Grumman/BAC Tomcat FGR 1

Grumman/BAC Tomcat FGR 1

The hypothesis behind the model was that the Tornado had proved to be a financial disaster and so had followed the TSR2 into the scrap heap because the German Government withdrew support. The UK Government, in something of a state of panic took up the Grumman F14D Super Tomcat 21 project and evolved it into the Grumman/BAC Tomcat FGR 1 which first flew in early 1980.  

Here we have, ready for inspection, my Grumman Tomcat FGR 1 resplendent in Desert Pink, Serial ZD 790 serving with 15 Squadron, RAF and based at Muharreq Airfield, Bahrain during the first Gulf War.

She was delivered to the RAF in late 1983 and scrapped in 2003.

The model shows a weapons kit that may be improbable, with 2 Paveway laser guided bombs, a TIALD laser marking pod, 2 AGM 65D Mavericks and 2 ALARM missiles, but who knows?

This model is dedicated to the late Mike McEvoy’s and his love of “what if” models!

From Behind....

spacer.png

The sharp end...

spacer.png

With Wings forward...

spacer.png

And from the underneath....

Tomcat-FGR-1_e.jpg

I was given the kit in the 1980s as a present, in those days children and career took most of my life: model making retreated. The kit sat, started, until 2018 when I started a pathway into retirement. 

This is the build story....

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, everyone, for the positive comments... they are really appreciated! 

I built the kit because I was gifted it, and not wanting to finish it in USN or Iranian markings I came up with a vaguely plausible story to explain the presence of RAF Tomcats during Operation Granby! 

Onwards and upwards...

The next "Mike McEvoy project is the RAFwaffe: I have a project ready to start, the first aircraft will be the 1/28th scale Revell Fokker D7, as captured in 1918 and flown by the then very young RAF!! 

The rest are WW2. 

Watch this space..

That's such a great what if. Almost looks highly appropriate. Imagine seeing that on a low-level bombing run across the desert alongside a Buccaneer or two.  

Mike would love that I'm sure!  

Martin

• 2 weeks later...