Blackbird in its Barn

Finally time to post my RFI of my Blackbird build completed and in its Barn.  I toyed with Sled Shed and Habu Hut but settled on Blackbird Barn!

kOgxvat.jpg

a6J93BQ.jpg

DPsvYys.jpg

kIRP95X.jpg

Q6VdjCb.jpg

it’s the old Italeri kit that I picked up before the Revell one came out.  Not as detailed but I added lights and wanted the diorama more than the stand alone jet.  Thanks to many, including @Alan P, @Serkan Sen, @billn53 and many others who have supported along the way.  The shed and start cart, step and other bits are scratch built

xNmUxgm.jpg

Ieq0BXv.jpg

She is finished as 64-17974 in the late black and red scheme of the mid 80s at Det 4.  Ichi Ban herself, as displayed at the Mildenhall Airfete in 84, when I was there watching.  Decals are from the Caracal set.

1033474-large.jpg

Even got a pilots autograph!

nOOS3Ww.jpg
So all done now - thanks for looking

OoAZtvl.jpg

The build can be found at

And the Shed build

• Like 54
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, billn53 said:

Really, really nice. The Blackbird, the barn, everything. And, the lighting (Sled and barn) makes it extra special. :clap:

Cheers!  Would have liked some natural outdoor lighting, but I think things would have taken flight today!

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Absolutely fantastic! Who doesn't love an SR-71?

Definitely!  Ever since I first saw one about 1982

59 minutes ago, Serkan Sen said:

At first glance I thought this is a real aircraft with all these lights, hangar, ground equipments and figures. Absolutely stunning work with a great modelling skill!..

Serkan

Cheers Serkan.  Nowhere near as detailed or accurate as yours though.  But definitely looks the part in the setting

1 hour ago, SAT69 said:

Excellent!

Cheers!

40 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Bar side as I've said before the only thing missing from this is a green puff of TEB and the sound of big engines spooling up.:goodjob:

Thanks Loren.  I don’t have a pilot in a space suit so it’s pre start up.  Guess they are still in the step van!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Holy crap, that really looks amazing. There's very little to give it away as a model 😮

So many great details, it's an excellent job 👏👏👏

PS. I'd have gone with Sled Shed 😂

That's very well done. Top marks for the subdued lighting. The wet, black perspex number has Pirelli calendar written all over it; Siera Echo X-ray Yankee! Perhaps the only thing missing is a large discoloured patch on the barn floor caused by leaking fuel (I've read they leaked profusely).

1 hour ago, Maginot said:

That's very well done. Top marks for the subdued lighting. The wet, black perspex number has Pirelli calendar written all over it; Siera Echo X-ray Yankee! Perhaps the only thing missing is a large discoloured patch on the barn floor caused by leaking fuel (I've read they leaked profusely).

Knew I had forgotten something - drip trays! Thanks for the nice comment!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Absolutely superb! What a cracking diorama and huge Habu! Love that, a little slice of Mildenhall memories, marvellous.

Yes I am sure that at the late 70s / early 80s shows you could see the building work on what would become the sheds going on at the far side of the field!  If you see a Blackbird in a murky sky or on a wet runway with dark clouds it Mildenhall 

7 minutes ago, Pete in a shed said:

Excellent. The hangar and the GE really brings evrything to life.:like:

Pete

Cheers Pete - you can’t even see the spare nose on a trolley at the back!

On 2/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Alan P said:

Holy crap, that really looks amazing. There's very little to give it away as a model 😮

So many great details, it's an excellent job 👏👏👏

PS. I'd have gone with Sled Shed 😂

I did think Shed was appropriate for Mildenhall.  Habu Hut for Kadena.  As to the drip trays - I was rushing as usual & trying to get it set up in the kitchen & away before my wife got home!

• Haha 2