Fiat Mefistofele

Great to see someone else uses margarine tubs for storage and other tasks 😁

Nice neat job on the chassis - it doesn't half look large though. Keep up the good work.

Incidentally, as you're using Flickr, when you have the picture open in there, you will see four icons below right of the picture, from left to right a square with pencil (edit), a curved arrow (share), a downwards arrow (download) and a trolley (buy). If you click the share arrow it will open up a pop-up window, select the BBCode tab on here to show your picture on the forum. That should bring up a box with a code in, and another with the size. You only need to select the size first time (800 or 1024 wide is best). Click on the code to highlight it, then you can paste it straight into the post to show the pic. If you don't want your name and photo ref also displayed, delete everything after the first "[/url]

And it should give you something like this - once you've done it a couple of times it becomes second nature.

51896667705_fa0508e748_b.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Steve,

Glad to see someone building this again. It is a great subject with loads of presence. Started building it ages ago, still not finished but that's down to me rather than the kit. The bits I have are great. The engineering is bonkers.

Looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

Regards

Nick

• Like 1

This kit is a new edition of the 70´s Protar metal version and was not improved at all. If you want to build a realistic version, a lot of alterings are required and the research will take much more time than the construction itself. I highly recommend to build a cradle.  If you´re interested in some advices, please tell me.   Hannes

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight I’ve managed to varnish and weather the bulkhead and wooden floor pan. I’ll be drilling holes to insert brass pins to represent the floor fixings tomorrow.

51941718872_1f04910643_b.jpg 51942703881_a678b11812_b.jpg

I’ve never been one to follow the plan to exact specs so I think my interpretation of the bulkhead looks quite good with the grain of the wood running in two directions.

51942704781_0b9c85ef1e_b.jpg

I need to think about what to do with those useless valve springs. The ones in the kit just don’t look right. I’ll be having a go at making new ones over the weekend…….how hard can it be?

• Like 3

Dear Steve, as I said above, this kit isn´t correct at all and if you build it oob with only some improvements, the result won´t  be satisfying. This is an old kit and Protar was known as a slip-shod company regarding fidelity at that time. This means, you have to alter a lot and there are many pics in the net which could help to do that.

My own version is not perfect but I took the time to erase many of the mistakes. Regarding the webbing: I was wrapping thin brown duct tape ( for parcels) cut in 2 mm strips around the spots where the webbing should be situated. This way I could prevent the shining through of the black background. I bought thin yarn in 2 brownish colors ( a darker and a lighter version) and was wrapping it tightly around these spots . They were secured by very very tiny drops of superglue on the downside of the springs.

Finally I secured the whole webbing by soaking it with Humbrol´s liquid clear by a brush.

On page 185 of the "Fiat 806 research and scratchbuild"-thread you will find a drawing I made for building  a cradle with the correct measures. I highly recommend to do that.  Many greetings!   Hannes 

• 2 weeks later...

Part 2 Fiat Mefistofeles 1/12 Italeri - Work In Progress - Vehicles - Britmodeller.com  

On Sam´s thread you will also find some hints for improving your Mef. On the second drawing I made you will see the improvements of the frontal axis system including the dampers and struts. If you follow the booklet, your build will become wrong !  F.I. ; there are 2 blades up on the right damper and not three and it´s situated higher. There´s also a 5th damper directly behind the frontal axis. The mounting points are wrong and must get altered. 

If you decided to participate in a community, why not learn from other members?  Our common struggle for truth regarding the Fiat 806 was leading to a result, that noone  could have achieved as a lone wolf.