Shiny Night Stalker (finally shiny)

neil5208

Been waiting to start this one for a while but now I been moved from my normal work bench into a cupboard I realised just how many kits I have in the stash, 40+ (SWMBO also saw these) and in the move this one came to her attention so she said this should be the next one built. Hobby Boss's P61A Black Widow kit in 1/72, this will be done as aircraft 42-25531 which was the personal aircraft of General Earl W Barnes who was the commander of the 13th Air Task Force, summer 1944. This was the only Black widow to be unpainted if only for 3-6 months before being painted black. In 1/48 decals are available but I couldn't find them in 1/72. I have the Eduard cockpit etch and a decal set for the serials.

qLgdQRh2_o.jpg 

I have seen other pictures that do not have the art work on the tail but I may try making this as a decal.

The Hobby Boss kit looks nice and I will be using Billn53 previous build as reference and other than the paint scheme it should be straight forward. I sprayed some of the interior green at some point but nothing more.

NhuykkJC_o.jpg

ViWkDJow_o.jpg

jUcZvwIY_o.jpg

H0hQ8nU4_o.jpg

ykNrGRkn_o.jpg

rphvxW0n_o.jpg

l0XkznDa_t.jpg

Edited by neil5208
  • Like 5

Nice kit but with a couple of inaccuracies - like the blunt leading edge intakes.  

I found the most difficult part was sorting the fuselage seam line beneath the cockpit.  It wasn't massive but it was persistent, and I lost a lot of surface detail by filling and sanding.  If I were to make this kit again, I would check the fit in this area carefully and, if necessary, try a prop between the fuselage halves to rectify any mismatch.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

I thought this was a fine kit, which went together quickly (I built mine OOB in 10 days). The fit along the lower canopy line is problematic, which Martin (above) has mentioned if I understand him correctly.  

Broadly, yes.  Although my upper and lower fuse halves also did not fit well due, I think, to deformation of the top half.  However that deformation also affected the canopy fit.  When joining upper and lower parts,  if the upper half is propped open until the glue dries, to match the lower half, I think that would fix the canopy fit also.

Rgds

Martin

• Like 1

After Mike and Bills comments I removed the 3 parts that make up the fuselage from the sprue for a test fit. First just the upper and lower fuselage sections.

7WPSF0s9_o.jpg

Fit looks pretty good, and then with the lower wing/cockpit floor section added.

rujn2gak_o.jpg

Again looks ok but there is more parts to go inside and there is no locating pins between the fuselage sections. Another thing I noticed yesterday is that 42-25531 does not have the wing tanks fitted but the kit has both the wing tank and bomb pylon mounts moulded on to the lower wings so some plastic card was glue to the inside and will have filer in the slots tonight. Then I can scrap/sand flush.

SMwZlode_o.jpg

YWRHRlHG_o.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Made some progress with the photo etch this week in the cockpit and radar op station.

UNlBOStN_o.jpg

4ya560ZC_o.jpg

LVoVLIFq_o.jpg

2W9CvniT_o.jpg

Assembled the tail booms, these quick assemble kits have snap together fittings so line up quite well but there will be some minor filling and sanding.

iz8PU39e_o.jpg

A quick test fit of the booms

tPtp53rL_o.jpg

• Like 5

Continued with the etch work so I can get the cockpit finished off and closed up. Commander seat belt draped over the arm rest rather than following the seat back. I will give these a coat of Klear, a light oil wash and flat coat and the glue marks will disappear.

G7FHpZEg_o.jpg

crz7EGWc_o.jpg

Wheels made up and sprayed with Tamiya Nato Black

RvmKPuRl_o.jpg

Engines sprayed with Tamiya XF56, props with XF1. The spinners will be silver with a red tip on the starboard engine.

5al9xXCq_o.jpg

Sanding on the tail booms went pretty well with just some sprue glop needed to take care of the slight gaps.

tOlGt2T3_o.jpg

AsneYdk8_o.jpg

• Like 4

I'm finding this kit infuriating sometimes, some parts clip together perfectly and others have no alignment method such as the two cockpit side panels hence the clips.

pWjo2tam_o.jpg

The aircraft commander seat in position after the oil wash and flat coat.

VmEqKeyF_o.jpg

Side panel and IP fitted.

XJLUz5U2_o.jpg

RONSPDDo_o.jpg

Another test fit of the wing and fuselage sections

Lyc2F6Rr_o.jpg

dQeL78eU_o.jpg

uYAndvaq_o.jpg

I decided to check the fit of the clear parts.

aZGhW1rS_o.jpg

Lbxy9RT1_o.jpg

RHuic7Yc_o.jpg

A bit more work on the engines as well.

p1ZV1OGa_o.jpg

I sprayed the one of the engine cowls with the Mr Hobby metallic 211 but it is not the correct one.

LXDrnEr1_o.jpg

I will try to find the Super Fine Silver instead.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have fitted the lower fuselage and even after trial fitting and use of tape and clamps there is some gaps.

1Svr44XZ_o.jpg

ze573Eep_o.jpg

1c57mrtD_o.jpg

ix0PrT7l_o.jpg

Prop spinner and wheel hubs have been sprayed XF16 Aluminium.

MPrpdbve_o.jpg

7p9uun3P_o.jpg

Lastly I received the Mr Hobby SM201 Shiny Aluminium so I sprayed the second engine cowl, SM201 on the left and SM211 on the right.

xEuYqM3S_o.jpg

I personally cant see much difference between the two but will use a mix of both to have panel variation

• Like 2

Small update for the weekend.

Engines assembled and props dry fitted (tips yet to be painted).

ywyUUfpb_o.jpg

Wheels have had an oil wash to tone the aluminium down.

1QvqunCG_o.jpg

Tail booms and horizontal stabiliser assembled.

QW1de7K5_o.jpg

A small amount of filler and sanding on the fuselage join was needed.

Myq4E1O9_o.jpg

Y1rz4BcS_o.jpg

The radar op's seat has been fitted as well, there's some more etch to go into the cockpits once I'm happy with the seams and then the canopies can go on.

WpzkGFNY_o.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I made the decision to add some nose weight earlier in the week and used sprue gloop to secure, Not a good idea.

o3qm4o0L_o.jpg

The sprue gloop distorted the outside of the nose badly so I have had the apply filler to reshape.

AOzcfryI_o.jpg

The front cockpit glass has been fitted with no issue and I started masking this morning (an hour so far) and I fitted 2 of the last 5 pieces of etch to go into the radar ops section.

rRRlPaz0_o.jpg

knAFko8v_o.jpg

G3UEb3YZ_o.jpg

Its currently taped to the spray can so the glue can dry, once the other 3 parts are on the other side I will fit the rear canopy.

• Like 7

Put the rear clear part on before I noticed it had a mould seam so I used one of my new Flory sanding sticks to get rid of it and masked up with tape and Maskol. Also finished the front masking.

41bMhu5D_o.jpg

2pT9Gzri_o.jpg

Dm2V4rrw_o.jpg

V4nk5Byv_o.jpg

A spray of my interior green mix, Tamiya XF4 and XF1.

huAzH0QA_o.jpg

RLobI9WO_o.jpg

Mostly ok but found a gap.

Wa9KERup_o.jpg

Carefully fitted the tail boom sections and clamped up.

RnYDWkWa_o.jpg

zEnWdP5q_o.jpg

I'll leave that overnight to set and see how much filling the seams will need.

• Like 4

Been a bit busy the last week but got some bench time yesterday so I removed the clamps to find one of the tail boom seams had split.

ODXaWfit_o.jpg

So the filler came out and sorted quickly.

WxLRrSGL_o.jpg

I've got the nose reshaped 95% so that's been fitted tonight, this will need some more shaping but I can do this better on the fuselage.

l8g527c7_o.jpg

R8CihjFC_o.jpg

I would like to get some primer on soon so I can see any remaining seams to clean up.

• Like 4

I did manage to get some of the Mr Colour Super Metallic on but it went completely flat with no shine so I ordered some of the new AK Super Chrome ink. That works much better!

zhmQcDd5_o.jpg

JjMwIhH4_o.jpg

Resprayed the engine nacelles along with the under carriage doors.

fSjFcFjy_o.jpg

eOF1ZQSM_o.jpg

I haven't sprayed the topside yet but I don't want to push my luck with a new paint untill I'm sure its hardened fully.

• Like 3

• neil5208 changed the title to Shiny Night Stalker (finally shiny)

I redid a few area's I wasn't happy with on the underside and sprayed the upper side last night. Happy to report that the AK Super Chrome sands with no problems but need to be applied thick enough to be able to shine but if you put to much on can go crinkly such as wing roots.

U3USGKIT_o.jpg

This picture shows the last part sprayed has stayed more reflective that the areas around it but it should loose a bit as it dries more.

lqc5KTyx_o.jpg

vBwa2H9Z_o.jpg

o92JXvZY_o.jpg

SFa6RyV4_o.jpg

Next up is masking the canopy frames to be sprayed matt black and the radome in matt white. Then I will start experimenting in panel shading with differing tinted gloss clears

• Like 6