Vosper 70ft MTB, scratchbuilt to 1:48th scale

Following on from my build thread (Vosper build thread), here are a few pictures of the completed model

MTB 34 was one of the first batch of 70ft MTB's built by Vosper's as part of the 1939 contract, completed in August 1940.  She was converted to a target tug (CT23) in 1943 and sold in 1945.

The drawings for the project were taken from the 1991 Model Shipwright plan and John Lambert's plan for marine Modelling international.  In addition, details were confirmed from the IWM builders drawing that both these plans seem to be based upon.  All rescaled to 1:48th scale and re-drawn.  The colour scheme shows her with the 4th MTB flotilla based at HMS Beehive in Felixstowe in 1941 with very distinctive blue (B15) and white bands as illustriated in Coastal Craft History Vol 1

Below is that actual vessel  at speed

mtb34c

and the colour artwork from the Coastal Craft book.  The torpedo chute bands are indicative of a senior officer in command

colour composite clean

The hull of the model is timber on ply frames, diagonal planked as per full-scale practice, the rest is a combination of brass, wood and some 3d printed items.  The model has no commercial components, though the props were cast in bronze by Shapeways to my drawings

She is shown weathered, not pristine, mounted on turned brass pillars and an oak base.  A single crewman walks the deck to help people understand the scale and she carries a rigged danbuoy on the port side

Dad's Boats-2

Dad's Boats-1

Dad's Boats-3

Dad's Boats-16

Dad's Boats-15

Dad's Boats-14

Dad's Boats-17

Here she is next to my last model, a Schnellboote to the same scale, for size comparison showing how relatively diminutive these vessels were

Dad's Boats-27

Dad's Boats-29

Dad's Boats-25

Thanks to those who followed the build thread, I hope it was interesting and informative.

I'll be back very soon with a new thread

Cheers

Steve

• Like 49
  • Thanks 2

Dear Steve, that is a little jewel, the subtle diagonal planking on the hull, the striking colour scheme, the slightly scuffed look, it is simply beautiful, and you bashed it out in no time at all, I am in awe :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Thanks for sharing this, just lovely !!

Cheers

David

• Thanks 1

Gidday Steve, it's a superb model of the boat, with extremely good clutter detail. 🙂 As you said the crewman is a good idea for the boat size and the schnellboote gives a good comparison of their adversaries. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

A beautiful model very promptly built.  

Thanks Steve, I seem set on a path of reconstructing examples of all WW2's coastal forces

17 hours ago, Dancona said:

the subtle diagonal planking on the hull,

Cheers David, with all models there are things we like and things we don't like so much, and to me, the thing I like most this time is that you can just see the diagonal planking, as you can in the real boats, in particular once they have been at sea for a time.  I'm also happy with the torpedo chutes in the timber hul.  That was not great on the Schnellboote, (pigs ear emoji) way too much filler needed.  I took a lot more time and care in the drawing on this one and it paid off

17 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

with extremely good clutter detail.

Thanks Jeff, I never quite know when to stop with the clutter, but study actual deck pictures and you never see a clean sweep in wartime, kits are all too clean imho.  I also love adding little things like the buckets, almost a signature of mine

15 hours ago, beefy66 said:

These photos make me think it is 1/72 scale

Cheers Beefy, that's a bit of a back-handed compliment given the larger scale should be better, however, I know what you mean.  As I said in the build thread, I had a bit of a disaster with the weathering meaning more repainting than I wanted.  This has given a thickness to the finish that is very far from perfect.  I promise to get better at this stage of the build process....  More practice needed, we never stop learning

15 hours ago, PAUL67 said:

looking forward to the next one….

Cheers Paul, actually so am I, I have some exciting things to talk about next time, first post coming very soon

14 hours ago, longshanks said:

Your best to date Steve

I appreciate the comment Kev, though personally, the SGB is still my favourite

3 hours ago, Brian Derbyshire said:

Museum quslity

Thanks Brian, that is always my aim and who knows, maybe one day some will end up there

Thanks again guys for all the likes and comments, I just try to do the best my now very clumsy fingers allow

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Thanks Jeff, I never quite know when to stop with the clutter, but study actual deck pictures and you never see a clean sweep in wartime, kits are all too clean imho.  I also love adding little things like the buckets, almost a signature of mine

Gidday Steve, I agree with that. In my ships it's lockers, hawser reels, winches etc. Different scale and hence less detail on mine but yeah, pre-stealth days pile the stuff on! Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brian Derbyshire said:

showed" Issott franchini? " Petrol engines

That's right Brian, the pre-war ones had Italian engines, but they naturally could not be sourced after the war started so we had to make do with US built Packard marine engines which were not as powerful and chipped the speed somewhat

Cheers

Steve

On 25/02/2022 at 10:13, robgizlu said:

I just love that scheme and the Dan buoy is a thing of beauty.

It certainly is different Rob, and getting those diagonal lines to line up when perfectly amidships was interesting.  Ever since I saw that picture of a Danbuoy being launched from a Flower, I had to find a reason to make one.  Seeing them aboard the MTB's synched that

On 26/02/2022 at 10:34, stevehnz said:

I can't think of a single aspect that doesn't appear "just right" to me.

That's all I'm aiming for Steve, trying to get the model to look in period, its a never ending journey

1 hour ago, JohnWS said:

Great attention to detail,

The joys of scratch-building John, as you know, all the detail (and errors) are your own.  The daft detail (like how many handwheels the smoke machine had) are the things I love.  BTW, the answer is three but I managed to knock one off  :banghead:

27 minutes ago, GRK said:

I struggle to make some kits

So, give up with kits, the sense of freedom is amazing.  Unshackled, make can whatever you can find enough detail on 👍 People seem to spend more time making kits because they change them to get stuff right or add detail.  Personally, I think starting from scratch is actually easier

11 minutes ago, Richard E said:

speed with which you create your models

Thanks Richard, finally being retired is certainly a help when it comes to speed

Thank you all for the likes, I'm glad my little project was interesting.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5