Airfix 1/600 Warships + cruise liners

Hi everyone! 

I am a first time poster in this part of the forum, but no I am not lost! I have picked up a selection of mostly 70s Airfix 1/600 ships, mostly in very good to near perfect condition: 

51888105537_0b7b9f5aba_b.jpg 51889155768_78c8634243_b.jpg 51889723520_e3c0ff48ff_b.jpg 51888105522_3c784ec180_b.jpg 51889723550_a26136aac4_b.jpg 51889723540_69a06dd2f8_b.jpg 51888105547_db8ca1079c_b.jpg 51889400229_47cb5da2f4_b.jpg

I intend on selling these (unfortunately I am not one for model ships, aircraft are my thing), but don’t want to get seen off when it comes to price. Alas I have very little knowledge of pricing or rarity of these kits, with some commanding a very wide range of prices on eBay (QE2+Mauretania). 

Would anybody be able to give me an indication of what’s sought after in this lot or whether they are all fairly commonplace?

thanks in advance 

Ash

• Like 1

Gidday Ash, you've got quite a collection there. I don't know how much I can be of help to you as I'm a dinosaur and don't buy on-line so I've no idea what prices to ask. Nearly all my models were bought from local hobby stores here in Perth West Australia a while ago.

The Hood and Ark Royal, and possibly KGV and Warspite are still produced I think so those aren't all that rare. But I've not seen those Liners in the stores so they might be at a premium, not only as models but as collector's items considering the boxes they're in. I'm afraid I don't know much about that side of things either.

If you've seen them for sale yourself then ask the highest price as they're in good condition. If they sell, great. If not then lower the price a bit.

Sorry I'm not much help. Good luck with them. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve no idea on the price but if I were in the same position trying to price them up I would first visit scalemates which would identify the release and date and also whether the model is still in production.

I would also try a ship-focussed forums and the Airfix forum.

I would suspect that if the model is still be produced (in the classics range) then the market is going to be limited to collectors rather than builders, so may take a longer time to sell or have to accept a lower price.  If the model is no longer available then it will command a higher price.

• Thanks 1

The QE2 is the rarest of the bunch and could go for upwards of £30.  Mauretania was in production only a few years ago and retailed at around £20 but I suspect that the plastic in your kits is better quality and with less mould wear, so £25 - £30 might not be unreasonable for yours.  Likewise Victorious and Hood have just reappeared in the Vintage Classics range but yours'll be from newer moulds so may achieve a better price.

• Thanks 1

Good luck with your sales - it's a saturated market except for the real gems like SS France and Canberra. As for the warships, they're good for collectors items but all are available in more recent reissues and won't usually fetch much above £15-20 but you might get lucky! And that's £15 you never had before you sold them, so just go for it, it all adds up 😉👍

I would have said two of the most sought after Airfix warships are Devonshire and Fearless, but they're being re-released this year! Looks like a pre-order price of £15.99 each.

Link

• Thanks 1

Agreed with the comments above that the only really rare one is QE2.  I bought 2 Mauretanias in an Airfix Black Friday sale about 5/6 years ago for £5 each IIRC.

If the packaging is as good as the photos seem to suggest they'll potentially be worth more to a collector for the box than the contents!

• Thanks 1