Airfix 1/48 Hawker Hunter

DonH

What do you do when you finish one Hunter? Start another, of course. 

Moving down in scale (or is that up?) this time with this...

tF8koOo.jpg

So, first thing to say is this is a lovely kit, goes together well if you are careful and some nice levels of detail. The usual "Airfix, why did you do that?" bits, but I guess we are used to that and I go into this build with my eyes open and a song in my heart.

Cockpit went together quickly, with plenty of black paint and a tickle with a dry brush.

JUXvVf6.jpg

lxXDjlF.jpg

The cylinder with the Tamiya tape wrapped round it is the weight to keep it on its nose. I used the spare FGA9 tail-pipe and you would think it was made for this. It fits like a glove, including keying into the cut out notch in the fuselage.

LazZxRy.jpg

L7re9T4.jpg

I followed some good advice on this forum and stuck the tailpipe parts to each half before joining the fuselage. This works well. Still ned some filler but it creates a very nice joint with the fuselage without any steps.

92mqhVa.jpg

Finally, for today, I thought I would tackle the pylons. Again, great advice on this forum, I decided the pylons were roughly 1mm to short, if you account for the "foot" that is moulded on the actual drop tank. It's close enough for me. So, I got a bit of 1mm plastic strip and glued it to the top of each pylon. Once the glue was dry, I sanded the edges to match the pylon. This retains the shape of the wing and allows a nice fit to the wing without offensive gaps. Good enough for me, others may differ. There's just enough of the locating pins sticking up to locate on the wing, so I am a happy bunny.

UyAKqty.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Cheers Don

• Like 9

• 4 months later...
On 6/29/2022 at 10:52 PM, TeaWeasel said:

Looks good though, which scheme you going for? The chequered tail looks pretty eye-catching. 

I am doing a 74 squadron aircraft with white tail and wingtips. Taken from an Xtradecal sheet. The markings won’t be totally accurate but I don’t care.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I have been slowly getting on with this build while forgetting to take photos. Here is the latest.

Technically, it is still WIP because I still have to paint the gun ports (although I am now thinking that is not necessary).

qRLXQCd.jpg

PDSjxFC.jpg

qg9LKzd.jpg

The serials and codes are fictional for a 74 sqn Hunter. This was forced on me by a decal mishap, but it really doesn't bother me. The white wing tips and tail are representative of a 74 sqn bird taking part in Exercise Vigilant in May 1957. Probably should have been and F.4 not a F.6, but I am past caring.

• Like 7

A very nice build.

Now you are getting me itching to get this Hunter. It’s always after reading post here in BM that ended with me buying the kit.

I have wanted to build a Hunter with RSAF livery.

Roadblocks that I need to get over for this Hunter would be The Wife and RSAF decals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cklasse said:

A very nice build.

Now you are getting me itching to get this Hunter. It’s always after reading post here in BM that ended with me buying the kit.

I have wanted to build a Hunter with RSAF livery.

Roadblocks that I need to get over for this Hunter would be The Wife and RSAF decals.

My next Hunter build (to be started at an unspecified time) will be the 1/32 Revell kit in RSAF markings. I have the decals but I don't know of any sources in 1/48. At least we have a great reference at the RSAF museum!

15 hours ago, Gondor44 said:

Might be an idea to paint the gun ports as the thickness of the metal there would be different.

Looks good as it is though. I have one I intend to do as an FGA.9

Gondor

Yes, my original plan was to paint the gun ports but then saw this photo and thought "nah, enough is enough"

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoSillySuffix/comments/4kymvj/history_senior_aircraftwoman_una_taylor_a/

37 minutes ago, DonH said:

My next Hunter build (to be started at an unspecified time) will be the 1/32 Revell kit in RSAF markings. I have the decals but I don't know of any sources in 1/48. At least we have a great reference at the RSAF museum!

Mmmm…..now you get me thinking of a 1/32 scale too. I took lots of pictures of the Hunter when I was at the museum 2 weeks ago. 
I have a 1/32 F5E with RSAF livery waiting to build. A 1/32 Hunter would be a nice comparison to the F5.

• Like 1