GWH 1/48 Sukhoi Su-35S Flanker E

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

Wow, incredible!

And basically oob :)

Any ohoto of those improved compressor blades? Can ist still be seen after completion?

cheers, 

:partytime:

Here you go: 

IMG_8807_HEIC-M.jpg

....and in place 🤣 :

IMG_8813_HEIC-M.jpg

IMG_8815_HEIC-L.jpg

1 hour ago, paulsbrown said:

Good work! Is there a build log?  You've employed some interesting techniques and wondered what your thoughts were with the paint comparisons (Akan/MRP).

There is a "Work in Progress" on another forum but I don't think Mike would appreciate me posting a link to it. 

I did order the Akan paint sets for the Su-35 and for the Su-27 but when I saw the size of the bottles I really didn't think that there would be enough to cover a 1/48 kit (I would be interested to hear others views on that). Comparing the colours in the bottles they look quite close to the MRP colours though. Not exactly a scientific method of comparison....

IMG_8950_HEIC-M.jpg

10 minutes ago, JeffreyK said:

Wow, stunning, that paint work is  exceptional. Especially around the engines. I have the Su-27 in the stash and love all the detail in the box. But that exhaust area painting scares me...

J

I haven't looked too closely at the Su-27 yet so couldn't say if they 'suffer' from as much discolouration as the 35 does, I know the tailplanes don't have as much bare metal on them as the 35. Honestly, I had no idea how I was going to replicate what I was seeing in photos and just took my time building up the layers of colour. It took me a whole month just to paint the actual nozzles but less time to paint the engine covers. I wish I had started on the lower side first because by the time I got to the lower side (which I think looks much better than the top) I kind of knew what I was doing after making it up as I went along on the top.

IMG_9232-L.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, haneto said:

Congratulations on the final outcome!

Simply outstanding!

Love the difference surface texture especially the bare metal/nozzle area, really inspiring!

Look forward to more Flanker builts from you.

Yufei

Thanks Yufei, as you know I was following your brilliant work most of the way. I look forward to following your work again when I build the Su-27 and UB already in the stash (and I'm really excited about getting the Su-30SM too when it makes it to Europe).

Duncan B

1 minute ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That's gorgeous Duncan, and it's clear to see the amount of time and effort you poured into painting this beastie - particularly around the hot end.

At the expense of everything else it has to be said 🤣. I did have to take a couple of breaks from it over the 10 month period so all in all I think it was about 6 months actual building time. A lot of that time was spent trying to find good reference photos and just staring at Yufei's (haneto) build log wondering what magic he used to produce his amazing example.

DB

• Like 1

That's exceptional! The metal paint work around the engines is superb and I can't believe how detailed the engines are from the box, they're better than the resin engine exhausts in the Kitty Hawk kit. I think if I build another Flanker it'll have to be this companies offering.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Deano353 said:

That's exceptional! The metal paint work around the engines is superb and I can't believe how detailed the engines are from the box, they're better than the resin engine exhausts in the Kitty Hawk kit. I think if I build another Flanker it'll have to be this companies offering.

The exhaust petals were in four pieces which I didn't like because the inside joints were difficult to clean up (partly my own fault because I sanded too much off the sprue gates and created gaps for myself to fill). That it probably my worst criticism of the whole kit! I would possibly invest in a set of ResKit exhausts if I was doing another one.

Duncan B

Astounding work overall, and incredible paint work on the exhaust areas!  I've got a nice SU-33 in the stash, and if I can accomplish even half as impressive an engine area, I'll be well pleased.  Now I can tell the wife I've been ogling an attractive rear end on the internet, and she can't hit me!  She still will, though...

• Haha 1

Thanks very much for all the comments, I'm glad you all like it.

The big question for me now is do I start another Flanker (I currently have the GWH Su-27 and Su-27UB along with the Minibus Su-33 in the stash) or do I take a break from such a big project and do something a bit smaller? I've just drooled my way through @haneto's work in progress on the new (to Europe) 1/48 GWH Su-27 and am sorely tempted to break it out of it's box.

Duncan B

• 2 months later...