Airfix 1/48th Vampire F.3, 32 Sqn, RAF Nicosia, Cyprus, 1948

Hiya Folks,

Here is another 1/48th Airfix Vampire, this time built as per the kit as an F.3,..... but I wanted to build mine wearing the distinctive scheme worn by a handful of 32 Sqn aircraft based at Nicosia, Cyprus in October 1948 including VV196, which can be seen below in this photo from the aviation photo company, shared here for reference purposes only,...... I do own a copy of the same photo too! 

Vampire-VV196-32-sqn.jpg

The model was built from the box apart from a set of brass etched harness straps on the seat and finished overall using Tamiya rattle can Bare Metal Silver to replicate the High Speed Silver painted finish. For the decals I had to raid the spares box, with the unit badge on the nose coming from an old Esci decal sheet, the GZ codes were converted from a set of 1/32nd Spitfire decals, the F was made up from black strip, the B Type boom roundels and fin stripes came from Modeldecal sheets, and the upper wing C Type roundel and the serials came from Xtrdecal sheets. The model was given a brushed on coat of  Humbrol enamel gloss varnish, ready for the decals and they were then sealed into place with another coat. After a few days to dry, Polly Scale matt varnish was applied to replicate a weathered silver finish and the panel lines were given a watercolour wash to finish off the effect.

Here is the model;

DSCF3250-NEW.jpg

DSCF3243-NEW.jpg

DSCF3245-NEW.jpg

DSCF3246-NEW.jpg

DSCF3268-NEW.jpg

DSCF3260-NEW.jpg

DSCF3272-NEW.jpg

DSCF3263-NEW.jpg

DSCF3273-NEW.jpg

DSCF3275-NEW.jpg

DSCF3265-NEW.jpg

DSCF3266-NEW.jpg

DSCF3252-NEW.jpg

DSCF3254-NEW.jpg

And all three of my Airfix Vampire`s seen together,..... F.1, F.3 & FB.9;

DSCF3242-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

• Like 57
  • Thanks 4

That's a really nice Vampire F3.

There's something very appealing about the mix of B and C type markings.

With the nice selection of colour schemes and markings worn by the Vampire, I'll bet that there will be a steady stream of them rolling of your production line.

Chris.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cngaero said:

That's a really nice Vampire F3.

There's something very appealing about the mix of B and C type markings.

With the nice selection of colour schemes and markings worn by the Vampire, I'll bet that there will be a steady stream of them rolling of your production line.

Chris.

Cheers Chris,...... yeah I have a few more planned yet,...... I`ve just run out of somewhere to put them afterwards LOL

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Wow you have not wasted any time on these Tony- they all look excellent, love the colour scheme on the mk 1,well done sir!!

Colin

Thanks Colin,..... yeah the MSG & PRU Blue really works doesn`t it?

53 minutes ago, David A Collins said:

All three lovely models Tony 👍

I myself have made two of these Vampire F3's already, and plan more.

Thanks David,..... nice kit isn`t it,..... I look forward to seeing yours too mate. 

5 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Wonderful Vampire Tony with a lovely silver finish , I do love this scheme with the large codes .  Great shot of the Vampire family too.

Cracking work. 

Chris

Thanks Chris,..... when I saw the photo of the real thing I just had to model it,..... just watch, after I struggled with those non standard codes and Sqn badge, it will appear on a new decal sheet! 

5 hours ago, Duncan B said:

They are all beauties.

Duncan B

Thanks Duncan, glad you like them mate.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mick b said:

Lovely work Tony, I must’ve missed the FI WIP, need to search for that beauty. 😁

Mike

Thanks Mike,.... I didn`t do a WIP mate,.... so don`t bother looking! Ben (wellsprop) did one in Swiss markings and he made the conversion set!

6 hours ago, RichG said:

Very nice, Tony

:goodjob:

I like the HSS finish - looks really good in the photos.

Rich

Thanks Rich,..... glad you like it mate, cheers. 

3 hours ago, Andy Dyck said:

Wonderful! And a really nice collection! It’s a pity all these Airfix products are still not available in Germany! 

Thx for sharing 

Cheers Andy,....  sad that you cannot get them in Germany mate,...... might be best to order some from the UK? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

That's another beauty.

Fantastic pics with the Vampire family.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,...... glad you like them mate. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, pacificmustang said:

Lovely work as usual Tony. I knew you would be straight onto the Airfix Vampires 

Bruce 

Cheers Bruce,.... I`m thinking of doing an RAAF one too, with those large air scoops,..... I have one from a Classic Airframes kit,.... I just need to copy it,... somehow! 

• Like 1