PK4102 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray times two. FINISHED.

Nice.  I think I use the same make of paint stand.  🙃    That orange is perfect, much better than the red.  Dare I say those carbs might be letting it down a bit? The Revell '69 Camaros come with a decent Holley 4150 (as does the '69 Boss Mustang) and I've cast a few of those to replace the blobby carbs in other kits.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Six97s said:

Nice.  I think I use the same make of paint stand.  🙃    That orange is perfect, much better than the red.  Dare I say those carbs might be letting it down a bit? The Revell '69 Camaros come with a decent Holley 4150 (as does the '69 Boss Mustang) and I've cast a few of those to replace the blobby carbs in other kits.

The carbs do look a bit flat and uninteresting, I'll agree with you there. I was hoping to add a bit of linkage and plumbing and be done with it but I think you are right,  a better pair are needed. I'll check out the Revell ones, thanks for the nod.

What with the Revell/Monogram GB coming up soon, I think it might be time to get a Fireball Modelworks order in .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

More progress on the candy Corvette over the last day or two.

Not the clearest picture in the world, but there's a beam axle with disc brakes in front of the car in this shot. The rear tires have been fitted on basic plastic stub axles, centred in the cuttaway rear arches.

IMG-3189.jpg

Fitting the beam curbside style, just glued where it needs to be, dials in the ride height as I want it although plastic stubs would have given the same effect. The discs are just about visible through the front spokes if you look closely enough.

IMG-3194.jpg

The weather at the moment is pretty much ideal for painting, being warm and sunny. I've taken advantage of that and fired a few coats of clear over the gold bodyshell. It's taking the rays as I type. The colour really pops in sunlight.

IMG-3216.jpg

Next up will be glazing and chrome trims all round, plus a bit of engine excess poking through the hood. A Monogram six pak Dodge with custom engine parts looks like it's going to be the donner for the bits needed here.

More later.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Trying not to be jealous of the ideal weather to paint stuff in.

If you need anything Jet washed you have my address :raincloud:

Cheers Pat 

I'm blaming you for the pouring rain currently going on here Pat. Good job I got the clear coating done yesterday. No doubt it's bright and sunny at your end today.

• Like 1

I tried a new to me product on the Corvette this morning, Flocking fibres. Jet black and about 1mm long, scattered over diluted white glue in all the carpet areas of the cars interior tub.

IMG-3227.jpg

Just about impossible to photograph, the stuff eats light. It looks good but pretty much disappears once the body is in place. It does give a very dense black. This comes under the heading 'It can't be seen, but I know it's there' I believe

IMG-3229.jpg

I also ordered some red flock for the other Corvette but it's more a wine colour and won't suit the blue car at all. 

IMG-3230.jpg

I bought some other colours as well, they will get used on a few other builds once I get the hang of using the stuff.

I think used as a light colour 'carpet' or in a convertible would be the best use of the product. At least it could be seen then.

• Like 5

I've used flocking on all my road car builds for donkey's years. You're right that it can't really be 'seen' when the model is finished, but to my eyes it somehow gives a better perception of carpet than paint does for some reason. Or maybe I'm just fooling myself...!! 

To stick it down I use either enamel paint of a similar colour to the flock, or satin or gloss varnish.

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

To stick it down I use either enamel paint of a similar colour to the flock, or satin or gloss varnish.

Keith

That sounds a much better method than the white glue I used. Thanks for the tip.

I agree with your comment on the effect flocking gives, it does lift the look of the interior somehow. Maybe it's the absolute flatness of the finish? Painted carpet areas seen to reflect a bit of light no matter how matt the paint used is. Whatever the reason, I'm a convert.

I think I made life hard for myself, having the first go with the stuff on a one piece body tub. Using your paint adhesive method on a multi piece interior should give a better result. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

• Like 2

Hi Tony,

Many years ago I built a model railway layout and used some Woodland Scenics "scatter" material on the grass areas - I suspect it is just dyed sawdust. I painted the areas in question green and tried scattering some of the powder on whilst the paint was wet but it did not stick very well, so next I bought an aerosol of so called "fixative" for mounting photos etc and that worked pretty well - for a while. Over the years, me leaning on the surface, moving things around etc resulted in a fair bit coming off but inside your cars that would not happen - at least in theory!

Just a thought.

Pete

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Just a thought.

Hi Pete,

I've dabbled a bit in model railways too and to me scatter would be much too coarse to use for carpets. I did think of maybe using static grass as I've got piles of the stuff left over, but even the 2mm stuff is bigger than the flocking. 

To my eyes anyway :)

An alternative to flocking that Tony might like to try is embossing powder that looks even finer.

Keith

• Thanks 1

Looks good - it’s turning into a veritable passion wagon!

I’ve only used the green version for grass bases, and I stick it down with 50:50 matt varnish and PVA.

I would give it a good hard flick or two on the back before closing up, just to get any loose stuff off before you close it up and it all gets static attracted to the windows when you polish them.

Says the man who made a sandy base yesterday and has spent the whole of today listening to things make crunching sounds on the workbench. I cleared it all up with a wet tissue and everything, honest!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I would give it a good hard flick or two on the back before closing up, just to get any loose stuff off before you close it up and it all gets static attracted to the windows when you polish them.

Have to admit I've never had that happen (famous last words!) 🤣

As I said I use wet enamel paint or varnish as the adhesive. Apply the flock with a tea strainer over a box lid to catch the excess flock and make it easier to return to its container, Turn the flocked parts upside down and tap the reverse to remove any loose fibres. Repeat process on any bare patches. Again famous last words, but once dry I've never had loose flock floating about :)

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Hi Pete,

I've dabbled a bit in model railways too and to me scatter would be much too coarse to use for carpets. I did think of maybe using static grass as I've got piles of the stuff left over, but even the 2mm stuff is bigger than the flocking. 

I was not suggesting using it for carpet as I agree with you about the texture - just thinking about how to glue it down.

Pete

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

but once dry I've never had loose flock floating about

Fair enough. I tend to pile on a lot of flock so I guess there’s more chance of bits just getting tangled up to start with and working loose. I just gave my grass bases a flick or two and nothing is coming off now.

I guess I was just unnerved by all the crunchy sounds yesterday :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I tend to pile on a lot of flock

Adrian, are we talking about flocking powder or static grass? I use the latter on my bases and agree you do get a lot more loose fibres after sticking it down. I may well be wrong (nothing new there) but think the flocking powder I use in car models and static grass for bases are two different types of materials?

Keith

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterB said:

I was not suggesting using it for carpet as I agree with you about the texture - just thinking about how to glue it down.

Pete

Apologies Pete, communication breakdown... :)

Interesting points coming up here.

I've been using the grass fibres for ages and use either 3M photomount or diluted white glue to fix them. I was out of Photomount for the flocking attempt, so the glue was tried.

The fibres seemed to me to be a shorter length and different colour to the grass stuff, but still similar. There does seem to be differences though as this morning I'm finding flock fibres all over the place. The bench behind the one I did the work on had fibres on it as well as areas I thought I had cleaned up. It seems the stuff is so light, the slightest breeze gets it airborne and on its way. I used an old ice cream container to sprinkle the flocking in, using a fine sieve to apply it. I'll be doing any more flocking outside when possible to try to avoid any bad language if I find bits of carpet in a new paintjob for instance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TonyW said:

avoid any bad language if I find bits of carpet in a new paintjob for instance.

Whatever do you mean, how could that possibly happen.... :whistle: 🤣

(they really are a pain to polish out of clearcoat !! :) )

K

• Haha 1

On 21/05/2022 at 14:15, TonyW said:

I also ordered some red flock for the other Corvette but it's more a wine colour and won't suit the blue car at all. 

IMG-3230.jpg

:hmmm:You could sell that Claret and Blue combination to any West Ham United fan :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:You could sell that Claret and Blue combination to any West Ham United fan :thumbsup:

I shudder at the thought of Football getting dragged into the thread. Cars and football seem worlds apart.

Mind you, some time ago a big block powered Willys Coupe turned up on the UK car scene. A certain shade of blue and the name Headhunter down the sides. Most car guys wouldn't have a clue what the connection was, but I used to watch Chelsea play, back in the seventies. The owner of the car was a member of the football social club of the same name.

:footy:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TonyW said:

I shudder at the thought of Football getting dragged into the thread. Cars and football seem worlds apart.

:footy:

Sorry! Maybe posting this feature from Finnish "V-8 Magazine" some 40 years ago will make up for it?! V-P

2022-05-23_04-41-12

p.s. That was way back when there were classes Standard, Modified Standard, Street Altered (SA) and Competition Altered. That Vette did not compete in "H/Stock Automatic" :giggle:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Maybe posting this feature from Finnish "V-8 Magazine" some 40 years ago will make up for it?! V-P

p.s. That was way back when there were classes Standard, Modified Standard, Street Altered (SA) and Competition Altered. That Vette did not compete in "H/Stock Automatic" :giggle:

What football? I can only see some really tough Corvettes. All is good with the world again. 😎

Back in the days when I frequented Santa Pod, the Scandinavian cars were always the ones to watch. A full size '67 Impala, with eight coils on the firewall, picking its front wheels up and running in the nines got the crowds attention at one meeting. Happy days.

• Like 3