Tamiya 1/48 Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.G Early Version

Here's my fifth completion of the year, the Tamiya Sturmgeschütz III Ausf.G Early Version. The kit went together well as you would expect, but the version I built should have the armoured skirt shields fitted - there are a couple of reasons why they are not present: I messed up the camouflage pattern on them (more on that to follow), and I would have lived with that, but when I got to the last stage - the fitment of said skirts - I found that I had obviously fitted the tow cables and one of the pioneer tools incorrectly as they fouled the attachment points for the shields. So I left them off, sorry. I found the link-and-length tracks easy enough to use, but I did need to use the 'extra' link on each side to get the tracks to join. I added the aerial antenna from 0.1mm Albion Alloys Nickel Silver rod.

The option provided was apparently in action at Kursk, so I tried to mix up a representation of the early Dunkelgelb using Colourcoats 

ARIT06 - Italian Giallo Sabbia Scuro (Dark Sand Yellow) with a bit of ARJ01 - Imperial Japanese Army Khaki added - given that I was trying to mix based on a laptop image I would be very surprised if I came closer than "well if you squint, in the twilight"... the disruptive pattern was ARG04 - Schokoladebraun, if the Tamiya diagrams are anything to go by it should be more thinly-lined and a more complex pattern, but I couldn't follow it or paint the lines that thin, so had to settle for what we might euphemistically term 'a representative impression'. The tracks were painted in Colourcoats C09 - Track Colour which was given a wash of Citadel Agrax Earthshade and the treads highlighted with an AK Interactive 'Gun metal' weathering pencil.

Although it didn't turn out quite as I'd planned I'm happy enough with it as there wasn't a huge amount of time and effort invested in the kit. Anyway here she is:

DSCN2644.jpg

DSCN2646.jpg

DSCN2648.jpg

DSCN2652.jpg

DSCN2655.jpg

DSCN2657.jpg

DSCN2658.jpg

DSCN2661.jpg

Thanks for your attention,

Cheers, 

Stew

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Great tidy build. It is annoying when one realises that you have made a boob and parts don’t fit. However leaving the skirts off, has allowed you to display the lovely finish on the tracks. Cheers Neil

• Thanks 1