V 2 rocket captured by British

Whofan

I picked up  the Revell 1/72 V-2 rocket yesterday on impulse, as I already have the (Tamiy 1/48th) V-1 to go with it.

Of the 4 schemes in the box, I'm most likely to do it in the black/white prototype scheme, but I wondered f anyone knew of any decals or paint schemes for a V-2 captured by the British, just to add another bout of deciding on colour schemes?

I've done a Hannants and a google search but come up with nothing. 

Edited by Whofan

• Whofan changed the title to V 2 rocket captured by British

Actually, the British did organize several launches, using German technicians, after the war from a Grrman coastal location.  So there should be a legit scheme out there.  Interesting fact - on one of the tests, representatives from the US, France and the Sovier Union were invited.  One of the Soviet observers was Sergei Korolev....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I'm only guessing here but as the thing was only going to be studied & NEVER going to be launched (unlike the captured V1s) what was the point in repainting it at all?:shrug: 

@Graham T,

it's a valid point, but I wondered if perhaps had any been captured by the Pbritish, they might - for example - have had the yellow P and maybe a serial number.

I have seen a photo of one used by the Americans where it was painted in the black/white quartering, but someone had stencilled USAF, White Sands, on it, which was the basis of my query - did we have one and do something similar?

39 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

There is one in the Science Museum in London. I've no idea what it scheme represents but maybe a possibility. :unsure:

Steve.

Thanks @stevehnz , a distinct possibility, had a quick look on their website, nothing found yet.

http://www.v2rocket.com/ - should provide you with most - if not all - of the info you are after.

I think it unlikely that the British would have bothered repainting what was essentially a 'one shot', un-recoverable weapon with anything more than perhaps an 'Air Min' code or similar.  A full repaint would be largely pointless.  Even captured aircraft initially just had their crosses and tactical codes painted over, but nothing more.  As far as I'm aware, V2s were not painted with national markings, etc, so even this would have been unnecessary..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2