PK-101, LTV A-7D Corsair II, 1973 Matchbox, 1/72 scale, 3 Colour Kit

Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time, and I am impressed and enthused by everyones participation in this group build already. That said my entry thus far is the Matchbox A-7D Corsair II kit. Back in the day I never built this one myself, although my dad did so I saw/played with it up close way back when.

I've only just started it overnight, although I did remove the parts from the sprues some time ago, and have consequently misplaced the little man in the cockpit, yet fortunately for this build a somewhat blue chap who normally sits in a 2 seat Hunter has offered to stand in.

As to my progress, well so far all I've got through is having finished cleaning up one fuselage half, the seat, fuel receptacle thingimy-jig and the tail pipe. While I've started cleaning up the intake parts as well.

My plans are to paint it all, to hide our man blue. Plus finish it with all of the bombs, drop tanks, missiles, with wheels down and fitted on the stand as well. If I knew where the real A-7 driver was hiding I would build it without painting it. Yet I am just as happy to colour it in with paints as well.

Of which the following pictures show the box, instructions and the parts I haven't worked on yet.

B8xhUiE.jpg

4Q3UHVp.jpg

vPLaTSI.jpg

0poC6Ea.jpg

Bnd0Vrn.jpg

8a2dSMK.jpg

G0W3x4x.jpg

OnmUNW3.jpg

7db8f3g.jpg

PkRDEwk.jpg

7hNTU5V.jpg

Anyway cheers, and I hope you have all been well along the way since I was last here.

Daniel.

• Like 9

Back Again,

First with the parts I've started cleaning up.

DqOTpGe.jpg

Then second with the parts I have cleaned up, to fix blemishes on the plastic from years of storage etc.

c5QIvLs.jpg

4wInU1n.jpg

ymQl1dw.jpg

That covered, for painting I'm planning on mostly following the instructions, except for maybe painting the pilot and the things that go bang.

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 9

Great stuff Daniel 

I was a bit worried that I could only see one fuselage half in the picture but I'm sure the other half was just hiding.

Best of luck with this one, with all that ordinance, it's going to be terrific 👍 

Cheers Pat

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Welcome to this GB Daniel with the A-7 Corsair being a very popular kit. There's some nice large and clear photos going on here so this has all the hallmarks for a good WIP. I do say, those large fuselage panel lines are really something aren't they! 

Cheers and best of luck.. Dave 

• Like 1

Thanks @stevej60, @mike romeo, @JOCKNEY and @Rabbit Leader,

I am a bit further along now. and will post some pictures over the next few days. One of the things I have encountered is the wing and horizontal stabiliser tabs that fit into the fuselage are too small or the slots are too small. So after thinning the tabs a bit, they now fit very well. I don't know if anyone else has encountered this building this kit, yet it is something to watch out for especially since the plastic on some of these kits may be a little brittle as well.

Cheers All,

Daniel.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am still working on the Corsair and since I am wanting to make it perfect as such, there's a lot of seam removal, plus sanding and polishing being involved.

With the picture below showing the last pile of parts that I am cleaning up, once they're done assembly and painting will begin in earnest.

YD4awSl.jpg

Meanwhile the following has just arrived today via a purchase on eBay from the USA, and I will be starting that one shortly as a painted out of the box build as well. Unfortunately the decals may be unsalvageable because of the tissue paper, otherwise it's in terrific condition and I'm very excited.

dbq5Lfp.jpg

rvSm6Ea.jpg

Cheers,

Daniel.

• Like 2

Nice work so far on the A7.

I always assumed the box art was a Vietnam scenario, it was only when I read the small print on the front I found it was set on a training range in Florida!

That 109 looks mint. I would really struggle to build it. Collectors are weird though.

Tony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @TonyW, I understand your reluctance. Yet I wish less people collected them, so I would have more opportunity to build all of the original Matchbox range from way back when.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...