1/72 Italeri Mk.Vb Spitfire 154 Squadron 1942

Hi all and this is my latest (and longest) finish, Italeri's 1/72 Spitfire Mk. Vb.

Started about 3 years ago, finally finished this week for the KUTA group build. Shortish build thread is here.

The kit was a struggle for me and that's shown in the final finish - the wingtip parts fit was very iffy, as was the nose. The prop blades are far too skinny and the raised detail for the wing .303s is way too heavy. The aftermarket wing roundels are too big (or the wing is too narrow) as they shouldn't overlap the ailerons. My efforts at oil fading were very iffy. I could go on but it's a hobby after all! 😆

Aftermarket decals (which were lovely) are for Wing Cdr Brendan 'Paddy' FInucane of 154 Squadron, July 1942 just before he was KIA following a fighter sweep. 

Thanks for looking and happy modelling.

Dermot

51881791780_5c902d6ecf_b.jpgItaleri_1_72_Spitfire_Mk5b_Finished (1) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51880174837_f8f81767e4_b.jpgItaleri_1_72_Spitfire_Mk5b_Finished (8) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51881219883_b5d368da53_b.jpgItaleri_1_72_Spitfire_Mk5b_Finished (2) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51881137736_70941820e9_b.jpgItaleri_1_72_Spitfire_Mk5b_Finished (3) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51881460894_947b1251a8_b.jpgItaleri_1_72_Spitfire_Mk5b_Finished (4) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

51880175012_f086fdc672_b.jpgItaleri_1_72_Spitfire_Mk5b_Finished (6) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

You did an excellent job in spite of all the difficult issues this kit features. 👏 All the Italeri Spitfire kits in 1/72 scale suffer from serious overengineering. Of course, at the time they were released in the early 1990s they were a better alternative to build a Spitfire in 1/72 scale than other kits that were available back then. In my view, the Italeri Vb has less issues than the IX or the VII. If you choose to do a clipped wing version you even have less hassle with the Italeri Spitfire kits. So you really deserve credit for going the extra mile to attach the wingtips. The fuselage is also quite complicated to assemble and you certainly made the right choice to leave the cockpit open since the closed option is difficult to complete and requires even more effort to get a decent result. A viable option to get around the issues with the prop blades is to source a spare one from a KP kit which has three different propellers in the box. Fighting against all these odds you made a beautiful Spitfire. 👍

• Thanks 1

That looks good. I like the faded look you have achieved on the green and grey Camo. In your WIP you mention using a 'oil-fading' technique to achieve this. I'm not familiar with that, how do you do it, if I may ask?

11 hours ago, Smudge said:

That looks good. I like the faded look you have achieved on the green and grey Camo. In your WIP you mention using a 'oil-fading' technique to achieve this. I'm not familiar with that, how do you do it, if I may ask?

Thanks Smudge.
I tried my best to use this approach which I saw on Phil Flory's page but need to practice it a lot more.!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 2:23 PM, Dermo245 said:

it's a hobby after all

Yes, it is - and I, for one, rather like your build, The Italeri Spitfire is much maligned, but your build looks like a Spitfire to me.

• Like 2