1/144 Eduard Mig-21s

arfa1983

Well, I'm feeling very left out of this GB and I do have a 1/48 Eduard Mig-21bis in the stash. But i dont think I can do Attack/Bomber group build and do the Eduard kit justice so I'll cross my fingers we can get an India GB next year that I can use that kit for.

However, I have these little blighters which have been sitting around for ever. Sort of clearly beyond 25% complete (though it's gonna be a few steps backwards first). However, I will use this GB as a bit of a KUTA for myself and just display them in the Inspiration Gallery. 

The painting of these never went to plan. (HOW on earth do people make these little scale jets is beyond me) But I will give it another go. First order of business is to put them into a Simple Green Bath for a week and see if I can get most of the paint off. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Welcome aboard, and with what I think are our first 1/144 scale builds.

Interesting looking bath they are having, is it just washing up liquid?

Hello Craig .. Its a form of heavy duty cleaner thats supposedly more environmentally friendly than others. I guess it is as its received clearances from the U.S. Environmental protection agency. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Green

Ive read its very good at stripping paint but never tried it. Im sure there is a U.K./Euro equivalent if not the same brand ? 

• Like 2

Correct it is Simple Green. Let's see how it works on such old paint. It's good for giving the airbrush a deep clean too because it's completely benign to rubber and metals. 

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is how they look after 24hours or so. Silver one which had black acrylic as primer is back to plastic. The other one is back to primer (Tamiya laquer in a can probably) so that will still be fine for repainting. 

I'll give it another 24 hours and get an old toothbrush onto them too. 

Simple Green is a staple of the warhammer miniature community when buying (poorly) painted citadel miniatures off eBay! 

spacer.png

• Like 4

Well one of them is back down to bare plastic.

spacer.png

Then other one had some remaining primer on it but it was almost off. So I thought to use some acetone nail polish remover to get the last of it off. When that worked nicely, I thought it would be a good idea to give the windscreen a bath in it. 😐

Unfortunately it turned cloudy. But no bother. I decided to make this one as an abandoned one, with a cloudy windscreen and flat tyres! I also used it as a testbed for brush painting. I'm pretty happy with the effect I've created. I'll certainly be weathering it even further once I put on some Egyptian decals. 

If you've got any suggestions for making this look old and forgotten let let know! 

spacer.png

• Like 7

Well to say I had fun with this would be an understatement. 

First I applied the decals then mixed some white paint in with the softner on top to wash them out a bit. Then I went pretty crazy with Tamiya panel line accent dark brown. Finally after using some panel line accent grey to wash off the brown with a cotton bud I let it dry for an hour or two. Then I got out my cheap as chips oil paints which have oil literally leaking out the lids and gave it some polka dots!

spacer.png

I then used one of my son's soft paintbrushes (now mine) to blend it all together. 

The photo looks a lot darker than the real model and it actually looks better in real life. spacer.png

I actually tried to adjust photo to make it look more like how it appears. In reality everything looks a lot more subtle so it's a bit disappointing I can't capture it here. Maybe when I get proper pics it will look better.

Anyway I think this needs a little display base to show it in its abandoned state properly so I'll try find something. 

spacer.png

Edited by arfa1983
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Well I didn't feel like fettling with the Intruder today so started painting the second one of these. Decided to do the Slovak air force one as per my original plan many moons ago.

51945006207_e1137df407_b.jpg

I put the white on first. First coat...

51945983381_b35709f8f6_b.jpg

Brush, blow, repeat!

51946294559_bb1486cb84_b.jpg

This is how we look at the end of tonight's session.

51946588715_7ab8a4115c_b.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I imagine that took a few coats of white to get to that stage, looking good though.

🇺🇦

Yes, about 7 ultra thin ones. Will need 1 or 2 more in the morning I think. 

• Like 1

Mooooooo

51947607200_2692b20136_b.jpg

Then some grey...

51949396373_8b92c9c255_b.jpg

And finally done. They look a lot better in real life than the photos. I sprayed some pigment onto the Egyptian one and lost a lot of the subtle paint fading but oh well. These are probably the longest surviving members from my shelf of shame so I am glad to have them done. While they look kind of cool being so small and cute, I will not be switching from 1/48 any time soon. Though of course practice makes perfect. If I do ever see overtrees being sold it would be hard to not pick up another couple 🤣

I will make some small bases up for both of them, maybe I'll get to the craft shop today to get materials.

51949319646_6d5bd213b7_b.jpg

51949395513_6c09fb46e4_b.jpg

• Like 6

I finally got down to the craft store to buy some bases (and static grass) for turning these into little vignettes. 

Again they look a lot  better in real life than the photos! 

Will get some proper photos before posting in the (inspiration) gallery. 

51963814513_d69186d306_b.jpg

51964313055_816a8d7276_b.jpg

51962749672_b055af00c2_b.jpg

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great work sir, what are the bases forand what brand name ? Im always in the market for these kind of things. 

The bases are just little pieces of wood precut which people would normally use for crafting projects. These were rectangles with rounded corners but there was a multitude of other precut shapes available from ovals to flowers tk Tyranosaurus Rexs!  

• Thanks 1