bentwaters81stTFW

Julien

Frank, just to let you know and perhaps let you know what to expect from my experience a couple of years ago when I had mine done, it was decided 2 stents were needed, had to fast for a bit too as you are probably doing or will be doing shortly in the hours leading up to your Opp.

It can and should be a quick Opp, but not always everything goes to plan, like you again I had to put be put on pause for a while, while more urgent stuff happened that was unexpected and fair play.

Anyway, finally on to the slab, asked how long would it take, was told anything from an hour to 3 hours plus, mine took the best part of 3 hours + for sure, plan was to go through both wrists at once with two separate surgeons each side of me, left wrist no problem, but my right wrist they were clearly struggling and after a bit was told they were aborting that right wrist entry point and were going through my right groin area and they were still struggling for some reason?, all the time I had to remain as still as possible and that's not as easy to do as one might expect, not for 3 hours plus, was fed happy juice or something LOL that helped me relax, but it was a struggle just to lay still for so long and especially towards the end of the opp.

It was all on multiple screens that the surgeons and assistants could see, but I preferred not to look at it during the procedure, finally and at the end they let me see the difference before and after stents and it was quite amazing, my main heart artery was totally blocked before and now it was there very visible indeed, was kept in overnight because of the above average normal length of time and complications, but they let me go home in the morning un-assisted.

Short recovery time, perhaps some temp meds I forget now? but the difference was massive, no more pain in chest when doing exercise, just a new lease of life really.

You'll be fine 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick update, had angiography, 7 lesions, 6 of which severe. Will discuss decide tomorrow with medics re treatment.

although treatable by stent, most likely a trip to Papworth for bypass work. If so it will take time.

Thanks for all the good wishes guys, this a big bump in the road.

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

I just found this. Really sorry to hear about the big bump in the road but they are pretty slick doing this stuff these days. Do as the doc orders and get better soon. We are all rooting for you Frank  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that you have hit a bump in the road Frank and it's not as 'simple' as it could have been to get you back on your feet. Take it easy and I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say that we hope that you get through it as smoothly as possible and have the best possible outcome. 

21 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

this a big bump in the road.

It is indeed. But, positive vibes. The Op is a straightforward thing nowadays. 

You'll be asleep, in fact, on machines. You'll either wake up or you won't. It's that big.

But, chances are you will. So, positive vibes once again.

Welcome to your second chance at life. That's how I looked at it. Not everyone gets that chance.

Good luck, see you on the other side.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After I had my open-heart surgery, and leaving ICU, I shared a room/ward with three guys who had by-passes.  We all had our ops on the same day, yet they were up and about, doing their exercises whilst I just laid there feeling fragile.  They told me that they all felt so much better and they were all discharged within the week.  and two days before me.

Good luck with whichever option is decided Frank,  as Pete says, it's positive vibes.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've had bypass surgery too.  I would have been discharged within the week but for a slight infection which took a couple of days to clear up.  I certainly remember feeling weak and fragile, and after coming home there was a chair brought to the top of the stairs so I could rest after climbing them.  And I hated having to try to sleep propped upright (or almost upright.  But I started out by walking along the street counting lampposts.  Each day I went one lamppost further, until I could go around the little loop where we live.  It didn't take long, in retrospect to get back to the way I had been before, I made no attempt at any greater claim, but I know others do.  

• Like 4

Plan B. Papworth will not operate until 7 weeks after covid as the risk factor is  markedly higher. The attack that put me in here is a single blockage, and they will stent that in the next 2 days, and ship me out. After the risk period, they will bypass the other side.

• Like 6

@Julien told me about you when it happened, so hopefully he's been passing on all my disparaging comments/get well soon messages :D

My 80 year old mum had a triple bypass last year, and she's doing great, so a wee stripling like you should walk it off.  We expect to see you back doing your marathons before the year's out.  Oh, and don't let that 7 weeks deadline slide, as there's a lot of patients falling off the conveyor at the moment.  I've had to chivvy them up for myself and my mum, and I know a few others that have too.  Keep it in your diary and get in touch.  I'd still be waiting for my op if I hadn't got on the phone ;)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Job done. felt like I had been kicked by a mule. Just waiting to come off the monitor and the discharge to be done.

Best news this year !  As Mike says above don't let the seven week period slide.  Oh and if you are tempted to do some modelling stay away from Mach 2 kits - blood pressure and all that you know :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I have a Mach 2 Argosy and a Magna VC-10 on the stocks. Kill or cure.

Back home and sorting out the backlog.

Nah, leave ‘em alone and do a bequest to @Mike leaving them to him with a request he does both as a wip on here - revenge from the other side :rofl2:

• Haha 8

• 3 months later...

Just an update guys, been to Papworth for a pre-op today and go under the butcher on this Friday 🪚.  Julien will update on here until they let me loose on the keyboard, probably the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1