Hawker Hunter FGA 9

224 Peter

Another kit that has sat, waiting for attention, for more than 20 years. 

Back in 1999 I was, as they say, between jobs, so I bought the then relatively new Revell kit. I've always had a fondness for the Hunter, since 111 Squadron performing as the Black Arrows at Farnborough Air Show. 

I got the main structure of the kit finished and bought a sheet of Xtradecal transfers, XD05-32. 

The new job started with  house move and the kit, well it went into the same place as the others. 

I finished the Tomcat...so time to start. up the Hunter. 

This is where I am with the kit...

spacer.png

There is quite a bit of surface work needed, the next stage is to prime and see how much more work is needed. 

I will finish her as XE552, with 54 Squadron at West Raynham in the early 1960s. Why? Because I want to model an aircraft with an aluminium underside!! 

The airframe had quite a long life of 25 years, first flying on 10 January 1956 and sadly ending  with a write off on 23 February 1981 when with 2 TWU she dived, inexplicably, into the north sea 20 miles offshore from RAF Lossiemouth. The pilot was never found. 

More as it happens... sooner than later, I hope. 

• Like 6

Some progress...

this is with white primer, rather better than I expected and not much further cleaning up needed. 

spacer.png

A couple of points to note, based on a good look at Hunter XF375 at BDAC, Old Sarum. 

The small rectangular vent on the wing, just aft of the intake, is the splitter bleed vent, and should be open. Revell have moulded really good boundary layer splitters inside the intake and a close look between the blade and the fuselage should show daylight...

The undercamber behind the leading edge extension is rather overstated, it is almost imperceptible on XF375. I could fill and sand, but I don't think it is worth the effort. 

The Air Brake actuator sits in a recess in the fuselage on the real aircraft. Revell has left this off, so the actuator sits on the surface of the fuselage. The solution is easy: fit the air brake closed! 

Next is to spray the underside silver, followed by the upper in grey, before painting the green by brush! 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

And now with the underside in. "High Speed Silver". This was a paint, not polished metal and was more glossy than not. Getting a good representation on a model isn't easy: there are multiple routes, but my experience is that they are all fraught. 

I've seen models that look perfect, but I've always struggled. 

For this large area I brush painted the wheel wells in dull aluminium, and then masked them off. 

For the main surface I used Tamiya Gloss silver, applied in multiple light coats: i'm not really happy, but it will do: comments most welcome. 

spacer.png

The photo makes the surface look duller than it really is. 

I did say I'm not happy painting silver? 

Anyway, over to the upper surface in grey and green, that I know I can do! 

• Like 4

The upper surface painting went well, brushed with Humbrol traditional paints.....

From the starboard side... 

...spacer.png

And from above...

spacer.png

There are brush marks, if you zoom in closely, but I'm happier with this than the sprayed silver under side. 

Next.... a couple of bits to touch up, then legs and stuff. 

After that, transfers and finally, fuel tanks.  

• Like 9

I have had the same kit sitting on the shelf awaiting finishing for over 20 years too. Definitely one of the best Hunter kits available....but so large. No idea where I will display it when I finally get round to finishing it. Talking of Revell Hunters, has anyone else made their 1/72 offering and found the canopy sits too high if fitted in the closed position?

12 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

You’re a brave man brush painting such a large area.

I sometimes brush paint 1/48 kits then airbrush the varnish which helps to reduce the brush marks.

John

A light polish with wet and dry paper then airbrush gloss varnish before transfers. 

I struggle with an airbrush, getting the coverage even and how I'd want it. Silver is the colour of the devil, on the Hunter thankfully it is on the underside. Tamiya rattle can I can use, silver in the airbrush is always a disaster. 

The U/C is going on now, more photos soon! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The kit has a million and one microscopic details on the transfer sheet, most so small that they will be invisible at more than a few feet, so I plan to ignore most. 

What is the group view on this issue? 

The rest of the model is developing nicely, the main markings are in place and the U/C fitted, so photos soon. 

Here she sits on her wheels...

On-the-last-phase.jpg

Gear doors, drop tanks, canopy framing and a few more stencils to add, plus paint the nose radome and fin dielectric panels "almost black". 

The U/C is complex and Revell's designers seem to have put accuracy over ease of assembly and strength! 

The next post will be in "Ready for Inspection"! 

• Like 4