Why? Mk.2. Requiring answers.

Bullbasket

18 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Bald & bankrupt us excellent, so is itchy boots if you like travel. So much more informative than mainstream stuff

Thanks! I'll give that a look. It just struck me watching Bald and Bankrupt that here was one guy and a camera making far more entertaining, educational and watchable viewing than the mainstream tv companies. I also love how he effortlessly interacts with the locals he meets on his travels.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Now, we can't seem to get a reception with an ordinary tv aerial here for some reason

When was the last time you used this aerial ? Was it before the original Analogue turn off and on to Digital in October 2012 ? They haven't worked since then .

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Oh , go on 

Oh alright.  🙂

Having to charge over 75's due to falling revenues (despite previous promises not to)

'Independent experts' later exposed as political activists

The only broadcaster with an organisation dedicated to it's defunding  https://www.defundbbc.uk/defund-the-bbc-in-5-steps/

Enough yet?

2 hours ago, bzn20 said:

When was the last time you used this aerial ? Was it before the original Analogue turn off and on to Digital in October 2012 ? They haven't worked since then .

Not me squire but I don't watch tv either. Load of tosh.

7 hours ago, Dogtail2 said:

Oh alright.  🙂

Having to charge over 75's due to falling revenues (despite previous promises not to)

'Independent experts' later exposed as political activists

The only broadcaster with an organisation dedicated to it's defunding  https://www.defundbbc.uk/defund-the-bbc-in-5-steps/

Enough yet?

Yep . That was 3 lines too many . As D S Reagan used to say on The Sweeny  ...Shut it !  :bobby:

Edited by bzn20
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Good question! We tried setting an aerial up when we bought the place in 2010. Couldn't get it to work despite the help of the father in law who's usually a whizz with these things. Decided then to get a Sky box in to get around the reception problems by having a dish nailed to the outside of the house. It's ironic really. Being a new build back then, the council advised us that we weren't allowed to put a tv aerial on the roof (had to go in the loft), yet it was perfectly ok to stick an ugly great satellite dish on the side of the house. Didn't make sense to me really.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dogtail2 said:

My first questions in those cases : whodunnit and who stands to profit off of it?

We have a similar public broadcast arrangement (although the license fee/tax is now incorporated in the general tax).

We also have similar defunding activistic parties - but the Venn diagram of those & certain political movements are something to behold.

Antivax, professional recalcitrants, populists and editor in chief of a national newsrag* included. 

*banned for a short time after WW2 for proven nazi sympathies

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

We also have similar defunding activistic parties - but the Venn diagram of those & certain political movements are something to behold.

Antivax, professional recalcitrants, populists and editor in chief of a national newsrag* included. 

Very similar here.  Enough said.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Very similar here.  Enough said.

No, that's not so, there's plenty more to be said.  However, my purpose isn't to discuss the merits of defunding the BBC, but to point out that there is a very powerful antidote and that's GB News, channel 236.  I won't pretend it will be to everyone's tastes, but if you want something that isn't the same old, same old, then that's where to go.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, 3DStewart said:

No, that's not so, there's plenty more to be said.  However, my purpose isn't to discuss the merits of defunding the BBC, but to point out that there is a very powerful antidote and that's GB News, channel 236.  I won't pretend it will be to everyone's tastes, but if you want something that isn't the same old, same old, then that's where to go.

I was hoping to avoid this heading into the gutter.  We are always being told that political comments aren't allowed on this site.  However it seems that right-wing ranting is, especially from the standard anti-everything brigade against the BBC, the Post office, anything nationalised, any taxes, Health and Safety, political correctness, "woke", COVID measures to preserve public health, gays, lesbians, trans, coloureds, Europeans, teachers, social workers, unions, long hair.... GIVE US A BREAK!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

gays, lesbians, trans, coloureds, Europeans

Is that's true ? Have they said that  ? They really would be in trouble ... BBC and C4 are  Woke / Left wing , its as bad as being Right Wing . Woke can take a hike   , idiots  get offended for other people's Shoulder chips and no back bone  . Did you really say  Gutter ?

Funny, how perceptions differ , I've seen the Beeb described as decidedly-not-left as well. Seems to me they're probably somewhere in the middle then if they're catching flak from both sides :D

• Like 1

OK.  Thread over after that rapid descent into politics, gender issues and general rudeness.  Please don't start another, as that will go the same way, and it's nothing more than a re-badged grump thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Mike locked this topic