***Finished***PBS’ Czechoslovak Fishbed

PhantomBigStu

Have gone down a rabbit hole today after considering entering the Zvezda 1/72 in the box Finnish markings before colour matching issues made me switch to using spare Matchbox for East German or possibly both with a KP Joypack to now considering a Slovak one from the Smer kit. In short I’m still none the wiser but now no way I won’t be building one now. Going to revisit the rabbit hole tommorow

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I did a quick dig Stu, I think the white band was temporary distemper. Looks like it maybe for war games, or decorative. Here is the same airframe 8208 at a later time in the Slovak Air Force in same/similar camouflage but with a white/red chevron. 

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/94041/L/Slovakia-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-21MF/8208/

Im thinking you could build it without the white. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I did a quick dig Stu, I think the white band was temporary distemper. Looks like it maybe for war games, or decorative. Here is the same airframe 8208 at a later time in the Slovak Air Force in same/similar camouflage but with a white/red chevron. 

https://www.airfighters.com/photo/94041/L/Slovakia-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-21MF/8208/

Im thinking you could build it without the white. 

I did a little digging as best I can on my phone after a couple of Saturday night drinks and looks like the stripe and sharkmouth were both for the exercise, also not quite the same camo, one of the other options is the same camo before independence, think I’m going to settle on that one. 

• Like 2

• PhantomBigStu changed the title to PBS’ Czechoslovak Fishbed

Had a bit of mare with this, first discovered I’d ruined my hunbrol no2 for the nosecone by overthinning it then the nose ring part broke and I lost one of the bits (or I thought I did) after 2 hours moving everything out of the room and draws and forensically searching I found it safe on top of one of my paint racks, must have put it there for safety while the other bit dried. 🙄 As for the nosecone picked up some Vallejo 981 looks a better match. resized_7b5978a6-1c05-438d-84e1-25aed513

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Finally did it, not the best decals lost a few stencils and one of the rounders, spares sufficed but all ready on and varnish before the blue is darker and should have been saved for the underside so at least the top 6 match 6-B22-E87-D-B98-E-46-D6-B687-58-AFD6-D43

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3