Why? Mk.2. Requiring answers.

Bullbasket

Not to be confused with Mike's @bootneck  thread. His questions are rhetorical. This one is for possible answers, such as why does the BBC bother advertising what is available on BBC3 on the Breakfast News? It's aimed at the yoof of today, and everyone knows that they won't be out of bed for at least another 4 hours!!

John.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• Bullbasket changed the title to Why? Mk.2. Requiring answers.
4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

This one is for possible answers, such as why does the BBC bother advertising what is available on BBC3 on the Breakfast News? It's aimed at the yoof of today, and everyone knows that they won't be out of bed for at least another 4 hours!!

John.

Does anyone still watch BBC, especially BBC 'news' ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Why are there adverts on some TV shows on Sky which are ONLY available for download?

Surely everyone just fast forwards through the adverts renderring them utterly pointless. 

Edited by -Ian-
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Dogtail2 said:

Does anyone still watch BBC, especially BBC 'news' ?

At least it's preferable to the celebrity ridden program on ITV. For ll of it's fault (and there are many), it's still better than the rest.

• Like 2

Can't watch BBC anymore . Don't watch their version of the news and their opinions spreading in to the programme . All the channels are same though . Why does a reporter have to stand in Paddington Station and tell us there are delays with Train services . Could have done that from home or studio .No,they  take a few taxis , waste money .

Give us 23.9 hours a day on Green issues ...Have you seen how many desktops are switched on with nobody there behind the on duty news waffler at 2 am on the news room floor ? .. News channels telling us stay at home weather red warnings , not safe...Hold it ..

Breaking news  flash  ......

Our man Bob Waffle is on the end of Dover Pier .. How is the weather there Bob ? Bob is stood in his free Berghaus Jacket , advertising .. Bob can't hear a thing ,weather is ****** awful ..meanwhile BBC Wales' Journo  Yanto at Mumbles  near Swansea in his free North Face Jacket advertising and is being washed by a 6 foot wave of Bristol Channel salt water over the sea wall ... Leave the car  at home it's not safe...Get a taxi ! We'll pay 

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

At least it's preferable to the celebrity ridden program on ITV. For ll of it's fault (and there are many), it's still better than the rest.

This is the first year for a looooong time i haven't had a good moan about the licence,Olympics/Six Nations/Commonwealth Games and the World Cup....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

I don't watch any of them.  Cancelled my TV licence a couple of years ago, and never looked back.

9 hours ago, Dogtail2 said:

I don't watch any of them.  Cancelled my TV licence a couple of years ago, and never looked back.

So, if you've not seen any of them for a couple of years, how can you tell if they're good, bad or indifferent?

I've noticed that most people seem to take issue with just the BBC's news, and rarely complain about other news providers. If I moan about the BBC's content, it's because I see a lot of it. Now and again I will turn over to ITV to watch their "chat show", but it appears to be dominated by celebrity stories, and discussed by a panel of sometimes five people. I can't comment on most of the others because I don't watch them. For me, the best program to watch is the Beeb's 1 o'clock news. At least there is only the one presenter.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's very rare that i watch anything on the beeb with FreeSat there's enough docu's ect to watch and i can also understand why people keep complaining about the switching channels which interupts programmes that people like to watch....It's not exactly rocket science when they have bbc's 3 + 4 which don't start until 7pm to use those channels for live sport instead of faffing around switching between different ones all the time...

(i would have used 'common sense' instead of rocket science but it doesn't seem to exist anymore)...

• Like 2

I stopped habitually watching BBC News a few years ago (I still watch if there are individual events I want to catch up on). I found that far from being unbiased the BBC News was becoming more polarised and that the 6pm "National and International" news was aimed at BBC England and Shires dominated by English regional news rather than "National" news (for example if I had a £5 for every time the 6pm news stated that x and y was happening "in the NHS" when they actually meant "NHS England" I would be a very happy lad). If there was a report on political events in Scotland it amazed me that more often than not the 6pm News would put one slant on the story and 30 minutes later BBC Scotland's Reporting Scotland would have a different reporter who would put a completely different slant on the same story making me wonder who was trying to fleece who?

The problem with modern TV News reporting (as far as I can see ) is that it seems to be verging on "entertainment" with scandal, drama and hype as opposed to being plain facts reported for information sake.

Duncan B

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

It's very rare that i watch anything on the beeb with FreeSat there's enough docu's ect to watch and i can also understand why people keep complaining about the switching channels which interupts programmes that people like to watch....It's not exactly rocket science when they have bbc's 3 + 4 which don't start until 7pm to use those channels for live sport instead of faffing around switching between different ones all the time...

(i would have used 'common sense' instead of rocket science but it doesn't seem to exist anymore)...

I couldn't agree with you more Vince. Why on earth they brought BBC3 programs back from being an online service, to being mainstream, I have no idea. In all honesty (and it is my opinion) it's full of juvenile tripe. Do I really want to see men dressed up as women? Not when I've just eaten I don't. But I've long held the view that BBC 3 could be used as a sports channel. That way we wouldn't have the Olympics, both summer and winter, the football world cup and the European version, the bowls tournament et al, interrupting the usual programs that old farts like me like to watch. I miss Eggheads, even if they are repeats.

John.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

So, if you've not seen any of them for a couple of years, how can you tell if they're good, bad or indifferent?

John.

34 minutes ago, Dogtail2 said:

You can't be serious.

15 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Perfectly.

Falling viewership numbers

Celeb presenters having to take salary haircuts

Parliamentary hearings on the future of the BBC and C4 with regard to plummeting licence fee receipts

Statements by politicians

Clips of BBC fails all over social media

I could go on, but won't.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

I couldn't agree with you more Vince. Why on earth they brought BBC3 programs back from being an online service, to being mainstream, I have no idea. In all honesty (and it is my opinion) it's full of juvenile tripe. Do I really want to see men dressed up as women? Not when I've just eaten I don't. But I've long held the view that BBC 3 could be used as a sports channel.

John.

I've thought for a long time that bbc 3 or 4 could be put at 307 after Talking Pic's and used as a film channel....

• Like 1

I must admit I don't watch BBC live anymore - but I seldom watch anything live. However I do use iPlayer a lot. The BBC does still produce top class programs, - coming soon, next Killing Eve and Peaky Blinders series - but a lot of dross as well. But is it worse than any other station? I doubt it. All programming is a reflection of the target audience and in this dumbed down, social media and reality TV obsessed world what do you expect?

As to the news - again I don't think BBC is worse than any others. I tend to watch a mix.

As to the licence fee - well I'm happy to pay it. To be honest I'd pay it for BBC radio alone. If forced to choose, I'd stop paying Netflix and Tidal subscriptions before dropping BBC

Cheers

Colin

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, ckw said:

All programming is a reflection of the target audience and in this dumbed down, social media and reality TV obsessed world what do you expect?

I think that you've hit the proverbial nail on the head there. Saturday night's schedule is a joke. ITV starts late afternoon with quizzes, game shows and goes right through to late evening, finishing with those two cheeky Geordie chappies, who should have been strangled at birth! BBC isn't much better. That show with the muppet out of Eastenders with the OTT Cockney accent really gets up my nose. But at least it gives me a chance to catch up on all of the programs which I've recorded during the week.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I gave up on all terrestrial tv (and i player) years ago. Now, the only reason that happened is because we gave up on our Sky box. Initially, they lured us in with a good package, then gradually took everything away until about the only viewing choices we had was the 1000th rerun of Bargain Hunt or Storage Hunters. So we ditched them. Now, we can't seem to get a reception with an ordinary tv aerial here for some reason, so we went without terrestrial TV. We soon realised here in fightersweep mansions, that we weren't missing it at all. Nothing. There wasn't anything that we craved or missed. 

To be honest, I had gotten tired of all "reality" tv, biased news reporting and that's without all the constant virtue signalling. 

All my viewing is on Youtube now. I can happily sit for hours and watch anything from old episodes of Top of the Pops (when it was good), endless footage from WW2 I haven't seen before, somebody's rare cine footage of the S&D railway filmed in 632 BC, or some guy reviewing a model kit or teaching me dot filter techniques. So much niche stuff on there for the discerning anorak. Or there's the endless great content from some very talented individuals with my current favourites being Bald and Bankrupt and his travels around the former Soviet Union or Victorialucas38 with their endless spoofing of 1970s television. It's hilarious. I really don't need terrestrial tv anymore

Edit: Mrs Fightersweep did sign up for Netflix. I can't get on with it though as it reminds me of an old video rental shop where the only choice you had was all the stuff no one else wanted to rent.

Just my take of course.

Steve

• Like 3

About 80% of our television viewing is BBC: I don't object to paying the licence fee for what I get but I do object to having to pay for the grot broadcast elsewhere, through the universal tax called advertising.  I would recommend a law that anyone showing a TV licence was automatically refunded a portion of the cost of their purchase.  This cost could be arranged as as proportionate to the TV advertising budget of the product, but should never fall below 1% of the amount charged.  This would be fairer on the purchaser of the licence, would make it clear to others that they are paying for all this "Free TV" via advertising, and may serve to reduce this modern scourge or even reduce the tax burden on us all.

42 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

I would recommend a law that anyone showing a TV licence was automatically refunded a portion of the cost of their purchase. This cost could be arranged as as proportionate to the TV advertising budget of the product, but should never fall below 1% of the amount charged.

Good luck with that. 

Those crooks still owe me the 4 months remaining on my licence when I cancelled 2 years ago. Not worth my time, energy or money pursuing it further.

20 hours ago, fightersweep said:

I gave up on all terrestrial tv (and i player) years ago. Now, the only reason that happened is because we gave up on our Sky box. Initially, they lured us in with a good package, then gradually took everything away until about the only viewing choices we had was the 1000th rerun of Bargain Hunt or Storage Hunters. So we ditched them. Now, we can't seem to get a reception with an ordinary tv aerial here for some reason, so we went without terrestrial TV. We soon realised here in fightersweep mansions, that we weren't missing it at all. Nothing. There wasn't anything that we craved or missed. 

To be honest, I had gotten tired of all "reality" tv, biased news reporting and that's without all the constant virtue signalling. 

All my viewing is on Youtube now. I can happily sit for hours and watch anything from old episodes of Top of the Pops (when it was good), endless footage from WW2 I haven't seen before, somebody's rare cine footage of the S&D railway filmed in 632 BC, or some guy reviewing a model kit or teaching me dot filter techniques. So much niche stuff on there for the discerning anorak. Or there's the endless great content from some very talented individuals with my current favourites being Bald and Bankrupt and his travels around the former Soviet Union or Victorialucas38 with their endless spoofing of 1970s television. It's hilarious. I really don't need terrestrial tv anymore

Edit: Mrs Fightersweep did sign up for Netflix. I can't get on with it though as it reminds me of an old video rental shop where the only choice you had was all the stuff no one else wanted to rent.

Just my take of course.

Steve

Bald & bankrupt us excellent, so is itchy boots if you like travel. So much more informative than mainstream stuff

• Like 1