KPAAF MiG 21 BIS 1/72 Zvezda - FINISHED

Swamp Donkey

Okay, thanks to our generous hosts, I’m in with this. Fortunately I managed to find the wings, just missing the seat. It will be lurking somewhere. I also have some custom paint which I need to dig out of the shed

51901042809_588e756b2a_b.jpg

And this is my inspiration. Those undercarriage bays are an interesting colour

R41B1019

My photo, Wonsan Air Festival

and just to end, RIP Anna Karen, taking her final bus journey. No doubt Blakey will be waiting at the Cemetery Gates. Our younger members will not have a clue what I’m on about!

SD

• Like 11

I’m watching the TV in disbelief at events unfolding in Ukraine, whilst using my extensive photos of the MiG to stick the ‘lumps and bumps’ on in the correct places. No point in any more photos at the moment and with a busy weekend ahead may not get too much more done until next week. Need to find the missing bits and pieces (bang seat for a start) and I know I have things like canopy masks and other stuff, but where? 

SD

• Like 1

Lumps, bumps and pylons attached, primer on. Decal instructions would have you apply roundels under wings, my photos suggest no, no, no! Busy day so may not get any more done today, we’ll see. Could do with finding a pair of rails for the outer pylons, will have a look in the Eduard kit

51911659530_e915d43c36_b.jpg

R41B1060

the kit goes together nicely. May do a Hungarian display machine next

SD

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Wow, that would have been an experience? Good looking scheme!

It was! The IL76 ride was an experience! The only thing missing was an IL28, now that would have been a bit good

R41B1107

Had 30 minutes airborne on that beast, not something you get to do every day

SD

• Like 8

Wow....

I always thought Zvezda's Mig-21 has fitting issues and low detailed, but your build really made me think otherwise.

Love the interior colors too. :)

Interesting to see the Mig-21 looks very clean...

Hmmm... Air Koryo Il-76?

Any pictures of the interior? Do they fit the commercial seats or just regular web seats in it?

Cheers,

Mario

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lifeline said:

Wow....

I always thought Zvezda's Mig-21 has fitting issues and low detailed, but your build really made me think otherwise.

Love the interior colors too. :)

Interesting to see the Mig-21 looks very clean...

Hmmm... Air Koryo Il-76?

Any pictures of the interior? Do they fit the commercial seats or just regular web seats in it?

Cheers,

Mario

We were not allowed to take cameras on that flight. However, it was just an empty void with a few bench seats along the fuselage walls. The 76 is not designed for comfort!

SD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moggy said:

How did you wangle a Il-76 flight in North Korea?!?

Cheers, Moggy

We were on an organised trip to the Air Festival with most of the Air Koryo fleet available for rides, along with Mil 8’s and AN-2’s. I went for the 76, 62, Tu154 and the highlight, their immaculate IL18. Doubt the opportunity will arise again

SD

• Like 2

Great work on your build.

I like the colour for the undersurfaces, looks spot on to me. And a very wise choice to go with your own photographic proof rather than the decal instructions.

You were very lucky to have flown on such classic Soviet aircraft, the only ones I have flown on are the Mi-8 and Tu-154 which were civilian Bulgarian ones. Been all round a Ukranian Il-76 but thats probably a smoking hole now.🤬

🇺🇦

• Like 1