Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

Cheers Steve, even more remarkable was the test rig piloting.

The flying bedstead was a wonder of the world. I wonder if it relied on the stability imparted by two rotating hamsters in a wheel?

I must admit the Kestrel has been on my to-do list for years, it took our old warrior @CedB to break down my resistance.

This self-appointed Hawker exploration gives me lots of scope to play catch-up with my stash and intentions.

😲

He said after adding to the stash in order to build a long ago decided Hunter...

Oh well 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

ACKNOWLEDGMENTS:

I have to acknowledge @AdrianMF's expertise here

Although I doubt if my own OCD would have allowed me to miss the massive shoulder pads on the basic P1127 kit, his timely intervention caused this.

16473561353003425646584701732843.jpg

And in the interest of cleaning up my patchy seam filling with "Spruegloop" has just been augmented with a filling of cyano ready to sand flatter.

(Thinks... Must keep to tried and tested methods on these builds...)

16473563023893731481373926853628.jpg

I should explain.

I have been allowing an old bottle of Tammy Green to be topped up with randon bits of off-cuts and sanding debris for a few month, decided this was the build to use the now thickening slurry as a filler.

Blimey it takes ages to dry then harden doesn't it?

Hmm, maybe I'd better get another build going.

Or concentrate on the dedicated scratch aspects of this one.

I intend printing these oddball decals in colour, over white.

k05.jpg

There seems to be lots of work for Inkscape's almost legendary image bending abilities.

And isn't that HS Silver going to be a stretch getting the hue near perfect for the orangey carrier film to cover?

So whilst waiting for glues/various to harden its image manipulation times again.

• Like 7

On 13/03/2022 at 11:48, perdu said:

I must admit the Kestrel has been on my to-do list for years,

Same here, I have a couple of these kits looking accusingly at me everytime I go into the Martian Cave. Perhaps @CedB's influence will extend to the Red Planet. Stranger things, mosty on BM admittedly, have happened.

Martian 👽

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, perdu said:

And isn't that HS Silver going to be a stretch getting the hue near perfect for the orangey carrier film to cover?

Would it be worth trying the transfers on clear film if it's going over HSS?  

Perhaps need a second transfer over the first one to get the saturation?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Martian said:

Perhaps @CedB's influence will extend to the Red Planet.

I beginning to suspect that he's somewhere out there in the Ort Cloud. BM might be difficult to pick up at that distance.

Love those roundels. Way back, a very young me loved them too on the real thing whenever I saw them.

Possibly in Airfix magazine?

• Like 2

Nice work on getting the wings to fit. Looking good. Although I guess the Kestrel wing is a mod of the original P1127 wing so it would be quite close anyway. I hope (and I'm sure) that you will do a better job on me on the wing seams.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice work on getting the wings to fit. Looking good. Although I guess the Kestrel wing is a mod of the original P1127 wing so it would be quite close anyway. I hope (and I'm sure) that you will do a better job on me on the wing seams.

Regards,

Adrian

I hope I can do any kind of job.

So far Tamiya green then spruegoo then cyano into the joins.

The wings I'm using were from Airfix Harrier GR3 Adrian...

Frantic filing ensues...

• Like 2

12 hours ago, hendie said:

Perhaps need a second transfer over the first one to get the saturation?

I have a box full of irredeemably yellowed Airfix transfers that would give exactly that effect on the “Danger” signs… 

• Like 1

Ditto but few if any actually would act as the proper danger intake signage, Airfix didn't get the markings right for any of the P1127/Kestrel family did they.

:)

Today I have had  the pleasure of almost irredeemably ruining the fuselage, I'll show you.

First off my waking innovation (I hope it isnt only me that wakes up with improbable but ideal "I know lets try that!"  answers washing through the sleep laden brain) was a way to reproduce the braced heat shields aft of the hot nozzles.

P1010236.jpg

This photo off my computer screen vaguely shows the braces I meant, sorry Ian I was in too much of a rush to get the tripod into action.

Got to grab an inspiration while I have it these days. 😱

So I cut a piece of off-cut ten thou plackycard into shape then stuck ten thou by twenty thou Evergreens in place in the required pattern.

There, I think that'll do it.

P1010238.jpg

Put a pair of bracing struts top and bottom at the back and we'll be away.

And here is where I think I might have tried too hard, the characteristic fuselage hump that houses the mighty Pegasus is non existent on the Airfix fuselage and frankly, it's been doing my yed in.

So I have stuck a couple of lengths of ten thou over the missing hump.

P1010240.jpg

Maybe a big mistake because I then embellished the garnish with over liberal lashings of stuporgoo.

Which ran everywhere...

P1010241.jpg

But being transparent doesn't show up in the picture, maybe it'll be OK on  the night.

I decided that after doing the jets and a bipe there is another victim I need to take off the almost mythical shelf.

P1010242.jpg

I have applied Pavla bits to the Hasegawa/Frog F6 inside the office.

P1010243.jpg

And

P1010244.jpg

Plan A is a trip to Binbrook to the LTF back in the days when Steve and Debs were in the fast jet game.

But this and a possible T4 will be after this Hawker's session.

Oh well, must fly.  More medical boredom today.

How do they find so much spare blood huh?

• Like 6

I’ve been wondering about the yellowed warning transfer on the Cosford airframe. I wondered, for example, if it had actually yellowed due to age, rather than actually having an orange border.

A quick squizz in a search engine turned up this:

6872054204_28dd55f454_c.jpg

Hawker Siddeley Kestrel FGA1 XS695 1966 by Trigger's Retro Road Tests!, on Flickr

I think it yellowed due to age. 

There’s one of those short documentary films, possibly the "Look At Life" series, that showed the tripartite trials of the Kestrel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

35 minutes ago, perdu said:

I decided that after doing the jets and a bipe there is another victim I need to take off the almost mythical shelf.

P1010242.jpg

Look who's back! :thumbsup:  I sure need to build another Frightening sooner or later! :) 

Ciao

• Like 1

Hi good bit of researching there Heather, that's my Kestrel there.

Look how the paint job looks like several greys and silver.

And the nicely bulged intake throats.

And the red danger markings were real red, unlike the improbably ruddy brown of the same decals in the museum.

And there is a gentle hump where Pegasus is stabled.

I was not expecting easy for this build, didn't get that wrong did I?

😅

• Like 4

Just allowed myself ten minutes to watch that movie, didn't realise Alexander Armstrong was in the tripartite unit. 😄😄

Loved that little film, have to mark that as a favourite.

Thanks Heather.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, perdu said:

Plan A is a trip to Binbrook to the LTF back in the days when Steve and Debs were in the fast jet game.

Don't give Debs the opportunity to lord it (lady it?) over me about her Lightning experience again Bill!

• Haha 3

Okeydoke, not Binbrook but I don't want another dark green one although these days the markings I had to hand draw are all over the shop these days.

Rethink, just for you buddy.

Now go and finish dem dere Orks.

Please 🙏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Fritag said:

On t’other hand I’m safe from Debs on BM these days so mebee Binbrook’s ok 😁

You really think she is not performing recce as we speak?

I am not so sanguine regarding such.

Hi Deb's 🖐️

• Haha 2

• perdu changed the title to First, Hawker's Kestrel FGA1 at Cosford plus...

Talking of a recce

I have had my first butcher's* at the Hart kit naked as

nice and oh so uncomplicated

P1010246.jpg

Oh those old instruction sheets

P1010247.jpg

"Black :Tyres, machine gun and mounting, exhausts and propellor."

Yes OK

P1010248.jpg

Dont reckon much to the decal sheet, but raw material a'plenty

P1010249.jpg

Hell of an ejection blob here

P1010250.jpg

Very fine exterior details, especially for 1950 'blob'

P1010251.jpg

First instruction on the sheet, glue shaft to propellor

No, I haven't yet!

P1010252.jpg

At least it didn't tell me to paint the bombs black, 'though |I 'spect I did back in nineteenfiftyblob

P1010253.jpg

Amusing times ahead although with absolutely zero locating pips inside, maybe not.

OK that is all back in its bag, with one last question thrumming through my yed.

How did whoever owned it manage to restaple the bag and header using only a Bambi stapler?

P1010245.jpg

So tiny...

*G butcher's refers to rhyming slang  Butcher's Hook = Look

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, perdu said:

*G butcher's refers to rhyming slang  Butcher's Hook = Look

Thanks Bill, appreciated that :)  This one kit seems lots of fun too... :frantic:  :D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Splendid work on the Kestrel Bill. So I’m counting four builds going on. Is it four? I’m not sure I can cope it’s like our dear @corsaircorp’s influence has snuck through into here and I forget what build I’m in. 🤩🥳🤪

nice to see the hart for a brief moment. If you need any wheels or such giz a poke. 😉

Johnny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Hello Dear Colleague !!

Well, You're far more faster than I can be....

I apologize to knock on the door page 4 but....

Is there any room at the bar for another special beers enthusiast ??

Great Perdufucation on here !!

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Splendid work on the Kestrel Bill. So I’m counting four builds going on. Is it four? I’m not sure I can cope it’s like our dear @corsaircorp’s influence has snuck through into here and I forget what build I’m in. 🤩🥳🤪

nice to see the hart for a brief moment. If you need any wheels or such giz a poke. 😉

Johnny.

Johnny, I must say a couple of somewhat better wheels could become an added attraction.

I will send a pm today to begin the necessary discussion.

👌

• Like 2