Tim's A-7A Corsair - COMPLETED

Good to see another A-7 getting attention Tim and well done on picking this one up for £4 :) 

Edited by Col.
  • Thanks 1

So far I've applied the instrument panel decal.

Other thoughts: well this kit is past its best - some flash in evidence, and mold wear on lots for the edges.

Mostly raised panel detail, and indicator of the kits age - first appearing in 1967.

Crude engraving for the control surfaces.

No cockpit tub, just that instrument panel, and a very crude seat.

• Like 1

Hi Tim,

Yes it is a bit basic isn't it - AFAIK the original version did not even have the IP/dec - there is not one shown in the copy instructions I looked at on Scalemates, and my old kit certainly does not have one. It does not have the RHAW aerial or whatever it is on the vertical tail either so it must have had a bit of re-tooling at some point. Mine seems to be a slightly later boxing (Same artwork but different design on box) complete with minor flash, but has gone together fairly well so far.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

There's a notable difference between the nose shapes of your Airfix model and the Hasegawa kit with the former looking a lot more like correct than the latter.

• Thanks 1

Hi Tim,

Clearly you are intending to do the "Blue Tailed Flies" version - I was considering that but probably don't have the correct blue. I presume that your choice is for the prototype Deltic, but that is probably one of the few British railway blues I don't have - got LNER Garter blue, LMS Coronation Blue, BR Blue and Midland Pullman Nanking blue, but not that! If the decs work I hope to build the other option.

Pete

• Thanks 1

Coming along nicely Tim, it'll look very smart in those colours. I agree, with Peter, the Hasegawa kit is a bit the Jimmy Durante of the three of them, the MB one a bit under nourished, nonetheless, I'm sure it'll look good in the end.

Steve.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Coming along nicely Tim, it'll look very smart in those colours. I agree, with Peter, the Hasegawa kit is a bit the Jimmy Durante of the three of them, the MB one a bit under nourished, nonetheless, I'm sure it'll look good in the end.

Steve.

I'm thinking that I'll have to get the file out and do some sculpting.  I did have to look up Jimmy Durante . . .

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Four pounds? Yous was robbed, mate! Talk about starting from the back of the grid, this looks like a fight to the finish. 

Got to say I'm beginning to feel that way.  This kit isn't upto Hasegawa's usual mark - lacking in so many respects..

Shouldn't really be surprised, now that I've looked up its history on Scalemates.

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2022 at 6:36 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Nosecone fitted, which I reshaped with a file this morning.

Definitely looks the better for it too. The whole model looks superb in the Gull Gray over White scheme. Very much my favourite finish for USN types.

Steve.

• Thanks 1