Hawker Typhoon in 1/48th?

Gordon J

Hi all,

Is the only option for a 1/48th Hawker Typhoon kit still the Hasegawa offering from 1999?

I recently searched some model sites to see if there was currently a kit available from any manufacturer and it seems not.

I know that the Hasegawa kit reappeared under the Eduard label a few years ago but has any other manufacturer ever tooled a 1/48th scale Typhoon since? I thought maybe Airfix had but I think I might be getting confused by their 1/72nd and 1/24th offerings.

Just wondering,

Gordon

The Hasegawa kits are nice, but old Monogram can be a good basis for some scratchbuilding, scribing and detailing. There's a fair amount of aftermarket available (for the Hasegawa, but also fits Monogram) if resin is your thing.

1960's Monogram (the only aftermarket are the decals, all else scratched)

Image14

Image12

Image13

• Like 9

I've got the Monogram kit laid down along with resin Tempest-style tailplanes. I bought them both so long ago that I can't remember whether the tailplanes were specifically intended for the Monogram Typhoon or indeed who made them. The kit looks very nice, though. I've just built an old Monogram P-39 and the fit was superb, putting some modern kits to shame.  I think the Typhoon is of similar vintage, so I'ld expect it to go together just as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys.

After my search for a Typhoon came up with nothing I was appalled to learn that the Typhoon in 1/48th has been so poorly served over the years. One would have thought that it would be a more readily available subject in the same way the Hurricane or perhaps the Stuka is.

Is it too much to hope that Airfix or Eduard or ICM or even Italeri could add an all new Typhoon to their catalogues? Currently the modeller's only option is stumbling upon a Monogram or Hasegawa one in the second hand stores or Ebay.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gordon J said:

Thanks for the replies guys.

After my search for a Typhoon came up with nothing I was appalled to learn that the Typhoon in 1/48th has been so poorly served over the years. One would have thought that it would be a more readily available subject in the same way the Hurricane or perhaps the Stuka is.

Is it too much to hope that Airfix or Eduard or ICM or even Italeri could add an all new Typhoon to their catalogues? Currently the modeller's only option is stumbling upon a Monogram or Hasegawa one in the second hand stores or Ebay.

I agree there's not much love for the Typhoon. The Tempest was the same untill the recent Eduard kit.

Hopefully someone will step up, Airfix have all the data after doing their 1/24th and 1/72nd scale kits.

• Like 1