1/144 Sea King Beer Delivery

goon

Hi Gang,

I stumbled across this photo ages ago, showing a Sea King delivering beer to one of the carriers, probably Invincible, during the Falklands War.

WnpcrWE.jpg

Members at All Scale Modeller forum helped me determine it was a HAS.5 and even which airframe, and I had another go at using Prop Blur products to replace the main rotors and anti-torque rotors. I used the AFV Club 1/144 SH-3A/D kit which is close enough at this scale. The radome is the wrong shape, being more like a HAS.3, so I just gave it a going over with a sanding stick to make it look a bit more 'dumpy'. Decals couldn't be found so these are a combination of home printed, spares, and the sheet for a Wessex HAS.3 I have. Not sure how I'm going to build that one now! Figures are a combination of an old Preiser set, and some 3D printed ones I found online. I'd like to have made them a bit more dynamic but modding figures is hard enough, let alone at 1/144 scale. :)

The strop / lifting cables join / junction is a bit scruffy but most viewers will see it from above. If I get the inclination I might go back an dress it up with some fine wire. The beer barrels and pallets are 3D printed products and obviously a bit over sized but have a nice bit of detail for such small objects.

6Vq6hG6.jpg

U2QTvlm.jpg

q6QRZ1A.jpg 

TxT4gSf.jpg 

eogA3fO.jpg

Thanks for looking in,

Gareth (Who's just realised he hasn't painted the joints on the rear cable and the windscreen wipers!)

• Like 63

Very well done! :goodjob:

Do you have WIP photos of the prop blurs, which I suppose you built from Prop Blur individual blades?

Brengun has bits for a 1/144 Spitfire beer delivery vehicle if want to continue on the theme... :whistle:

• Like 1

Having spent all day delivering beer form a twelve tonner, a Sea King could be more fun and quicker.

It's a great subject and very nicely done. They look close enough to 11 gallon kegs so that's around 1408 pints.

• Like 1

Superb! One of the original deck crew seems to have taken a deep draught - he has obvious problems standing upright, clinging to the barrels... Very decent that you politely overlooked this in your lovely dio.

• Haha 1

Excellent scene, I really like the rotor blade effects, very dynamic, you really get the sense of movement, well lack of it in the hover. I imagine it is CSB. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the further comments everyone. No worries pointing out the tail rotor error. I decided to go with five so as to avoid having build a new hub, and six blurred blades might have looked a bit crowded,

Gareth