1/72 Avro Arrow Cold War Concept Build

ErikT

Here's one that I started building a couple decades ago before taking a hiatus from model building.  It's a Hobbycraft Canada kit, if I recall correctly.  I dug it out of storage and cleaned it up, and then I decided that the tragedy of the Avro Arrow need not be the end of the story.  I wanted to do the beast up as though it had enjoyed a long career defending the West, so I painted it up to look like it was still flying in the late sixties, maybe based in Germany with a three-colour scheme and the old Canadian roundels.  I modified it with some external pylons and some better ordnance than what it was originally designed for.  It's finished with Tamiya acrylics and weathered with Abteilung oils.  Enjoy!

FXT1mvL.jpg

jfkYpwq.jpg

5uG61Bk.jpg

5szruZW.jpg

OSwjxtC.jpg

2o61lfq.jpg

JqAPhpk.jpg

v7PMemx.jpg

• Like 51
  • Thanks 1

An interesting aeroplane and an interesting and good looking model.

Were the Canadian aircraft in the late 50's and early 60's using brown/green top surfaces ?  That's interesting.  I didn't know that.

As an aside, if I (or anyone else) had been the driver I (and they) would most certainly appreciated a better view from the drivers seat than is available from the cockpit of this well armed monster machine.

FFH

35 minutes ago, FatFlyHalf said:

Were the Canadian aircraft in the late 50's and early 60's using brown/green top surfaces ?  That's interesting.  I didn't know that.

no they weren't ; and the OP said late 60s , the roundels would have been the newer style introduced with the new flag in '65. (one of the fin flashes is backwards, by the way)

Still, a neat way to finish up the old HC classic Arrow.  :)

Tony

• Like 1

Nicely done but it would have been more convincing if it was finished green/grey/ light grey though. And with possibly toned down roundels. Maybe an all over green like the CF-104 Starfighters were at one time in the 1970s.   I quite like the store load out too.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!  Yeah, I made a few mistakes here and there, but overall I'm pleased with this one, especially getting it out of the box and finishing it after so many years.  I just wanted to see the Arrow in a different dress than her original "bride left at the altar white", which is pretty much the entire story of the poor aircraft.  Eventually I plan to build a bigger scale in original colour and markings, but that's several layers down in my unbuilt model strata...

• Like 2