OV-1 Mohawk. The devil in disguise.

Enzo this little buggy looking dragonfly is coming nicely along in spite of the trials and tribulations you've been experiencing.  I have the Rodan Kit I want to do for this .GB along with an A-26K if I can get my current 2 done and there is still time on the score clock to finish them. That would give me a record 5 projects for a GB.

• Like 3

God willin' and the creek don't rise... much...I hope I can begin it  by next weekend. I have a VERY crowded work bench at the moment. More of a case of My bench overfloweth. This GB  will be the death of me yet. Whatta way to GO!:hobbyhorse:

• Haha 4

13 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

This GB  will be the death of me yet. Whatta way to GO!:hobbyhorse:

He who dies with the most builds in progress, wins.  :D 

I currently have 21 builds in progress but 10 of those are in the Matchbox GB and are on the cusp of completion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't be able to move with that many builds at once. But I only have a square meter to work with at best.. and half of that is taken up with one big wing. Now if you count the projects sitting in bags on the shelf and on the floor that are in the queue to be started, then I have another 10-12.

2 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

this little buggy looking dragonfly

That's exactly what it looks like!   It kind of reminds me of the spaceship LEXX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexx

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

A-26K

18 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

:wub:    I would really like to see that.  :popcorn:  

Yes as would I :) No pressure Loren ;) 

21 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I think I'm losing the plot.  :mental: 

Join the club😄 - so many builds in progress that the few remaining "little grey cells" can't cope!

Pete

Edited by PeterB

25 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Join the club😄 - so many builds in progress that the few remaining "little grey cells" can't cope!

I have one word that will solve all your problems.  Spreadsheet!  :D 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have one word that will solve all your problems.  Spreadsheet!  :D 

Hi Enzo,

Interesting idea but if you have one and are still losing the plot I have to wonder if it is worth the effort!🙄 Last time I did anything like that it was more of a flow chart covering the complete refurbishment of about 15 diesel loco bodyshells - strip, detail, clean, prime, paint base colour, etc. and it was quite helpful, but I am a lot older and far less regimented now - I do things as and when I feel like it, which I suppose is an excuse for barely organised chaos!:frantic:

Pete

Edited by PeterB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The greeblies are ready for fitment.

spacer.png

They eagle-eyed among you will notice that there is no nose gear in the photo.  Well...   that's just the latest problem.  This kit continues to fight me to the bitter end.  The nose undercarriage is composed of five pastic parts and half a dozen PE parts.  :yikes:  Two of the plastic parts are forks to enclose the wheel.  These are 3x1mm: ridiculously tiny!  I had to pick them up with tweezers.  Being away of the dangers of handling with tweezers I was very careful indeed and didn't apply too much pressure.  All to no avail. :fraidnot:  One of the fork parts pinged off into the unknown as a great rate of knots. :wall:   I can only assume that the carpet monster has it.  

I thought that I would fit the other fork part and knock something up from plastic card to replace the lost part.  This time I was too careful and didn't apply enough pressure t the tweezers.  The carpet monster definitely has that one.    Eventually I managed to knock something up with carves plastic card.  Two problems:  it looks rubbish and it has no structural integrity whatsoever. :wall: 

So I gave up.   I will use a nosegear leg from an Airfix Skyhawk (having used an SAC white metal set on the Skyhawk model).  The Skyhawk nosegear looks nothing like the Mohawk nosegear but if anyone notices, I will just tell them that the early Mohawks had different parts to the later ones. :lol:  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's finished.  :phew:  But it fought me right to the very end! 

I fitted the mainwheels and because the gear legs were very flimsy indeed, I reinforced them with some Araldite.  By the time it cured, the starboard wheel was at an odd angle. :(  But at least it is far more robust now.  The very last thing I intended to do was to fit the props with Bluetak.  There is no spindle to allow them to ritate.  I pressed a little too hard and the front face of the port nacelle collapsed and fell into the nacelle,  That required a bit of juggling to get it back into position and secured with liquid cement.  I simply glued the port prop into position.

Sadly I did not enjoy building this kit one bit.  :fraidnot:   But to misquote Dorthy Parker, I like having built it.  :lol:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And posing with its Hasegawa cousin.

spacer.png

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Well done for getting to the end. It certainly looks the part. I recommend a good long lie down after your struggles!

I've jumped straight into building the RS Models Dornier Do 17E.  Glutton for punishment!  :lol:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3