PK-304 - The other Jaguar

Having built the Matchbox Jaguar aircraft in this GB, I thought I would try my hand ay Matchbox's other Jaguar.

spacer.png

I rarely build car models, so I freely admit that I don't have a cloo what I'm doing!  :lol:  

• Like 10

Let's look at the sprues.   This seems to be a very nicely moulded kit, albeit somewhat simplified. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have some concerns about the chrome plated parts.  Will they respond well to adhesive?

spacer.png

• Like 6

First step was to build the engine and chassis.  My question in the previous post was answered straight away.  The chrome plated parts don't respond at all to polystyrene cement!  I had to use superglue which discoloured the chrome.  That isn't a problem as I had no intention of using the chrome as is.

spacer.png

After priming with grey plastic primer from a rattle can, I sprayed the parts with various shades of AK Xtreme Metal.  The suspension parts were hand painted with Tamiya XF-84 Dark Iron.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Looks like this will be a rousing build Enzo. CAnt tell if the driver is trying to find a gear or the cigarette lighter though the way he's leaning and the car going straight. Thing to remember with chrome plating,is to scrape off the chrome for the glue. reg. glue wont stick. Don't know about CA though. The last car I built was many decades ago.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing this come together.

My experience of Matchbox car kits in this group build is that even once the chrome has been removed, the parts don't always seem to respond to polystyrene cement but superglue does seem to work even if it can be a bit brittle.

4 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Looks like this will be a rousing build Enzo. CAnt tell if the driver is trying to find a gear or the cigarette lighter though the way he's leaning and the car going straight. Thing to remember with chrome plating,is to scrape off the chrome for the glue. reg. glue wont stick. Don't know about CA though. The last car I built was many decades ago.

From what I've seen of the SS Jaguar 100; the gear lever is tucked under the dashboard, so it could well be a bit of a reach to get it.  The gear lever is also very close to the fly-off handbrake and it is easy to pull the wrong one when going from 1st to 2nd...

• Like 4

I just want to share this link with you.

At first I thought the photograph was of an expensive diecast model.     It's not.  It's the real thing, perfectly restored.   :thumbsup: 

https://www.jaguarheritage.com/car/1938-ss-jaguar-100-2½-litre/

• Like 6

It's nice to see another car build in the mix Enzo. It will also be really interesting to see the kit's chromed parts being used for the shiny bits (rather than them being stripped and re-chromed), if that's what you're planning to do?

• Like 1

It's about time I updated this thread.

I primed everything with grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.  I then sprayed the undersurface of the body shell with Lifecolor UA-254 Panzergrau Deep Shade.   The interior was sprayed with Lifecolor UA-734 Worn Black and the seats with Lifecolor UA-7018 Revenge Black.  I then used Mig 1002 enamel track wash to highlight the creases in the fabric on the seats.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I masked off the dark grey areas.

spacer.png

And used red car primer from a rattle can as undercoat.

spacer.png

• Like 7

I then srapyed the body with the same red that I used on my Alpha Jet model, Ford Carnival Red.  This came out looking far too orange.  So then I tried Lifecolor LC-56 Gloss Red.   That didn't have the depth of colour that I wanted.

So I made a quick trip to my local car oarts shop.  I needed some grey primer anyway.  I use a lot of it! :lol:  I thought as this is a Jaguar, I should get a Jaguar red, but it didn't look quite right.   In the end I went for Vauxhall Power Red.

spacer.png

All the main components displayed together.

spacer.png

And trial fitted.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Just checking in on this one, boy, you are one busy little Matchbox modeller and we'll have to do an end of GB countback to see who takes out the prize for "most kit builds in this GB'. You must be well and truly up there! Really nice progress on this Jag. looks lovely. 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• 2 months later...