Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

SUNDAY MAY 1ST:

The day dawns damp and so I will repair to the paint shop in hopes of a dry weather window during which two silver finishes will be tested.

Victims:

P1010033.jpg

This poorer view shows several things.

P1010029.jpg

Firstly, that Heather and other's valuable photographical imagery advice went straight outa da winda, I forgot to darken the extra light again.

And secondly that a thin layer of Tamiya TS-90 didnt stick very well to glossy sellotape, first wafting of a strip of masking tape and some of the matted finish flew away, however no serious damage done.

Kestrel is in for another splash of Tamiya Silver spray.

Hind however is about to see if this

P1010036.jpg

Will spray up as well for me as its brother, Matt Silver(?) did for Johnny on his Demon.

And bringing up the name of Johnny, saviour of Hart variant model wheels allows me a minute to say to him "That was the way they came out of the bubbles, the tiniest of 'flash' buttons where the printer struck its resins, so very easy to clean off. I read somewhere 'it's just like magic!'"

Thank you sir.

One thing dismays me

P1010029.jpg

Those resin printing pedestals, ain't there something useful I can do with them?

Pondering...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Our good friend Johnny volunteered to make some for me the other day and wham, here they be.

Thanks Johnny mate.

Nice one Johnny.  Defo in the ‘best traditions of BM’.

[Point of archaic (non) interest -  nicked from a saying barrister’s ‘ave: “in the best traditions of the Bar” meaning someone’s done summat particularly (and increasingly infrequently in the contemporary age) honourable].

Course, now you’ve sorted your Fusion licence issue Bill it’s only a matter of time ‘till Johnny can save his postage pennies :D

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Fusion still giving me the withers Steve, but I have seven very essential reasons to get on with it, all the upstairs seats on the bus have been removed in a pique.

Now I need to learn to draw them in resin.

In the interim

Hunters

P1010037.jpg

My Frog Hunter as had some rudimentary innards scratched and washed with 71.351 Nato Black at the front and some generic Vallejo metallic silverish further back

Frog moulded that fuselage with no internal stuff other than a seat for the driver, everything that looks inside has been scraped into existence and since it cannot be seen it will do.

The i.p is ready to install in the front and the ejection seat is moulded and ready for Ron.

Later ron   :)

P1010040.jpg

This is the spare Matchbox panel ready to slip delicately in place.

Me?

Delicately?

Pass the horse shoeing tongs Digby.

Actually I could have used them to keep the fuselage together whilst the Tamiya Green set

P1010041.jpg

I used just about everything else.

Deep dark Bible Black in there, almost hardly worth messing about

P1010046.jpg

Ah well tidy that later and get on with Fusion360...

• Like 5

Fusion is beginning to be like a religious experience, every time I draw a line I get the urge to self-flaggelate...

Still it has to be done now the bus seats are toast.

Where are we?

Oh arrr, Hawkers.

All Hunters (so far) have wings, Kestrel yet another body fault disclosing coat, (yes disclosed body faults as required, rather more  than I was hoping for too!) and Hind had a wet spray of Vallejo Silber.

Turns out that the large bottle of silver Vallejo is even differenter to Johnny's reccommendation than I expected.

Ho hum, as the main resident of The Hundred Acre Wood might say.

P1010049.jpg

P1010052.jpg

Builder declare hisself happy enough with the Area Rule cockpit on the two seat Hunter, still tidying to do but as it stands? OK.

Not however happy with shiny nosed Hind, way too unshiny...

• Like 10

Hunters deffo looking good :clap: But I have no doubt you'll get the other two on par with them (I don't really see the defects you mentioned, but who knows better than you? :winkgrin:)

Ciao

• Like 2

On 30/04/2022 at 19:09, perdu said:

Approaching nirvana...

Here we are now, entertain us!

Nice looking hunk of yellow Milliput there.

I think your silver will be fine if you find a duller silver for the fabric bits to contrast it with.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Hoping to have the same result as Johnny did with his Demon Alan

viz:

51745972537_815342f58e_b.jpg

That would work nicely for me, fingers crossed.

And BMF isnt in my armoury, yet.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Wondered if you have discovered Molotow chrome pens Bill? I've just purchased three (different marker widths) for the first time ever as I'm building a Chevrolet for a grand offspring. The annoying this about these car kits is they have lots of chrome parts, which are sometimes good, others not so, but they all need cleaning up to remove sprue attachment points etc, and you loose the chrome.

These pens can restore it thus. I actually cleaned up and immersed all the chrome parts in bleach revealing underlying plastic, cleaned them up and airbrushed them gloss black (AK paints). This one shows one quick run around with these amazing opens. That's me in the reflection, taking the picture. The chrome sits on gloss black.

IMG20220507143656

The amazing thing is, these pens can be emptied and airbrushed on, and the results are same. Chrome excellence. I've seen you tube vids where the chrome can be toned down by semi gloss varnish. Incredible results. And I am just about to order a large refill tube, as all the markers can indeed be refilled, but obvs the refill liquid can be poured straight into an airbrush.

Further experiments will follow, but might be work a try on your Hind nose?

Terry

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wow Bill, what a finish with the ali, incredible finish. Sorry I've been away from my computer for more than a week, so playing catch up!!!

Colin

These are the painted I use a bill.

Acrylicos Vallejo 32 ml"Dull Aluminium" Metal Color https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B012A940OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_68S4NK9DG4JYTVWZGZ5G

I don’t know why but the Dull Aluminium always gives a better shine.  When I looked at the pic I thought how much better than mine it looked. Is that My one?  I can’t remember using kitchen roll to mask. Seems like a good idea. I’ll steal that. 😆

The multi build is looking spankingly good by the way , I’m a bit miffed the wheels got pinged off in the post, at least they weren’t damaged. (I’ll use a box next time) although it sounds like you’re well on your way to 3D printing yourself.  Bravo that man.

Johnny

• Like 2

Ah yes for avoidance of doubt, the above very shiny nose (Rudolf?) is on Johnny's lovely Demon.

Mine is only moderately silverish but the Prime deliverer will be sending me some Molotow tomorrow.

Then we will see...

• Like 3

7 hours ago, perdu said:

Ah yes for avoidance of doubt, the above very shiny nose (Rudolf?) is on Johnny's lovely Demon.

Mine is only moderately silverish but the Prime deliverer will be sending me some Molotow tomorrow.

Then we will see...

The molotow pens are fantastic. I found they do degrade over time which is a bit of a pain so maybe the refill will be a better option for long term use. Super shiny though. ☀️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

The molotow pens are fantastic. I found they do degrade over time which is a bit of a pain so maybe the refill will be a better option for long term use. Super shiny though. ☀️

I hope they aren't TOO shiny, but nothing ventured

I'm trying to import a drawing into Fusion such can then be manipulated, extruded and the like but so far I have it in there but it's like a ghostly self.

Nothing I do gets me to work on it.

Hope my book gives me more knowledge to play with.😃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, perdu said:

I hope they aren't TOO shiny, but nothing ventured

I have to say they are very shiny! Best airbrushed on large surfaces also. It airbrushes beautifully especially if thinned around 60 thinner/40 chrome with Mr Levelling thinner.

Terry

16521055243897496257639130741344.jpg

We'll see in a few days, shall not risk pouring firewater thinners on here for a while.

1652105557571178451289264291743.jpg

I have reservationjs about this side's upper surface...

Look at that tomorrow.

• Like 6