* 1/350 Yukikaze ( Snow Wind ) by Tamiya + Infini + BECC Flag *

ZvN5vyih.jpg

ENYaVsrh.jpg

gRSUIW6h.jpg

5GqWMr4h.jpg

ZKjQu1yh.jpg

This is a terrific Model kit of the most famous ' lucky ship ' Destroyer YUKIKAZE ( means Snow Wind ) in the Imperial Japanese navy which served from 1941 to 1945 with distinction .

This was a lovely kit , which fitted like a dream , it was given the addition of the South Korean ' Infini ' Super Detail set used , which is a very comprehensive etch set , which is even more extensive

( by a long way ) to the Lion Roar set ( unobtainable now ) Ref  IM-535001R1 for the 1/350 IJN Destroyer Yukikaze for TAMIYA Detail up set.

The Contents of the Infini Super-Detail set were as follows -

Photo Etching : 3 Sheets (180x97mm) + 1 Sheet (90x64mm) , Turned Brass (110pcs for single barrel AA guns , triple barrel AA guns , metal depth charges , 4 x 5 inch Main gun barrels ) , Rigging Thread : Black Lycra 10m , Metal Screw : 2pcs

and a Gold Metal Name Plate plus a detailed and easily followed Instruction Manual

I also added to the Model a Cotton Fabric ' BECC ' 1/350 Scale Flag for the Rising Sun at the stern -

and this made a huge difference , far better than a Decal - as you can make it look like it is fluttering in the wind - to be honest to the naked eye it looks even better , than my I Pad makes out !

This Model is very highly recommended

The Basic Model once it has had a detail up set added to it , dramatically improves it - I hope that the results speak for themselves !

I built it over a good number of months last year , but never got round to photographing it and displaying it here , due to my NHS ' Operating Theatre ' Pandemic work which has taken a huge amount of my spare time

by reducing my normal energy levels ( I have not caught Covid for some reason ) so that I just wanted to rest mid-week - so most of the work was done on weekends and a few weeks annual leave .

I also did a few ' Agency ' shifts so that took a bit of my normal spare time ( I needed them money )

I hope this is a reasonable model , probably average compared to all the fabulous models I see posted here 

I forgot reason building it was that in the late 1980's , I purchased an old Volume 1 of Profile Warships ( 1971 )  , this ship was featured , so it seemed logical to build it !

kind regards

73North

• Like 27

Gidday @73north I have to disagree with you when you said it's a reasonable model. No, you've done an exceptional model, one you can include in the 'fabulous' category. 👍 (Your 2nd last line above). I've done a simple build, well conversion actually of this ship in 1/700 and would like to do her again in 1/600 but it'll have nowhere near the detail you've done here. She's very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

I think it looks a Fabulous build though if I'm honest the photos don't do it justice.

Your "corticene" and it's strips just look terrific.

The rigging is excellent

I feel this build more than hold's it's own against the rest here :clap2:

Rob

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 9:29 AM, robgizlu said:

I think it looks a Fabulous build though if I'm honest the photos don't do it justice.

Your "corticene" and it's strips just look terrific.

The rigging is excellent

I feel this build more than hold's it's own against the rest here :clap2:

Rob

X6zPH09h.jpg

Problem solved - better photo taken today 

qQldkeFh.jpg

3T8jyXSh.jpg

Edited by 73north
  • Like 4

On 2/22/2022 at 7:15 PM, 73north said:

Problem solved - better photo taken today 

Yes But No But not enough of them need to see more please what a stunning build.  :worthy:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Thanks 1

I finally found my old build photos - I thought they were lost after computer problems last year , which are very instructive just how good the engineering and design features are in a Tamiya Model Ship ( 1/350 Scale ) Kit .

The Hull - note the Plastic Stiffeners in the Hull ( with slots half-way down you would cut through if you wanted a waterline hull - impressive ) 

This allows a good fit and also makes certain when the decks are fitted there is adequate support throughout - the build was a joy , thanks to this foresight and engineering .

Note - the 2 Washers are reinforcement mounts for the 2 plastic kit pedestals which fit onto the Kit Display Base ( which comes with 2 Tamiya Decal Stickers for the Ships name - 

one with 2 Decals with Japanese Writing and 2 Decals with English Writing 

I only used one Decal and the other side of the Display Base had the Infini Name Plate fitted ( as per photos ) 

xCFP3iDh.jpg

The Main ( Aft ) Mast - note Tamiya Kit Jig to make certain the alignment is perfect - and the finished article with etch added 

AER4Dehl.jpg k5PBx1vl.jpg

Fore Mast - with Tamiya Jig ( note plastic arrow showing you how it will be installed in the Ship , facing the right way )

LfE5iYdh.jpg

and finally the Funnel - with photo-etch - which makes a huge difference to the look of the Kit 

rj8cDKXh.jpg

I hope post this might be of help to any Modeller planning this Kit in the present or future 

Edited by 73north
  • Like 3

Model looks great, I am not really a fan of the way Japanese ships look but that does noch change the fact that your build is superb. Excellent worke on the PE, the funnel is especially impressive. Nice weathering - not too much, not too little.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...