Half a Pegasus Albacore - finished

AdrianMF

10 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Hyperscale (the Airfix forum bit) did a world GB. A really fun project to watch!

That does sound intriguing, we should attempt a GB like that.

Another good one I’ve heard of is kit kindle, basically everyone puts in a kit to a maximum value, preferably something odd or difficult, names are drawn and you build what you get, can be entertaining.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2022 at 9:21 PM, AdrianMF said:

I can’t decide whether to extend the cowling or not. It looks a bit small to house a 46” diameter twin row engine to me. I see more conical geometry in my future!

Adrian,

Great stuff as always! The substance of kit and especially a partial lack of substance is a big challenge!  Your work is impressing.

The cowling in Albacore was indeed very conical, what is not well reproduced on many drawings, For instance here is a photo

https://t1.thpservices.com/previewimage/gallil/4ce47d9084f2bd7f880be0ae0cdc9bac/mev-10840197.jpg

and here drawings

http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/3vues/fairey_albacore_3v.jpg

Perhaps those are more accurate

http://www.inkworm.co.uk/images/illustrations/Plans/A4-Fairey-Albacore.jpg

Regards

J-W

• Thanks 1

On 28/02/2022 at 22:59, The Spadgent said:

And you just knocked up another side

It wasn’t too bad, it’s a simple shape with only the undercarriage fairing deviating from a roundish tube. Honest.

15 hours ago, JWM said:

The cowling in Albacore was indeed very conical

I don’t know what it is about Taurus cowlings that makes it so hard for people to get it right. The first drawing is waaaay off, the second one is more like the real thing and indeed the kit. After measuring my cowling I have convinced myself that it would (just!) be possible to shoehorn in a 46.5” diameter engine, so I’m going to use it without modification. Well, apart from drastically thinning the rear edges, replacing most of the exhaust and getting a rotating propeller on, but nothing serious :)

And tonight I’ve sanded down all the filler I added for dings, fairing in the legs and filling false panel lines on the wings, and given it a primer coat ready to scribe the right side to match the left and to paint on the wing ribs:

37-A97650-3-EFF-404-C-9-DB3-0-F99-F8-AD2

[edit] Actually, just after I wrote this I pulled up a picture of the real thing and measured the cowling as a proportion of the body and compared it to the kit parts. The kit part is around 3mm too short, so I will be exercising my conical geometry to add that to the cowling. More work but I feel happier with that.

• Like 14

What a great project, I'll follow along to watch you rescue a kit that most of us would have resigned to the bin!

Stay safe             Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

most of us would have resigned to the bin!

Just goes to show that most of you are smarter than me… 

Aaaaanyhow… fabric wings. I dug out the Edding paint pen, remembered why it didn’t work for me and resorted back to Solartrim:

51-EF32-D4-B465-4-CE3-A15-B-B74-EDA5-A6-

• Like 12

Yep, Solartrim:

CDA68198-B18-C-4-B52-B17-B-D7179230-A534

There’s another two or three coats of brush paint before it’s done so the rib effect will be toned down a bit more.

[EDIT] I have assumed that the flaps were metal-covered...

• Like 16

Lovely work Adrian - once again I'm glad to be working with the OOB SH offering, whatever its foibles. Pleased to see the 'fabric whisperer' at work again (did that sound a bit wrong?)

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Adrian - once again I'm glad to be working with the OOB SH offering, whatever its foibles

Thanks Roger! I might have to drag out the MPM 1/72 kit just to compare the parts for general amusement...

20 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Solatrim

Sticky back plastic, for those of you who used to watch Blue Peter back in the 1960s and 70s.

It's a model aeroplane covering material, and comes on a roll with backing paper. You cut out a piece, remove the backing paper and apply to the surface you want to cover. "Proper" users would use it to cover and seal balsa or foam flying surfaces and fuselages. I generally cut off 0.5mm strips with a scalpel and ruler and use it for ribbing, as above. Under a few coats of primer/paint it looks quite subtle.

Here's one I made earlier...

Old_Airfix_Gladiator_Under_zps3a656c1b.j

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

It’s very similar in concept but a lot easier to work with. I’m not sure I’d want to try to stick a length of sellotape on my cutting mat, cut 1/2mm strips and get them off in one piece. It’s more akin to masking tape or decal film.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

It’s very similar in concept but a lot easier to work with. I’m not sure I’d want to try to stick a length of sellotape on my cutting mat, cut 1/2mm strips and get them off in one piece. It’s more akin to masking tape or decal film.

Regards,

Adrian

I was actually thinking of cutting it on an old ceramic tile which is what I use when cutting etch or painted masking tape that I use for seat belts.

Gondor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AdrianMF said:

That would work. Hard on the blade though!

Blades are replaceable when they dull, then they can be used to put filler in awkward places.

Gondor

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, woke up, couldn’t sleep, got up for an hour, stuck on around 80 more Solartrim strips for the ribs and gave them a coat of Revell acrylic light grey:

FC4-EDA11-0-FE5-41-F8-9671-556-BE44-E9-E

Tired now, going back to bed..

Looking good Adrian - coming together nicely!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, woke up, couldn’t sleep, got up for an hour, stuck on around 80 more Solartrim strips for the ribs and gave them a coat of Revell acrylic light grey:

Did the outriggers on one of my Zeppelins in the wee small hours today for the very same reason. Might as welluse the time productively.

Martian 👽

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Well a short break, a bout of COVID and my first working trip back to the USA for two years has slowed progress, but I’m back now and disturbed sleep patterns gave me a couple of hours at the bench before work. I remembered that the top wings have slats, so I trimmed off some ribs and applied Solartrim to make the slats themselves, and I’ve scribed the scratch half of the fuselage to match the other:

F1-E9-B2-D3-0-F98-4-A25-B016-54-E610-FBE
The fuselage scribing is over a splattered mix of Milliput, P38, regular filler, balsa, fingernail clippings and plastic and is consequently ropier than a box full of tangled sisal, but it will do after some paint and a bit of remedial filling.

Next step, off to look at @Dunny’s excellent build to copy some internal details!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1