Need help with color specs for a 1950s Tiger Moth

Seawinder

My friend is having a 1:1 Tiger Moth restored and wants to have it painted in its original colors. He sent me the following paint spec chart and asked for RAL equivalents for the yellow and the roundel blue. I've given him information on those colors based on the BS381C listing, but I can't find any references anywhere to a 33B set of standards. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Many thanks, Pip

spacer.png

Pip,

The 33B reference isn't a paint reference in the same way that RAL, FS or BS381c are. It is a stores reference, or a catalogue order number if you like, that enables the correctly coloured and sized tin of paint to be ordered. Someone somewhere may have the 33B listing that reveals what size of tin and, more importantly, what shade of paint is in it when cross referenced to the AM Stores Ref listed on your paint diagram.

Mark.

@Seawinder your friend needs to understand that RAL and FS595 colours will, at best, be a close approximation to, but not exact matches for, BS381C colours. Perhaps contact with one of the UK-based aircraft restoration companies might produce contact information on paint manufacturers who can provide correct BS381C-matched pants.

4 hours ago, stever219 said:

@Seawinder your friend needs to understand that RAL and FS595 colours will, at best, be a close approximation to, but not exact matches for, BS381C colours. Perhaps contact with one of the UK-based aircraft restoration companies might produce contact information on paint manufacturers who can provide correct BS381C-matched pants.

Yes, my friend and I do understand that. The craftsman who will be painting the plane asked for RAL references presumably because that's how he purchases his paints. The thought of BS381C-matched pants is intriguing.  😉

Even paints matched to BS381 may not be correct!

The colours used in those years were matched to Ministry of Supply specifications, it was only at some point in the '60s that many of them were incorporated in BS381C.  Many, not all...

Bright Blue was incorporated as 110 Roundel Blue, Bright Red and Yellow were not, as there were existing colours in that standard that were considered similar enough not to warrant the addition of two new colours.

According to Lucas, the red was almost identica to 538 while there's no direct match for the yellow in BS381C,  although clearly 356 was considered close enough to replace the previous MoS colour

Edited by Giorgio N
  • Thanks 1

Just a fill in for information,  the chart gives two options for the stores references for the colours such as 33B/896 or 663 The reason for the options would be that you could order the paint in appropriate quantities for your requirements, you would obviously need more paint to cover a Shackleton than a Tiger Moth!  So  number 33B/896 would probably been a one gallon can of yellow paint,  33B/663 would be a five gallon can of yellow paint. If you were at say a MU you might be repainting lots of Tiger Moths so you order the larger quantity.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try Classic Wings at Duxford they operate DH Tiger Moths. There is also the DH Aircraft Support facility on the North Side,I dont have their contact details.

Any decent automotive paint supplier should be able to mix to BS381C.

I used PPG Refinish Distribution in Chelmsford for my Cub.

Cellulose sticks well to a doped fabric.

I know BS381C is not right for an L-4, but Olive Green and Dark Weatherwork Grey look close enough to me.