Airfix F/A-18 in early RAAF scheme.

stevehnz

The kit I'm using for this build, a 1989 boxing but with the date 1982 in one of the fuselage halves. As can be imagined, the cockpit is happily basic, good. I like them like that. ;) :D There is a decentish instrument panel, a scale 8" think HUD screen, might have to put some thought into that, a simple bang seat & a pilot I'll decorate a bit so he obscures the lack of detail on the seat. Perfect I reckon. :)

DSCF3374

The cockpit floor had a real banana shape to it so some hot water treatment straightened it out a touch, so at least the fuselage top would sit on with being pushed backwards. A small block of sprue glued under it should ensure it stays put. I'll be using some Hawkeye Models decals for this, but will need to revert to the kit ones for the slime lights & some markings which are crisper than the Hawkeye ones.

DSCF3375

This is a photo of the aircraft I'm hoping to complete, borrowed from this thread on the RNZAF Proboards forum, scroll to bottom of the page though there are some great photos along the way, Despite what the post says, the photos of the RAAF F.1111 & F/A-18 were taken at the 1987 Christchurch International Airshow, I was there though the photos aren't mine. Still remember the F.111 doing a dump & burn fly over & feeling the heat, but that is another thread for another day. :) 

Daines095

Steve.

• Like 11

On 2/22/2022 at 6:27 PM, stevehnz said:

Still remember the F.111 doing a dump & burn fly over & feeling the heat, but that is another thread for another day. :) 

Those were the days!

AW

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Andwil said:

Those were the days!

AW

I saw the F.111 do their thing a couple of times, the Christchurch show already mentioned & I'm pretty sure the Bicentennial show at Richmond in 1988. They were great fun, :D

Steve.

• Like 1

Sorry, I was a bit remiss in welcoming you- the second Airfix "victim", and the first new participant in a while.  (As for "participating", I've been focusing on outside-world "life" lately, but I'm hoping the swirl will diminish for a bit...)

bob

• Thanks 1

Time to show some progress. Happily, the cockpit being somewhat minimalist took very little, I even painted up a pilot to disguise the paucity of detail in there. Contrary to the instructions, the wings were stuck to the top fuselage part & are nice & secure. I wasn't impressed at the 4 part intakes with their accompanying internal seams, a smear of Vallejo putty has dealt to those adequately & they showing signs of fitting into place not too badly. The next stage will be to join up the fuselage, attach some engine cans, tail fins & the intakes & LERXs & we won't be far of some paint. I'm leaving the elevators off till later, I've clipped of the mushroom off the end of the shaft, they sit in OK & will get glued into place, possibly after decaling is done.

DSCF3376

Steve.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Now we've got something that starts to look like a Hornet. There has been filling of sink marks (& more to come :( ) & there will be some filling of where the LERXs join the wing, among other joins but I'm happy enough with the way it is coming together. :)

DSCF3379

Steve.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Probably could've had more to show if some clot hadn't decided it would look better with some dropped wing control surfaces to go with the dropped elevators the subject bird was parked with. They're not great but should add some interest to it. Pretty much ready just to paint it after that.

DSCF3384

Steve.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Plodding on, we into the last week of this GB now & although it'll be closeish, I'm fairly confident, barring decal failures, drops or whatever, of bringing it in on time. Not much more & I can gloss coat it & begin decalling, over the next day or so. Here ids the state of play, canopies , stabs & u/c sitting in place, pending decals & then it'll glue like crazy. :)

DSCF3395

Steve.

• Like 3

Thanks Arthur, they are the colour calls for the USN option in the boxing I have, the dark over light ghost gray just looks too dark taking into account the photo in my intro, tried the kit call, Humbrol 127 over 147 & thought it looked OK.

Steve.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Masters said:

This is looking very tidy Steve.  How's the progress?

Decals mainly done now John, it'll come down to how many stencils I can be bothered with, waste of time on the top side, they disappear into the top colour, a few on the underside will break things up though. 

Steve.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Decals mainly done now John, it'll come down to how many stencils I can be bothered with, waste of time on the top side, they disappear into the top colour, a few on the underside will break things up though. 

Steve.

Stenciling a 1/72 aircraft? Nay!

You're making a nice bird out of quite an old kit, Steve.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, PattheCat said:

Stenciling a 1/72 aircraft? Nay!

You're making a nice bird out of quite an old kit, Steve.

Thanks Pat, I think I need to treat myself to an Academy one to see how a nice kit goes together. As for stencils in 1/72, I have to agree, other than maybe a few of the more prominent ones. Dozens of tiny no steps & earth points. Nah. :headbang: :D

Steve.

• Like 1

Pretty much done, a couple of small touch ups & a coat of varnish all that remain, should be able to manage some photos with some daylight intruding & post before the witching hour on Sunday your time, Monday 11am my time, anyway here she is, an Airfix F/a-18A of 3 sqn RAAF in markings she wore in 1987, as witnessed by yours truly at the Harewood (Christchurch) Airport 50th Anniversary celebrations.

DSCF3398

DSCF3399

Now in the gallery. As a build, the older Airfix kit was a bit frustrating, fairly vague in the attachment of things like the Lerxs & a lot of filling between these, the engine intakes & wing roots, it was a fair amount of work to get it looking Okish. The decals were a mix of kit & haweye decals from Australia, afaik, the only option for this scheme. The kit slime lights were a brilliant yellow but the only ones I had so I toned them down with some Tamiya Khaki, I think it worked. :unsure: After some confusion over the Hawkeye instructions which @Romeo Alpha Yankee helped me out with, thanks Ray, I found they went on very well, no real hassles at all. I didn't use many of the upper surface stencils as they were a perfect match for the upper colour I used. neither did I follow the Hawkeye colour call, a paint out didn't match with my memory of the beast so I went with the kit's USN option colour call which made for a happier memory. It'll do me. My first F/A-18, several others in stock but no more Airfix ones. Happy to leave it like that.

Steve.

• Like 5

Thanks very much @Ray_W, @Romeo Alpha Yankee & @PattheCat for the nice comments & likes all. It is a bit easy to feel somewhat over whelmed by the magnificent big scale models in the gallery, but I'm pretty happy with my 1/72 one as it turned out though I do really need to get over the nostalgia value of older kits, it can be a bit over rated at times. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 4/12/2022 at 10:39 AM, stevehnz said:

I do really need to get over the nostalgia value of older kits, it can be a bit over rated at times.

I know all too well where you're coming from, but your build of that one's none too shabby (heavy on the English understatement).

• Thanks 1