Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

Just now, Terry1954 said:

I understand the latest thinking is that Alclads Aqua gloss coat (the milky white stuff) is the best for varnishing these metallic finishes if you want to retain that hi shine.

Absolutely. I use Molotow Chrome in the pen form, and in addition to taking a while to cure properly, it needs a gloss protective coat (Aqua Gloss is my choice too)

HTH

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both, I have that Alclad stuff so it's good.

This was only an experiment as if it looks awful I am going to take it down to plastic again if it needs it.

And I have ordered a proper Molotow pen to play with.

• Like 3

This.

This Hurricane is one of the finest Airfix models I have ever had the pleasure of putting together.

I cannot remember where I bought it but as it is a subject so far out of my present modelling stream I think I picked it out at a Middle of Lidl or a centre aisle special at Aldi for just a few quid.

Wherever it has raised my admiration for newer subject Airfixery 

P1010109.jpg

I thought you'd like a last chance to see it before Giorgio @giemme gets his paintwork done.

P1010075.jpg

I'm not sure the Hurricane deserves being labelled dainty but it is certainly refined, top'n'bottom

P1010111.jpg

Superb, this time tomorrow I expect the undersides to be Sky Type S and possibly a start made on the top surfaces.

I will not be hunting for markings outside the kit box either, the ones in there look fine to me.

The Hind however

A bundle of laughs it aint!

16533191326395490816368228371849.jpg

The metal front looks horrid

16533191668481306611655527945441.jpg

So much of that front looks like wobbly plastic chrome that I want to bring it all back to bare Airfix...

Time to think...

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

Rectifying begins...

16533245656966258705910537860120.jpg

I will  remove as much excess chrome as I can with sandysticks and find out if I can save the model.

Otherwise I might have to Hind up a Demon...

:)

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, perdu said:

This Hurricane is one of the finest Airfix models I have ever had the pleasure of putting together.

I'd agree with that most certainly. I built one a couple of years back and it is still one of my favourites.

Shame you are not happy with the chrome, as it looked pretty good from here!

However, of you do remove it, you might find IPA a good way?

Terry

• Like 2

Not sure what is not pleasing you about that cromy nose - but then again you are looking at it much closer than any of us.

The Hurrricane looks neat and proper indeed - not sure how am I involved in the painting...? :rofl:

Keep going :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Haha 2

Dang! I thought it was all headed in the right direction too. 🙁 I thought the Hind looked great when you first posted. Did it dry funny? I have only used the chrome pens for small areas so for larger I can’t call it. Looks like you have it under control in true Bill fashion however. 😅

The hurrie looks great. I can confirm that a lot of newer Airfix kits I have built are just as lovely. My Typhoon was especially splendid as are the moths.  Onwards and upwards kidda. 🧐😉

Johnny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

I have only used the chrome pens for small areas

I did try on a section of the flap on my recent Mustang build, but it was a no go. Spraying is the way for large areas. But the pen is plenty useful for many other things :) 

Ciao

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, giemme said:

I did try on a section of the flap on my recent Mustang build, but it was a no go. Spraying is the way for large areas. But the pen is plenty useful for many other things :) 

Ciao

I agree with Giorgio. They are not usually suitable for direct application to large surface area, but they do spray superbly, if thinned and applied correctly, which looked to me like you had done on the Hind? They also have to be sealed with some sort of varnish and the popular choice seems to be Alclad Aqua gloss. They are brilliant in their own right for very small details like bolt head and chrome trim on vehicles etc.

I notice AK do a similar product ........

https://ak-interactive.com/product-category/paints/superchrome-paint/

Not tried that but I imagine it's likely same sort of stuff?

Terry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well it looks like I ought not try to short cut the tested processes, Mr Levelling Thinner Terry?

The (ink?) stuff pools as one tries to spread it across the model, leaving oddly glimmering ridges round the edge of wherever it touched first, that was why I couldn't be happy with leaving its admittedly smooth' shiny surface.

Today's conundrum:

How to mask the sellotape window containing panels without taking off the entire side panel?

Hmm, we will see...

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, perdu said:

Mr Levelling Thinner Terry?

Yes. Thinned at least 50% thinner, possibly 60 -70 %. I'm still experimenting.

This was a test of the marker being applied direct (on granddaughters 1/32 Chevrolet, don't tell her). I used the fine nib one for this, 1mm I think:

IMG20220524095118

And these are all airbrushed:

IMG20220524094953

Airbrushing this stuff is a bit of an art in that you don't want it too low pressure and light touch, or it just goes on like silver metallic, but very thin (like Alclad), but if you up the pressure and get closer and do it quickly, it will go on like chrome. However, too close and too heavy and it will go on too thick. Tricky stuff but excellent if you can get it just right.  I'm going to try it thinned with IPA next. Might try that AK stuff as well, but I'm convinced it must be same sort of stuff, so will hold off on that for now.

HTH

Terry

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Curse those shiny nosed Hawker devils.

16533245656966258705910537860120.jpg

Tell me why I could not rationalise at this point?

Comes the moment of the IPA

16533945667048537842156773589892.jpg

Why oh why couldnt I rationalise here then?

16533948438415917329218164241483.jpg

But no, the side panels, windows et al, all gone in a flurry of IPA.

What?

16533948697221533893972374805259.jpg

Jings,

And crivens.

Wheels and all?  Doh...

So much sanding to repair...

16534611757435908538843041056133.jpg

Better start again

16534612234672362919959144377204.jpg

Now to discover whether the Microsoft weather ticker has any foundation in real life, can't paint without garage doors open as I sit in the vestibule...

• Sad 8

I'm sure I don't need to remind you Bill that for top results, same rule applies re gloss (black or grey) undercoat working best for Alclad and this Molotow Chrome. Highly polished bare plastic will also work too.

Terry

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Galligraphics said:

Fallen off, or dissolved?

Fell off because adhesive dissolved on the sellotape, admittedly not a very durable way of placing thin windows but I thought it worth a try.

And to be honest I still do, when  whatever happens to the paint has happened they side panels will be reglazed with sellotape.

I will give what we have a little bit of a shine Terry but I am thinking, as I did before to be honest, that for a 1/72 scale model that much supershine is out of scale effect. I intend testing the IPA version on the bottom of my Lightning wings first and I hope the look I want can come out of all this.

• Like 3

Had to be done, I couldn't POSSIBLY (Best Kenny Everett here please narrator) have left it as was.

Any road up

16535726441716964496529088534312.jpg

Molotow a splash and Mr Levelling a smidgeon shaken not stirred applied at about 27psi.

16535726833686988161629235736239.jpg

I think I am sticking at this.

16535786689792234965479059222950.jpg

One for the massif.

Brush or attempt to spray this for the first time ever?

• Like 10