USS Iowa

Although I usually build aeroplanes, this will be my first ship. I really like the looks of the Iowa class ships and I came across the USS Iowa 1/200 scale from Trumpeteer. Big one. I collected some PE designed for the Missouri but I can use a lot on the Iowa and got some books for reference. Well anyway I have been on and off this build for almost one year.

USS Iowa 24Jan44

This is how I want it to be when finished, only with the straight lines, I am not sure wether I can duplicate the feathered lines.

DSCN7385

And it is big

DSCN7386

The only part that is finished, number 1 turret, and the easiest one to build....

DSCN7390

The PE and paperwork

I have a couple of questions to begin with.

What sort of paint do I use. The scheme is a measure 32 design 1B but I cannot seem to find which brand has the paint to use for this or which one to use.

To make thing less static I want to raise the number 2 turret guns and turn the gun like it is now. But I run into troubles with the blast bags. On no1 turret I used alufoil  to make it look a bit more like a blastbag, but when the guns are up the kit part is useless. Anyone has an idea how to solve this?

That is all for now. I am a terrible slow builder and quite easily distracted so this will take a couple of years I guess.

Cheers Rick.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Rick Martens said:

What sort of paint do I use.

Rick.

I will strongly recommend https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/

These are the most accurate colours you will find.

This looks an interesting build, way out of my price range and SIZE range, I don’t think my work bench is big enough.

I look forward to your progress, no matter how fast or slow.
Jon

8 hours ago, Rick Martens said:

To make thing less static I want to raise the number 2 turret guns and turn the gun like it is now. But I run into troubles with the blast bags. On no1 turret I used alufoil  to make it look a bit more like a blastbag, but when the guns are up the kit part is useless. Anyone has an idea how to solve this?

On my 1/350 New Jersey I used a Dremel to carve out the kit blast bag to make it the correct shape:

tn_DSCN4470

Might be an option, but I don't know the Trumpeter kit 🤔

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rick Martens said:

The only part that is finished, number 1 turret, and the easiest one to build....

One small point, it's not finished, as you've not got the ladders on the side of the turret fitted. 🙂

Edited by johndon

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Unless you're stuck on doing the MS32 scheme, I would take @foeth advice and do the smart MS22 repaint, you also get to do the final AA and radar fit which is busier on such a large 1/200 canvas.

The only problem with that is the kit depicts Iowa as built with open bridge, she was i believe painted in MS22 after a refit during which she was fitted with the later fully enclosed bridge.. . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

The only problem with that is the kit depicts Iowa as built with open bridge, she was i believe painted in MS22 after a refit during which she was fitted with the later fully enclosed bridge.. . 

Ah, really? Like I said, I'm not familiar with the kit...that's a shame!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, foeth said:

There's a lengthy tread at ModelWarships where Iowa's camo(u)flage pattern was discussed recently. Apparently the camo pattern was updated in April 1944 so you don't have to add that feathering (which looks terrible IMO)

file.php?id=140083&mode=view

I checked that post, and I will go for the straight lines. The feathered lined look terrible I agree

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Faraway said:

Rick.

I will strongly recommend https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/

These are the most accurate colours you will find.

This looks an interesting build, way out of my price range and SIZE range, I don’t think my work bench is big enough.

I look forward to your progress, no matter how fast or slow.
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the advise. Do need to find a Dutch retailer because ordering in the UK wakes up customs I am afraid.

13 hours ago, Alan P said:

On my 1/350 New Jersey I used a Dremel to carve out the kit blast bag to make it the correct shape:

Might be an option, but I don't know the Trumpeter kit 🤔

Thank you, I will give that a try. I am stucked with the MS 32 scheme because of the bridge and because I really like it.

6 hours ago, Rick Martens said:

I checked pictures and drawnings but the ladders on the side are not there

My apologies, it looks like Iowa didn't have the ladders on the sides of turret 1...