Trumpeter Scharnhorst 1/200 ignored by PE manufacturers?!

Zacharias

What the hell is going on?
I mean, really?? After almost year and a half (November 2020.) after release of a new Trumpeter 1/200 Scharnhorst, there are still absolutely no PE sets for that long anticipated kit of famous German WW2 warship?
In the previous years various PE manufacturers were releasing PE sets on a monthly basis for various subjects, many of which were/are not even close to popularity of famous Scharnhorst!?
So, what am I missing here, why there is such a silence from PE manufacturers, why are they completely ignoring release of 1/200 Scharnhorst?

Sorry you're not getting the toys you need.

The usual best-in-class to tackle this would have been Pontos Model, but whilst Kim hasn't abandoned aftermarket detail sets, he is trying to live off and pay employees from his business and has realised that he makes far better returns on investment making detail sets for plastic kit manufacturers to box up as their own and sell in "Premium Editions" of the base kits. He can sell ten thousand units that way as opposed to hundreds selling standalone. Moreover, he's well aware of the bizarre aversion many have to spending more on go-withs than whatever they picked up the plastic for, so his most recent efforts have been full kits of his own.

Infini Model have never touched 1/200 scale.

Mk1 might, I suppose.

Flyhawk is making much more of their business making their own kits.

The mature PE-only brands of White Ensign Models and Gold Medal Models are wary of 1/200 scale as they typically haven't been great sellers.

Eduard will probably do something but they really are the weakest in this niche of the business by a long stretch.

Even if someone does want to, there needs to be an appropriate volume of reference material. I've never looked personally - I don't know whether or not it exists.

• Like 1

There are modelmonkey resin parts for this and I know micromaster do some as well. Without looking I'd assume shapeways must also have some detail parts. Brass barrels as well.

It's be interesting to know the 1/200 ship sales, I have a feeling Scharnhorst isn't near a Hood or Bismarck, which is quite a shame.

David

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

There are modelmonkey resin parts for this and I know micromaster do some as well. Without looking I'd assume shapeways must also have some detail parts. Brass barrels as well.

It's be interesting to know the 1/200 ship sales, I have a feeling Scharnhorst isn't near a Hood or Bismarck, which is quite a shame.

David

Pontos told me that their 1/200 Bismarck sold 10x as many as their 1/200 Hood. Telling in itself...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Pontos told me that their 1/200 Bismarck sold 10x as many as their 1/200 Hood. Telling in itself...

Oh my, I expected them to be much closer.

Forgot to say earlier, there is an excellent Anatomy book on Scharnhorst. Now just got to find me a 1/200 grand old lady.

David

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2022 at 10:25, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Am I the only one who finds this deeply depressing?  What the <profanity removed> is it with the modern world’s complete obsession with the Nazis, pretty much to the exclusion of the guys who actually… well, you know…beat them?  It seems that anything with swastikas sells by the bucketload.  White ensign?  Meh

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, managed to get the scharnhorst for a really good price, excited to do it, have a few projects to finish first. 1/16 rc King tiger and a warm up with the prinz eugen 1/350

Emailed WEM and they have no plans for pe for the kit however some of the bismarck set can be reused, hatches, Arado set and Portholes. So that's a win. 

This chap has some excellent looking resin parts, the aa armament is really what I am interested in. Have ordered from him before and was good stuff

https://distefano3dprint.com/collections/1-200-scale

Wooden deck found one on ebay, cy20013 have a look for that, 75 quid and includes metal barrels.

Looking at the kit it seems pretty good anyway, etch is decent, nice mouldings and the above will lift it to a really good level I think, or good enough for my skills anyway!!

Deans marine do an rc conversion kit for the bismarck which once again I'm sure can be reappointed to the scharnhorst. Very tempting and I think I'll have a go. 

Just finishing up a type 45 destroyer then onto the next projects, really enjoyed the ships again, that and armour will be my thing I think. 

Hope the above helps

Cheers

Dave

• Like 2

On 12/04/2022 at 23:47, Gillaspy2005 said:

Hi all, managed to get the scharnhorst for a really good price, excited to do it, have a few projects to finish first. 1/16 rc King tiger and a warm up with the prinz eugen 1/350

Emailed WEM and they have no plans for pe for the kit however some of the bismarck set can be reused, hatches, Arado set and Portholes. So that's a win. 

This chap has some excellent looking resin parts, the aa armament is really what I am interested in. Have ordered from him before and was good stuff

https://distefano3dprint.com/collections/1-200-scale

Wooden deck found one on ebay, cy20013 have a look for that, 75 quid and includes metal barrels.

Looking at the kit it seems pretty good anyway, etch is decent, nice mouldings and the above will lift it to a really good level I think, or good enough for my skills anyway!!

Deans marine do an rc conversion kit for the bismarck which once again I'm sure can be reappointed to the scharnhorst. Very tempting and I think I'll have a go. 

Just finishing up a type 45 destroyer then onto the next projects, really enjoyed the ships again, that and armour will be my thing I think. 

Hope the above helps

Cheers

Dave

Very much hope you do a build log when you get to her, would be great to see her coming to shape especially with an Rc conversion as well

• 9 months later...

Hey all, just thought I would post an update in case it helps.

MK.1 have released an upgrade pack for the Scharnhorst. 

http://ka-models.co.kr/?product=1-200-dkm-battleship-scharnhorst-dx-pack-for-trumpeter

I have got myself one on backorder from Hannants, tis not cheap however if you are going to do one of the 1/200 then its not an inexpensive undertaking. 

I'll post a bit of a review when i get it. I'm not a rivet counter really, if it looks up to scratch (it does) then ill be happy. Thank goodness it has resin aa guns, I have started the Prinz Eugen in 1/350 and am doing the 40mm bofors photo etch pieces. They are very nice but time consuming! 18 to do, taking me a while it must be said.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1