Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

Dammit, somehow I've bought a Gnat.

46 minutes ago, perdu said:

*I might just buy a Strikemaster...

This hobby is so infectious...........

IMG20221206085853

and I have more gliders to build, and a Vosper to finish, and fast jets to make, and more..............

Still, tis much fun.

Carry on Bill!

T.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

"Dear diary, rose at seven thirty and thinking I might make alterations to the 'new' Harrier, the GR5, I repaired, after the normal events to the north-facing modelling room and whilst the computer booted itself into life I glanced out of the window. On such a clear, cloudless morning I saw the goddess Selene had not yet taken her rest behind the trees to the north. Beautiful."

P1010006-2.jpg

As I recovered from a pleasant surprise I remembered that the Harrier, a Kestrel and two Hunters were downstairs awaiting painting in the kind of chilled garage.  Minus2º chilled in fact.

So, remembering that I could at least get on with my mini-diorama I stuck the reins on the harness of a cuirassier's hoss

P1010016.jpg

Left them while the cockpit glue set and went off to examine closely the real modelling going on out in Fridayland, the United States of VW-Ville and so many other assorted, really sumptuous model making events whilst awaiting 1/24th scale rotorheading etcetera.

See y'all laters, there's a lot to catch up on.

• Like 9

With many of these awaiting painting and with there being no way I am going into a minus seven degrees (-7º) unheated garage to sit by an opened door (ventilation purposes only, I like privacy when I'm concentrating) coaxing an Ultra into reasonable spray patterns (I am a terrible airbrusher) this week, something about Giorgio's Phantom build gave me a tiny nudge.

I do have Phantoms in boxes awaiting inspiratory nudges so...

I looked.

Airfix's venerable, quite pleasing last time I built one, F4 in USN, USAF or Israeli markings has been lying in state in my stash #1 box, in a bag unloved but ready for decades.

I thought.

P1010025.jpg

The fuselage halves have become bowed, but I can unbow them but the port wing upper section is adrift.

I will probably find it somewhere in another box but I admit it, colour me daunted.

Right what else is there?

I know, this one.

Long long time ago I can still remember, Frog/Rovex entered into a combined marketing deal with Hasegawa and amongst the fruits of that were the F6 Lightning, Harrier, several other American aircraft and this, the alleged F4K/M Phantom.

P1010029.jpg

P1010028.jpg

This has never inspired me the way the Airfix one did, to build it before and I have heard rumours that it doesn't quite make it as a Britmachine not having the big intakes and bulgy backs... end of the Spey engine package.

But maybe, if I didn't have this.

P1010030.jpg

Airfix back in the pack.

So many pieces.

P1010031.jpg

Blimey and so many transfers.

I won this from Nigel at Parabellum for winning the first Birmingham IPMS Beermat Trophy with this.

P1120785.jpg

This was built to the old rules, Fit on a beermat sized piece of real estate without any overlaps.

The old rules established that no height was stipulated and the squares were 88mm long.

New rules now ask for a footprint of no more than 110mm2 and height limit of four times the length.

Piece of cake.

Any road up, I digress, the Phantom will be a next year's project.

This year we will be playing THE Charity Lucky Dip game at the club on Sunday.

Fiver in the pot, take a dive into a black bin bag full of Christmas present wrapped kits which have to be finished, on the comp table, in March.

One gift = one fiver.

All to the charity the club choses after the fines are instigated and paid for.

Fines?

Yes if you don't finish it and get it on the table in March a fine ensues.

Our rules (we give the kits to put in the bag from our own multi-stashes) are, there must be a complete kit in the bag and it must be actually buildable.

If the box has etch or after market inside, tough for the donor we have to use what we are given but there cannot be anything except the contents of the gift wrapping to finish the model.

Additional aftermarket is a no-no but inspired use of the packaging  is acceptable (Ship in a crumpled paper sea anybody?)

We can use our own paint and glue etcetera but no additional stuff to win the prize.

Tip to new players, big tempting boxes might have big kits inside and March is coming three months away, I would be an instant 'lose lose' considering how long builds take me...

Hence I wont be doing this Phantom until the Hawkers are put to bed and there are still Airfix Trainers to get on the board so summer then, one only McDonnell Douglas F4 -something.

See you laters.

• Like 14

I still have to work out which version gets the underwing stiffeners, RAF or RN?

But it's certain to be the FAA version first because transfers dictate it.

Giorgio mine will not be anything like as perfect as yours mate.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, giemme said:

A @perdu's Phantom? :tasty:   :D 

Ciao

Second that slurp!

I've been eyeing up my F-4 stash too, but indecision and a pending trip to Norway are hindering things at present.

Still, I can watch things from afar!

T.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, perdu said:

I will probably find it somewhere in another box but I admit it, colour me daunted.

Bill - I have a dead Airfix Phantom in my scrapbox taking up space. If, when you eventually get around to the build stage, you need any bits from it, apart from the canopy and undercart which is long gone, just let me know.

Nige

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Procopius said:

who voluntarily goes to Norway in the winter?

I’d go back there like a shot.  As long as I’ve got time enough to save up enough money to buy a pint of beer and a glass of wine :D

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Fritag said:

I’d go back there like a shot.  As long as I’ve got time enough to save up enough money to buy a pint of beer and a glass of wine :D

Me too my dad caught the pneumonia there that ensured he was repatriated separately from his mates who came home with their aircraft on Glorious, he liked the place.

• 2 weeks later...

Bearing in mind that it is still cold as billioh outside and conversely in the garage  Mama Christmas has been kind to Harrier GR5s this year.

16722430966734895311709363186345.jpg

Not forgetting that the other colours in this set warm the cockles of my heart, observe the pair in the middle.

Nato Dark Green  and Lichen Green, yippee!

Now to see whether Hataka Blue line paints thin nicely for the Airbrush or not...

And possibly discover the difference between Blue Line and Red Line paints.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

I really wasn't going to do this, just a quick easy moderate little job.

Stick new wings on P1127, paint silver move on quickly.

But since it isn't a small job after all, I have had to shift the main leg mounting point as it is, so I might as well carve out the main gear well...

16752691227647722363634126617170.jpg

Just make a small box, drop it in and lets see tomorrow huh?

16752692059072140861951226338004.jpg

I must be mad...

• Like 9

Madness continues, but hark.

Whilst hacking away brutally at the b.h.p* of the front wheel well roof and looking out at the pattern in the skies above me, (I live on the approach to BHX and can usually see the southbound trails of Europe bound traffic.) I heard a distant echo.

A fast urgent roar above the usual noises in the distance.

Out of the window instead of hacking plastic I saw these in the distance etched across the north south trails, a pair of close together trails heading WNW towards the awesome almost legendary Mach Loop at around nine fifteen.

PC's cousins out to play no doubt.

I will now abandon the station at the window, nip downstairs to check the traffic patterns over Welsh Wales, betting this is a sign that Lakenheath is open today.

P1010067.jpg

And whilst I type a glance at the sky shows me another westish bound pair.

No four!

Are we being invaded?

Ciao.

* B***dy Hard Plastic

• Like 7

Stop it...

I keep thinking Scout again, stop me at once peeps, I have far too many undone ones resting on the bench.

But still what harm could it do?

Answers on the back of an twenty pound note.

• Haha 5

Time's winged chariot might have been derailed a tad but here is a small tadlet of said time oozing out onto the Kestrel this week.

I really wasn't going to, but.

16758721133305006590450175292720.jpg

Rudimentary wheel well cavities excavated and filled in and the wingtip fairings for the outriggers having  a rare piece of attention focussed upon them.

The ones on the Kestrel are different in lots of respects and my OCD-ity needs me to at least make a try...

I had totally ignored the actual shapes of them when I cannibalised the Airfix GR3.

k12.jpg

Fortunately Julien has made sure I don't have to dash out to Cosford for a look see, this useful shot is from the BM walkarounds. Enough, more than enough to allow me a fettle around using the P1127 and Harrier pieces which are startlingly different to the ones I need.

Aha looking at that there is an unwanted trench along the lower fin edge, soon sort that too.

1675872342719408495701416900387.jpg

And with the cyano and bi-carb out on the bench this needs a session on top too.

16758720470734396587660674329118.jpg

But shouting at me from a nearby cupboard is...

16758735663931495115307329549428.jpg

Whaddaya say, build it before or after adding a Sea Venom to the trainers build just because twin boom de Havilland?

Instead of?

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, perdu said:

Whaddaya say, build it before or after adding a Sea Venom to the trainers build just because twin boom de Havilland?

Instead of?

Decisions, decisions.... :frantic: 

:D :D 

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 4