1/8 Nagano Honda GL1000 K1 Goldwing 1975

Manufacturer: Nagano

Aftermarket: None used

Paints: Mr Hobby 1500 black primer, AK Gloss Varnish, Mr Color super metallic 2 super iron 2, Zero paints Titanium silver, Tamiya clears, 2K clear coat, Molotow liquid chrome

Weathering: Mig Ammo 1203 Streaking Grime wash

Link to build: 

Hi all, here is the finished Honda Goldwing 70's bike build.

I had painted a Honda CB750KO full size bike for a client last year and I had enough paint left over to easily paint the model as it was the same colour used.

I did a bit of scratch building to fill in some details that were missing from the kit, mainly the carburettor linkages and coolant expansion tank drain pipes. I used fibre optic strand to make the clear plastic tubing.

Also I added the manual choke cable knob that's fixed to the handle bar bracket, and added the black plate that sits between the back of the radiator and carburettors.

Lots of hand painting was applied to the switch gear to give the impression of lettering, I think at this scale those details are required.

It's a long out of production kit that was showing its age, lots of flash in places and some crude engineering on some parts, but on others they looked very good indeed.

Finally, I added some photos of my real bike as comparison.

hvL9TB7.jpg
KTjzYbh.jpg
RHAkwjm.jpg
yKKFs2R.jpg
Frr3w27.jpg
fkQCYDm.jpg
D5RCz0I.jpg
tsiiY9M.jpg
on4ksCJ.jpg
9QhJd6x.jpg
79MGIG2.jpg
jIbAOcP.jpg

Real bike comparison photos:

2PLBzHP.jpg
gZQfRtB.jpg
vYsD1So.jpg
6A8VvmG.jpg
tADUR6g.jpg

Edited by Lee Chambers
  • Like 22

12 minutes ago, Ryedale Wolf said:

Superb model, love the CBX too

Can I ask what paints you used on the engine?

Thanks, I used Mr Color super metallic super iron 2 and Zero paints Titanium silver. Also used 2k clear over the front cam belt cover, this turns the kit chrome plating to more of a polished aluminium look. The engine and carb intake tubes were 2k cleared then after about a week I hand painted the intake carbs tubes with Molotow liquid chrome.

Always a high-risk strategy putting photos of the real thing next to photos of a model of it. But it's one which has paid off here, really shows the quality of your build that you have to stop and thing which is model and which full size.

• Thanks 1

That's really nice, well done :) 

I always liked the early gold wings before they turned into the huge plastic clad creations

Nice colour, most of the ones I remember were the dark metallic red/burgandy colour

Must admit, your 1:1 is very nice as well, never actually owned a Honda though, always had mainly Kawasakis and a couple of Yamahas over the years, still got a couple of older Kwaks in the garage for high days and holidays :)   

Ian 

5 hours ago, Redstaff said:

That's really nice, well done :) 

I always liked the early gold wings before they turned into the huge plastic clad creations

Nice colour, most of the ones I remember were the dark metallic red/burgandy colour

Must admit, your 1:1 is very nice as well, never actually owned a Honda though, always had mainly Kawasakis and a couple of Yamahas over the years, still got a couple of older Kwaks in the garage for high days and holidays :)   

Ian 

Thanks Ian, I am currently restoring a 1986 GPZ1000RX, a 60th Birthday present to myself.

• Like 1

Not quite old enough to have owned any of these classics (except perhaps the CBX1000). I'm 67 next month (where the hell did the years go?...)

I remember drooling over the Goldwing in our local Honda dealership in Rochester high street (1972/3 ish?) - Chambers bicycles. I had the brochures everything, but no money and no licence! Didn't get that until '78.

Cheers,

Alan.

Edited by Alan R
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Lee Chambers said:

Thanks Ian, I am currently restoring a 1986 GPZ1000RX, a 60th Birthday present to myself.

Nice choice, I've got a 1984 GPZ900r that I was restoring, but I haven't touched it for a couple of years now. Being an engineer as a day job, I don't find it relaxing to come home and carry on doing the same stuff. Maybe when I retire I'll feel different 😁

2 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Nice choice, I've got a 1984 GPZ900r that I was restoring, but I haven't touched it for a couple of years now. Being an engineer as a day job, I don't find it relaxing to come home and carry on doing the same stuff. Maybe when I retire I'll feel different 😁

I know how you feel, it's hard to get motivated sometimes.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...