Hawker's Kestrel, Harrier, Hind, Hurricane Mk1, Hunters FGA9 and T7...

perdu

Ook.

Since I mentioned it I should really take a butcher's inside

P1010157.jpg

I like a lift up lid more than a lift the end and slide in

What's inside the box now?

P1010159.jpg

Aha, a butchered Airfix GR3, hmm what else?

P1010160.jpg

Where the GR3 intakes ended up

P1010162.jpg

A pleasant moulding though

P1010161.jpg

I see I still need to add throttle and nozzle levers to the port side console

What else?

Ah

P1010163.jpg

Furniture for one, I might be able to use this or maybe find out whether a Hawk seat will go in, are they similar?

And these, I think the two on the left are for the two seat Hunter, anyone got a clue?

P1010165.jpg

Would the one extreme right be GR5/7/9?

OK time to go, ciao.

• Like 6

Per the interwubs, the Hunter FGA9 used a Mk3H seat, and the GR5 Harrier used a Mk12 seat, both by Martin-Baker, so they're like, nine different. 

think that, inasmuch as any of them look like anything, the seat second from right might look most like a Mk12?

eject12-2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

Bill's elusive mojo returned for a few days and this began.

Glad to see the mojo has made a brief come back. Mine seems to be still somewhere out there in the ether .......... 🙄

Those Master Box figures look rather neat. That could be quite a scene.

As for the seats, that last picture of the real thing reminds me of the Stencil series of seats. So are we going to see a Bill GR5/7/9 at some point?

Must build me a Harrier someday. I have supplies ..........

T.

• Like 2

Because the missing sprue is still a factor I intend making undercarriage doors etc. for this airframe, copying the Matchbox ones probably.

If its an Ardtafix Unta then I have one spare for the price of an pint

👍

Anything to spread the mojo as far as it will go fella

Box on

Strickers

• Thanks 1

Fiddling these figures I have had a play this afternoon

16697364305838304040641623111039.jpg

Some of the painting done, more to do.

The image from the box.

1669736682163495222980850718859.jpg

There aren't any instructions inside, you have to work out how to make the bits go to the right places, all you get is this on the box.

Parts call out, where they go and what paints can do the job all on the box.

16697365957112995864686169882382.jpg

Any road up, I've got a second half to watch!

• Like 8

Terry was asking

16699134511111756841190282442363.jpg

This isn't going to be a big deal build within the Hawker set but I am doing a little bit on the GR5.

Just using the kit's I.P 

16699153065865009409454983916782.jpg

And a gismo'd cockpit tub.

Throttle and nozzle control.

16699153952004895121754910310917.jpg

The lower auxiliary intake flaps are normally shut unless some air movement pushes them against their springs, the Airfix intakes need modifying to close them and I might put a little emphasis on the upper, open ones with my little whiffling chisels.

That's tomorrow's game, tonight is Germany v Costa Rica.

Adios

• Like 8

Incidentally, I know it isn't a Hawker but this is floating along as mojo tickler just at the mo' and I am not doing enough to justify a 'Build' for it so here we have the amazing levitating Airfix Gnat.

P1010003.jpg

I, stubbornly as ever, thought to build it without its wheels or legs because having them hanging around might compromise the actual build and paint.

"Whadda Mistaka To Makea" Apologies to Giorgio, Giorgio N if he's passing and Massimo who pops by occasionally for paraphrasing Capitano Bertorelli's wonderful Anglo-Saxon...

The legs really should be inserted in the sequence that somebody at Airfix planned for them, after the wells are inserted and the fuselage closed up is no time for a man with Poly-ma to be trying.

Took a very long time under severe stress to get flimsy pieces in place and sit solidly while getting Tamiya Green to evaporate in time.

Afterwards all settles down and the model balances on the u/c legses feetses.

You'll see.

See?

P1010004.jpg

There's no weight in the nose, hardly any nose at all to be fair, but the un-nosewheeled and canopied sit of the model promises a no drama life on the shelf.

We will probably see some time later.

As you see, not everything in the Gnatbiter is rosy, the tiny intake pieces are a 'fit too far' and I am awaiting enough mojo to rub the PPP down with a dampened sandy stick.

Ciao.

• Like 11

This kit is one of the cheap paints, brush and glue on a card starter efforts which only has the Red Arrow option but I am seriously considering shiny silver paint with day-glo patches.

Luckily the Gnat looks wonderful in any old paint job.

• Like 4

I expect to begin an Airfix trainer story soon.

I have their Vampire and JP3/4 hanging about making the stash boxes look untidy, I should really have a go at a multitrain gig.

Would a Gazelle be likely to count as a trainer, if I plaster it in said Day-glo 

• Like 5

Well we are not THERE yet

The GR5 has claimed a little attention this week 'tain't all new pastures after all

The starboard wing has simply slotted into the fuselage nicely with a click and a little sanding time down the pike

16702602604817318172331853306195.jpg

But as you can detect in the picture the port one is a little bit 'odd' at the roots, work to do there then.

16702605744718107925841314010736.jpg

Ah that's better, now putting the joins to bed 'til the morrow

16702607558151077995043335850482.jpg

The ridges left over are tiny and very manageable.

• Like 7

Ooh, a JP built as a Strikemaster would be wonderful! My best mates' dad was chief engineer for the Omani AF and he has some wonderful pics of Strikies and Hunters from that time.

Drooling in anticipation.....

Ian

• Like 1

Oooh a JP I thought about building mine, then saw Steve’s and put it back in the shelf. You however will make it sing! Day glo too. Nice! 
Harrier is coming along nicely. Lots of action going on here, almost feels like a CC thread. 🤩 (almost)

Johnny.

• Haha 5

Those are all (the JP, Gnat and Vampire) neat little kits from Airfix Bill. Very much looking forward to your builds of these.

Strangely, I actually got one of my wee Gnat's out last week (the aircraft kit), and thought of maybe building one, then I got distracted by a bigger fast jet (still in 1/72), then I thought it was about time I did something in 1/48. By the time I'd done with all those prevarications, I went back to putting some final touches on the two Gliders.

Such is my modelling mojo at the moment!

Terry

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Dammit, somehow I've bought a Gnat.

What a good idea, might do the same.*

Oh.

Take it from me the instruction sheet build order is OK

And some of the cockpit items are a very, very snug fit...

Just saying.

*I might just buy a Strikemaster...

• Haha 2