Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

I may have to do that but then the decal will lose its transparency

The effect I want aim for is undoubtedly HSS faded, covered with a degraded decal film

Spurrimenting continues

• Like 2

Wrestling the Hind kicking and screaming into shape Bill :D

I intended it to mean the Hind was metaphorically kicking and screaming (obvs.) - but decided to leave it ambiguously unpunctuated just in case there’s been the odd bit of Bill k & s along the way ;)

• Haha 5

The Airfix Hurricane got some more attention, I was surprised there was no attempt to pop in a gunsight and had to take a slim piece of clear acetate, bend it and paint it and stick it on the i.p. cover (there is a word but my failing memory fails me...) thingy.

16559903661966958252840748473599.jpg

I have few pictures of Mk 1s with a similar looking sight just here so that's what I will go with.

Then of course time to close off the cockpit with the screen before I begin masking the thing off

16559905891864555866576195771234.jpg

There are a few unexpected tiny gaps through which air/paint might find its way into the clear spaces so very careful sealing them off is the next task.

16559906374889157472750314540312.jpg

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

The Airfix Hurricane got some more attention, I was surprised there was no attempt to pop in a gunsight and had to take a slim piece of clear acetate, bend it and paint it and stick it on the i.p. cover (there is a word but my failing memory fails me...) thingy.

16559903661966958252840748473599.jpg

I have few pictures of Mk 1s with a similar looking sight just here so that's what I will go with.

Then of course time to close off the cockpit with the screen before I begin masking the thing off

16559905891864555866576195771234.jpg

There are a few unexpected tiny gaps through which air/paint might find its way into the clear spaces so very careful sealing them off is the next task.

16559906374889157472750314540312.jpg

I think your looking for the word "Coaming.".

Selwyn

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hurricane shaping up beautifully, Bill :clap: :clap: I'm with Selwyn, you are probably looking for the word "coaming". Am I teaching you an English word? Is the world still spinning the right way? :rofl2:

Ciao

• Haha 6

Yes it's a coaming Selwyn thanks and you Giorgio, it has to be your turn someday doesn't it?

Thank you both, these days I find the 'bon mot' vanishes as I stress to remember it then later when the pressure eases it comes back into the old bonce.

It came to me just before I spotted your replies, but then I might just say that anyway  ;)

• Haha 4

• perdu changed the title to Hawker's Kestrel, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

Spanking little catch up our Bill.

The Hind is looking rather splendid with her (eventual) shiny schnozz. Please don’t  go brown and green, we’ll never find her again. 🫥😉

The kestrel is (I don’t know how you do it) looking rather smooth and splendid under paint and that Hurri is clipping along at a rate of knots. Canopy seems to fit well too. 👏👏👏.  Don’t forget you’ll need to drill those wheels for the hind.

After night poking folk with swords this thread is a real tonic. 🤺 Thanks. 👍

Johnny

• Like 3

Johnny's wonderful wheels deserve decent paint jobs so I, being aware my hands wobble like jellified things, have been trying different methods of applying paint to them.

This might do it

P1010135.jpg

This tape recorder from the days when I was chairman of our car club, used to keep records on meetings but a function better done these days by my phone, has been auditioned for the rotating gently job.

A valve cap from a Schraeder valve cut and trimmed to allow the tyre to be cockpit glued to it before the rotating begun

P1010140.jpg

This does seem to be a viable idea but has a drawback in that the wheel isn't kept centred.

More thought ongoing...

The tyre is NATO black Vallejo and the rim is Vallejo silver with the hub centre painted in "C" flight's Prussian blue, I got one good one but the other was not as well centred over the valve cap.

As I said, more thinking about it ensues.

• Like 15

8 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Ere! You calling our Bill simple? 🤪🥸😜

sorry. 🧥

He does know, you know Johnny mate.

Trouble I'm having learning basic CAD which he's having to sort out for me.

Oh yes, he knows.

Any road up I had a bit more of a think and came up with this.

16564874620901989009568883710736.jpg

The green light suggests strongly that the wheel device was rotating, it was.

The little platform mounted on top of the valve cap is centred on the hole in the middle, now I need to make location blanks for different sized wheels and then it's "hi unca Bob!"

Side view of the platform in place.

16564875409931488592856795684544.jpg

The device was rotating slowly (at record/playback speed) whilst I took the piccies.

Seems to be viable once the position mark is followed up.

Now, where's them blooming airyplanes?

• Like 8

Aha, there they are awaiting sausages almost.

16564898102581540014380769630273.jpg

A few paint corrections away from the dreaded sausages it seems.

I went mad and bought a fresh bottle of Mr Colour Dark Earth, so that will cover* the Hurri and I must have a jar of Dark Sea Grey somewhere.

*OK part cover the Hurricane, I know the rest needs green...

Everyone's a cricket, critique, critic...

I had a nidea for the wheel painting mechano-jig,

How's this?

16564897280783170033481456590547.jpg

Rotates in line and the Hart type wheel sits nicely in the bottom.

One of the bubble packs from these.

16564900474351941352141479449819.jpg

Try out later after my next non-coved jab today, B12 time.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Trouble I'm having learning basic CAD which he's having to sort out for me.

And the good news is, in sorting you out, he is also helping sort me out!

That little spinning device you are using for some of this fine work is a brilliant idea. I think you should give it a proper name ........... how about "Bill's mini homemade Lathe"?

T

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

That little spinning device you are using for some of this fine work is a brilliant idea

True. I said it before, but I'l say it again: truly ingenious! :worthy:

Ciao

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

And the good news is, in sorting you out, he is also helping sort me out!

That little spinning device you are using for some of this fine work is a brilliant idea. I think you should give it a proper name ........... how about "Bill's mini homemade Lathe"?

T

Slowturningjigthing...

• Haha 3

Sausages

High on my list of hateful tasks

You have to turn chunks of Blu-tak* into smooth round sausage shaped roll things to us for camouflage masking and I hate the task

Does anyone make masking rolls we can just pop to the shop or e-emporium and buy a batch?

If not why not?

Just thinking whilst I put off making sausages...

:(

*Other stuff is available in white

:(

• Haha 6

Other hateful tasks

Why didnt they build bi-planes strong enough to eschew having to hold them together with string.

A not favourite task begins...

16569462672442567886109152378448.jpg

First wires are the deepest lowest.

Stop the wheels falling off I presumes.

Then

16569476405546532849133011510364.jpg

And updownside up.

16569477716523641747283343349221.jpg

I suppose the blasted wings have to look kindly upon me and sit quietly on the interplane strut thingies, probably tomorrow

Maybe

• Like 6