PK4102 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray times two. FINISHED.

The GB deadline is looming on the horizon now. Best I get a move on here to try to avoid the last minute panic I have with every GB I've been in. 

Detailing has commenced. How much is going to be seen is debatable, but I know it's there etc etc.

Hood pins have been added up front. Cables will be fitted as the last job on the build.

IMG-3332.jpg

The interior had a few additions. The dash has been painted and the dials filled with varnish. The varnish was very old and has a distinct yellow tint to it. I thought it looked a bit Custom so used it anyway. It's invisible once the  body is on though, along with the flocked carpeting and the roll bar and struts I've added. The rear struts do show through the rear windows, so it's not been entirely pointless.

IMG-3334.jpg

You can also just about make out the Hurst shifter I scratched. A dogleg cut out of flat sheet plastic with a white glue shift knob, painted white, on top. Just to be bloody minded, I'm going to attempt to add the shift pattern on top of the knob. If I make a hash of it, nobody will be able to see it so it's a no risk venture.

The steering wheel has had its spokes opened out and everything thinned as far as I dare. 

Trial fitting of the interior tub has knocked off the 1mm square rod I've used for the 1/4 light frames in place of the 4x4 kit versions. I'll refit them once the interior is fixed in place.

The hood has been fixed shut. I prefer a good fit to opening hoods on my car builds. If the engine bay gets detailed the hood has to be either a lift off fibreglass type or proper hood hinges fitted and the car displayed with the hood open. That won't be happening here as this one is a curbside shelf queen, all front and no knickers.

With that in mind, I've been trying out various settups for the engine bits sticking out the hood. Only what can be seen will be added. First job was to sort out some carbs. A bit of resin moulding took place, with any likely looking kit carbs pressed into service.

IMG-3342.jpg

While I was doing the carb moulds I also did some '40 Ford steels and backing plates and some  rocker covers and sump. Mixing tiny amounts of casting rubber and resin is a bit hit and miss on the proportion front. Doing a slightly larger amount gets around that so a few extra bits were made/

Trying out the carbs on the tunnel ram manifold I'm using eventually got me to here...

IMG-3338.jpg

Or maybe here...

IMG-3340.jpg

Whichever I choose, I still have to add a linkage and fuel lines.

I still need to sort out the bumpers, add door handles and locks and glaze the thing. Then a bit of Molotow for some framing and detailing, add the hood pin cables, and it's done. 

I'll be back...

• Like 4

I like the second set up better - looks sleeker...!! :)

Can I ask how you do the moulds for wheels Tony? I can never seem to get them to stay round, always end up more of an oval shape... 

Still love that colour! 

Keith

That sounds like a fault with your resin Keith. Once the stuffs gone off, it's rock hard if the mix is right. I get problems with moulded parts breaking because they are so brittle.

I use silicon rubber for the actual moulds and two part liquid resin for the parts. The rubber is fairly rigid, although it can be bent to help release the moulded pieces. 

Are you making your moulds with enough side support? For a wheel I'll make a dam about an inch bigger all round so the shape of the wheel has something to hold it in place while you pour the resin.

• Thanks 1

Lots of chipping away at the pair of Corvettes today, with a fair bit done on both.

The Candy Corvette got glazed. First up was masking off the frames and painting on Molotow chrome ink. I knew I was almost certain to dull the finish with the glazing fitting, but didn't want to add the ink after the clear parts. I'll touch it all up later.

IMG-3354.jpg

IMG-3357.jpg

Paper templates were made of the screen openings and then transferred to a bit of oversized clear plastic OHP film. This got fixed to the body using builders chrome flashing tape, very sticky and very flexible stuff. Once burnished down as close as I could get it, the job was done.

IMG-3358.jpg

IMG-3365.jpg

It looks pretty good in the pictures, but I chose my angles carefully. In real life it's not so rosy. The plastic needs to curve in two planes to replicate a real screen and the stuff I'm using won't do that. It leaves a flat area mid screen that shows in some lights. It's the best I can do using this method though. I'm determined to find a better way of screen making, but time is running out for the GB and close enough will have to be good enough for now.

The Blue car got a look in today as well.

Here's both interior tubs, nearly done now. The red one is waiting on a shifter. I've made one, out of plastic card and a white glue shifter knob, that should be dry enough to fit in the morning.

IMG-3363.jpg

I cast a fresh set of wheels and tires for the blue car and chromed them with Molotow ink, followed by a dilute wash of Humbrol black. Knock offs were made, fitted and chromed as well. I also filed a flat area on one tire to see how that looks on the car. OK is the answer, and I'll do the rest later.

IMG-3367.jpg

Resin door handles and .5mm rivets for door key holes were added as well.

A disaster struck when I drilled the off side door for its key hole when the tiny drill bit snapped and I put a nasty scratch through the door panel.

IMG-3345.jpg

A try at carefully painting in a bit of decanted colour failed, leaving no option but to refinish the panel. A few choice words were heard, but the job's done now.

IMG-3346.jpg

IMG-3353.jpg

I refinished the lower half, to the body crease at mid way. I'm sure the colour is lighter than the rest of the car, but it's the same can of paint! Maybe the clear on the rest of the body is having some effect or other.

That's about it for the day. More later.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

I use silicon rubber for the actual moulds and two part liquid resin for the parts. The rubber is fairly rigid, although it can be bent to help release the moulded pieces. 

Same stuff I use Tony;

8 hours ago, TonyW said:

Are you making your moulds with enough side support? For a wheel I'll make a dam about an inch bigger all round so the shape of the wheel has something to hold it in place while you pour the resin.

I think that could well be it, been a while since I've done any moulding but I'm thinking I tend to make the dam just above the level of the top of the wheel mould. Cheers for that :)

Despite you saying it's a crafty photo angle, the glazing on the gold car looks really good, and miles better than what probably came in the kit.

And a good bit of scratch repair on the blue machine!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TonyW said:

IMG-3345.jpg

:doh:. Nice recovery though.

Some top fabricating going on. The new glass and re-cast wheels look superb. The chrome trim really is the finishing touch that lifts it.

I'm well impressed.

• Thanks 1

Carbs are a big improvement.   👌  I wish my resin parts came out that clean. 

Maybe add hood pins to the rear as well, to represent a lift-off hood?    Corvette hoods being front hinged, seeing them only on the front is making my OCD go crazy.  🙃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Six97s said:

Carbs are a big improvement.   👌  I wish my resin parts came out that clean. 

Maybe add hood pins to the rear as well, to represent a lift-off hood?    Corvette hoods being front hinged, seeing them only on the front is making my OCD go crazy.  🙃

Those resin bits are the good ones. The short shots and air bubble ones are in the bin. I'm getting better, but there are a load of failures still happening. With enough attempts, I can usually get what I need in the end.

That's a good point regarding the hood. I'll add a pair tomorrow. I had completely forgotten about the front hinging bit.

I'm getting pretty close to finishing both cars now.

The Candy car is all buttoned up after its six tail lights were installed., yet more resin casts. A plenum chamber has been fitted on top of the tunnel ram and a pair of much better carbs added in place of the rather flat ones I had on earlier. I've painted them with a 20/80 mix of yellow and gold that's not too far off carb colour. I've also run fuel lines to each, with throttle linkage of some sort to be added later. The scoop was chromed with brushed on Molotow and it needs another coat. I don't know if this stuff takes repeated coats on larger areas, I'll report back later.

IMG-3379.jpg

The blue car is also all one bit now. The shifter was fitted this morning, ditto its new wheels and tires. I've turned the fronts a bit for a change, I like the look. 

I've chromed the bumpers for the blue car, again with Molotow ink, they will get fitted tomorrow. 

There's not much left after that, so Gallery shots can't be far away.

IMG-3375.jpg

• Like 4

All done now, I've got to the point that I need to stop here. They both could do with a bit more work, but not at the moment. It's too close to the deadline to start colour sanding or pushing my luck anywhere else. They both look good on the shelf, if you don't get too close that is. I'm happy with that.

Gallery shots have been added. Here's a few more as the five picture limit for the gallery won't go far with two cars screaming for attention.

A bit of a cheat with this one, I've sprayed the top of an old spray can in the same colour the car is in, so I can have an early days type shot.

IMG-3403.jpg

The pair together.

IMG-3493.jpg

IMG-3506.jpg

IMG-3416.jpg

IMG-3442.jpg

IMG-3440.jpg

IMG-3437.jpg

IMG-3487.jpg

• Like 5

Congratulations Tony

Both Corvettes look the business.

Thanks for the tips as well for the homemade windscreen idea looks really good.

But where on earth did you find clear OHP material ?

Cheers Pat 

2 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

where on earth did you find clear OHP material ?

I used to help a guy who cleared redundant office equipment. I ended up with a projector and a part box of film.  I'm nearly out of it now, with maybe a half dozen sheets left. It's taken ten years or so to get through it all.

• Like 1

• TonyW changed the title to PK4102 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray times two. FINISHED.