1/48 Su-25M1 Ukrainian Air Force

13 hours ago, dreamwriter said:

Amazing work! Is beautiful! Can you tell me which KP kit variant you used? I have the Eduard limited edition of the Su-25K and I'm trying to figure out if I can turn it into an M1.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it was the original OEZ kit, I built it alongside the KP Su-25UTG and the details on the newer UTG were sharper than the older mold.  I can't see any problem with making an M1 with the Eduard kit, a couple things in the cockpit and the flares are the main things to add, otherwise there's just the unique coloring of the Ukrainian jets. 

Here's an M1 cockpit photo I used, that spotters website has good reference photos

jgKYoHH.jpg

14 hours ago, opus999 said:

I haven't been a fan of digital camo, but you sure made this look nice! 

Nor was I, the decals sure made the idea easier to consider but it was more the non standard colors that drew me to it- the ladder, flares and landing gear are a rich blue gray which I liked and the cockpit was the darker Sukhoi color.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Thanks, I'm pretty sure it was the original OEZ kit, I built it alongside the KP Su-25UTG and the details on the newer UTG were sharper than the older mold.  I can't see any problem with making an M1 with the Eduard kit, a couple things in the cockpit and the flares are the main things to add, otherwise there's just the unique coloring of the Ukrainian jets. 

Here's an M1 cockpit photo I used, that spotters website has good reference photos

jgKYoHH.jpg

Nice,thank you very much for the info Paul!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've got a Zvezda 1/48 in the stash along with the DN Models digital mask. I've also got the Hataka Ukrainian AF set for the colours, but based on photos, can't tell if the underside of the Frogfoots are Silver Grey, which is used in the top schemes too

Did you settle on any specific colours, paul?

Gaz

7 hours ago, GazB said:

I've got a Zvezda 1/48 in the stash along with the DN Models digital mask. I've also got the Hataka Ukrainian AF set for the colours, but based on photos, can't tell if the underside of the Frogfoots are Silver Grey, which is used in the top schemes too

Did you settle on any specific colours, paul?

Hey Gaz,

The bottom is definitely a bluish gray but different from anything in the upper camo. I had the MRP Ukrainian paints to work with, I used two of them for the overall top and the bottom.

The photo below of the crashed aircraft shows the top and bottom colors well.

HOnqUhM.jpg

BKuwpLr.jpg

The other main color change is the cockpit is more like the Su-35/57 darker blue gray and the landing gear, inner doors, ladder and chaff tubes share a similar color. I believe I used AKAN 73069 straight for the cockpit and slightly altered (lightened and blued) for the other mentioned areas.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Hey Gaz,

The bottom is definitely a bluish gray but different from anything in the upper camo. I had the MRP Ukrainian paints to work with, I used two of them for the overall top and the bottom.

The photo below of the crashed aircraft shows the top and bottom colors well.

HOnqUhM.jpg

BKuwpLr.jpg

The other main color change is the cockpit is more like the Su-35/57 darker blue gray and the landing gear, inner doors, ladder and chaff tubes share a similar color. I believe I used AKAN 73069 straight for the cockpit and slightly altered (lightened and blued) for the other mentioned areas.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Paul. It seems the Hataka set doesn't have a specific colour to match the Su-25 lowers (they just mention Signal Grey, which isn't quite as blue on the MiG I used it for the lower half on), Thanks for the pointers, though. I just need to work out how to do the masking process correctly, hah. Especially with the way the patterns cut into the lower colour :)

Gaz

• Like 1

Good work. So I'm thinking; "Gee. That's awfully tricky painting achieved, there." But then I wise up after reading about Universal Camouflage Pattern (UCP) decals. Still an achievement to apply this neatly and accurately.