Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

Crisp my mate thanks, all and any pictures would be welcome although I am only making the one.

That's the Cosford one and with all the fuselage alterations I've made already, this is now fixed in stone.

Mind you P1127s are all over eBay, could become habit forming even.

🤔 😟 😲 😵🤭😄🤣🤣🤣

Loving this thread Bill and Crisp has just reminded me I have some also. If you click on the pic below you will see them in a Kestrel album! Some pictures are a bit dark, and all were taken on my phone so not top quality but might help.

FAA Museum Kestrel

Terry

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great pictures Terry but I hope that aircraft has received better care recently, just because it became a very important historical exhibit surely does not justify leaving hydraulic pipes unsupported at the restraining clips.

Tssk.

We tend to think of short-shot mouldings as a modern Airfix problem don't we?

Tain't so, I don't know when Airfix stopped trying  to market silver plastic and went for grey but this kit has a legacy problem of its own.

Nice plastic, just not quite enough of it...

P1010220.jpg

Not fatal fortunately, just a nannoyingniggle soon sorted I 'spect.

I have made intake walls for each half of the fuselage, not sure if metallised plastic or plasticised metal but its stiff and easily shapable and glues in nicely with gator's grip.

P1010214.jpg

P1010216.jpg

Next stagewill entail making the primitive intake blanks become like the actual ones which curve back from behind the seat to guide air through the intake and allow proper cockpit walls and controls to hand on the side walls.

P1010217.jpg

If I was so inclined the rear of this box structure could be used for the nose wheel bay, not going to happen.

Use your imagination if that floats a boat for you  ;)

So as  this afternoon fades gently into...

Latest state of play

P1010222.jpg

I am thinking a layer of Mr Dissolved Putty will take the diamonds out of play, I do not fancy making new walls of 0.010" plasticard when this has gone in nicely.

We will find out tomorrow when I attempt to trim the plastimetal intake lips.

• Like 11

This is moving fast already! :clap:

Enquiring mind wants to know why you elected to reproduce the inner intakes with that kind of material, in lieu of thin plasticard.

The latter would appear to me having the same qualities you listed for the former, without the hassle of having to be smoothed down. Or am I too optimistic about styrene sheets?

Ciao 

• Like 3

Bill, you will find that the canopy seems too wide for the fuselage. What is happening is that the fuselage is the part that is too narrow and will need building up to the bottom line of the canopy, rather than the canopy needing replacing. Thanks for the heads up on the exhaust fairings; I hadn't picked up on that one.

Martian 👽

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This material bends easily then holds its shape to enable easily glueing in.

I'm trying this now but might just attempt using them as templates.

This is a build in flux at the moment, anything goes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, perdu said:

This material be

-comes very smooth when a layer of U.V. setting resin is wiped over the surface, tell Giorgio I'm not going to mess around with recalcitrant plastic card.

Moving on.

Thank you for the hint Martian, the nose being widened is today's morning fix in.

Now I need a picture of the rear wall of the cockpit, I bet it's nowt like Buccaneer or Jaguar of which's back ends I have a fair supply of pictography.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There certainly were a lot of P1127/Kestrel variations. I had a go at one of these last year.

Just as a heads up, for me, the biggest problems were the wing roots, which are moulded as horizontal on the fuselage, and the narrow cockpit. I opened up the wing tab slot so I could put the wings on lower and sand down the roots to match the anhedral, and I simply but brutally bent the fuselage so the canopy opening got wider.

It’s all here if you want to have a look.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve got most of the bits of a disassembled P1127 which I made when I was just a baby… the intention is that one day I’ll be inspired enough to rebuild it properly second time around. Now if only I could follow someone else’s build to give me some pointers…… :whistle:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Galligraphics said:

Now if only I could follow someone else’s build to give me some pointers…… :whistle:

Yes that could help, there's a lot around, may I offer Adrian's P1127 build as an example..

Adrian you bad, very very bad man.

Did I not state a few hours ago that wheel wells are not an option?

Go on, didn't I?

Grrrr...

Thinks... ifIcutthathere...

• Haha 5

On 2/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, hendie said:

First in. Set 'em up bartender please

Okay, so I'm not quite first in, nor second for that matter.  But page 3 ain't bad is it?

Anyways; I've squeezed in at the back, enjoyed catching up to date and I promise to be quiet....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Oh no my fine fellow, were only here for the interaction tha' knows.

OK that tiny space where the driver sits/sat, let's give it some gubbinses.

Amazingly they found room for a couple of coffee tables one on each side of the driver's elbows.

Better make up a nicely sloped accommodation for things and gribbles then, two blocks of eighty thou cyanoed together then the carvery can begin.

1646922782914115982559398905490.jpg

Flat bit at the back being induced.

Now impart the slopey fronts.

16469228554115681628891503437134.jpg

Just had some Russian interference, forum posted for itself again.

Anyway we're back.

we get this then

16469236625271481768657004135468.jpg

The coffee table which gets the ornamental red topped handle and the other little lever added to a plinth.

Plinth comes tomorrow

Now we have a back wall, this saves the pilot chap's lunch from being sucked back into the Pegasus, always a bad idea.

16469244220285770618737092216274.jpg

16469252857652968090084786334058.jpg

I will be building a single ejection seat, not many in this build so there's to be no resin casting of the completed job.

:)

A splash of Giorgio and that's me for the evening.

What does this shot tell me?

16469318521251262480283376536990.jpg

Two important things, Xtracrylics paint is naff if you are going to impart it to the world via a paint brush.

Mike Grant cockpit decals need a better base than I offered them today.

But they are not wworth pursuing for a jet engined machine, none of them portray instruments of the jet age, not even the Direction Indicator Display or Artificial Horizon.

I will approach tomorrow with a mind half made up to ignore them completely an use a Harrier panel from Modeldecals...

• Like 13

This looks way more exciting than than my recent shake and bake kit.  There's something immensely rewarding about taking these old and very basic kits and breathing life into them.

(Remind me I said that when I start a Blue Max Avro 504 in a couple of weeks)

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, hendie said:

Remind me I said that when I start a Blue Max Avro 504 in a couple of weeks

Didn’t I see you asking a spitfire question somewhere on the forum just t’other day?…

24 minutes ago, giemme said:

That is some serious scratch building! :worthy:  :worthy:

Well this is a Bill build; you didn’t meander over here expecting OOB did you G? :rofl2:

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, Fritag said:

Well this is a Bill build; you didn’t meander over here expecting OOB did you G? :rofl2:

I guess not.... :D  :D  :D  

Ciao

• Haha 2

On 3/11/2022 at 1:02 AM, hendie said:

There's something immensely rewarding about taking these old and very basic kits and breathing life into them.

I  couldn't agree more. The modern kits are at the bottom of my stash....

Ian

• Like 5

I have been doing a bit, amongst other things and now it is time to get a bit sticky.

Definitely expect this bit to be at best, a little problematical so out come the Bernas.

P1010230.jpg

I know I will throw a little light upon the situation

P1010231.jpg

Too much? No I don't think so acos it throws up some massive shadows

And gaps to fill next

P1010232.jpg

And

P1010233.jpg

All in hand I suppose and it leaves me to pop down to the paintshop this morning

In  the next shot you will see the modified Harrier GR3 wing being tested for fit

P1010229.jpg

And the Tripartate Squadron markings being tidied up on plain paper ready for final printing with tidied colour swatches

P1010234.jpg

I managed to find a photo of a decal sheet in a item in Britmodeller about Tripartate Squadron markings and was able to clean it up a little to get a decent print off it on white decal paper.

Thanks to the IPMS decal bank for the image.

I use Paint  Shop Pro for basic image handling but can never get it to the right size to print it off.

A bit of a worry until I hit upon importing the picture into a MS Word document and resizing it to suit.

Taught me another lesson though.

Don't we always say work to the actual airframe

I reworked the image to tidy up lots of dead colour bits but I did trust the image I first thought of

Kestrel.jpg

Which was workable but until I looked at the pictures of XS695 had the wrong lighter blue on its fin flash.

My sheet shows both styles.

k17.jpg

Shouldn't, should it?

• Like 8

Neat work Bill, I'm liking the artwork for the markings. I was on Bulwark 65/66, chugging up and down the channel, when the P1127(?) was doing deck landing trials. I have a B&W image stashed somewhere.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Am enjoying watching some perdufucation being practised on summat with conventional wings, although conventional is p’raps the last word to be attached to a Kestrel :D

In todays world of computerifucation and fly-by -wire, it’s rather remarkable to think that (bar the odd auto stab) t’was the mark 1 human nervous system that controlled this thing throughout it’s remarkable flight envelope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4