The Good Old Lady's cruel conversion

thekz

6 minutes ago, El Búho de Sevilla said:

Christ is risen!

Just wonder how you're planning to paint this miniature Swordfish with its upper wing already mounted? Or will it simply be overall silver?

Воистину воскресе!

No. The scheme is camouflage.

f1be6f4d16d5ceadb83dbee817c8629a.jpg

I honestly don't have paint scheme for late 1940, but i have one for 1941 and there are general considerations (you know i painted a little bit of aircraft in 72 scale).
In the case of the Walrus on the Berwick I painted too with the top wing fitted. Technologically it was like this: first light grey (In this case it looks more like a sky. it remains to be seen) with an airbrush, then dark grey and grey-green with a brush.

Camouflage on top of the lower wing is uncomplicated and I had no problem then. As well as gluing the spacers turned out to be easier than it looks - such small lengths don't need to be stretched - you just cut a piece to the right length and glue it on)

• Like 5

That is very impressive work,  you're making me want to detail my Warspite up now, 

Don't worry about posting mid process,  i for one like seeing how people go about achieving the end result so post away in my opinion,  

Edited by S-boat 55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, thekz said:

No. The scheme is camouflage.

I honestly don't have paint scheme for late 1940, but i have one for 1941 and there are general considerations (you know i painted a little bit of aircraft in 72 scale).

According to this document: https://hobbydelux.com/wa-data/public/site/app/RAF-CC090.pdf , it's pretty much possible that - as a biplane - your Swordfish from late 1940 should bear a Shadow Shading camouflage scheme 🤭

• Like 1

Just now, thekz said:

According to this document: https://hobbydelux.com/wa-data/public/site/app/RAF-CC090.pdf , it's pretty much possible that - as a biplane - your Swordfish from late 1940 should bear a Shadow Shading camouflage scheme 🤭

That's why I showed you the picture from 1941, because there shouldn't be much difference between it and late 1940. The variety of RAF paint schemes is from 1939 to the summer of 1940

20 minutes ago, thekz said:

That's why I showed you the picture from 1941, because there shouldn't be much difference between it and late 1940. The variety of RAF paint schemes is from 1939 to the summer of 1940

Yep, probably so. That Gladiator wearing this scheme, which I remember, certainly was from early 1940 (because it was handed down to the Finns during the Winter War). Anyway, you should know RAF and FAA camouflage schemas a lot better than I do...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foeth said:

Very nice work; a small time lapse of the figure carving would be quite informative...?

tl.gif

I don't know if I could satisfy your curiosity. It's difficult to film the actual stringing process because of the shallowness of the subject. And I don't have any experience in shooting video.

Movie Explanation: 
In the first shot, you can see all the tools. In addition to the standard model knife, a homemade one is used from the blade of a metal hacksaw. Its advantages are stiffer blade and sharper end. 
A toothbrush with stiff bristles is also used for sanding
In the last frame after gluing the helmet the whole figure is coated with liquid glue - it smoothes the texture.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, thekz said:

I don't know if I could satisfy your curiosity.

Actually, that's just perfect, and much shorter than a video too. Adding the helmet is also very clear :) Very good to attempt this in 1:350

4 minutes ago, foeth said:

Actually, that's just perfect, and much shorter than a video too. Adding the helmet is also very clear :) Very good to attempt this in 1:350

Try it. It's easier than it looks. The main thing is not to try to cut out the whole team in a week. I don't do more than one figure a day, alternating this work with something else entirely - like sanding seams:wall:

• Like 4

For my next model I'm toying with the idea of having the entire crew of USS McDougal and HMS Prince of Wales on the latter's quarterdeck.... I wonder how much cutting that involves... perhaps add a bit of casting... and heavy drinking.... This is a really good idea to avoid the 3D printer... 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, foeth said:

For my next model I'm toying with the idea of having the entire crew of USS McDougal and HMS Prince of Wales on the latter's quarterdeck.... I wonder how much cutting that involves... perhaps add a bit of casting... and heavy drinking.... This is a really good idea to avoid the 3D printer... 👍

if you cut two a day (and with simple poses it's not hard), it would only take 100 days for the 180-man USS McDougal. 
Of course the 1,400-man HMS Prince of Wales would require 700 days, so the daily rate might have to be increased.
But in my opinion even the second task can be done soberly. I'm not against heavy drinking (what else to expect from the Russian!), but on more pleasant occasions.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

meanwhile4.jpg

Pff, not easy and don't say; don't worry, after about two or three hundred you get it right. :D (at 6mm this guy is way too tall). Not sure if I'm going to pursue this route though... once down the rabbit hole... But it is doable, indeed, and thank you for showing that!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, foeth said:

meanwhile4.jpg

Pff, not easy and don't say; don't worry, after about two or three hundred you get it right. :D (at 6mm this guy is way too tall). Not sure if I'm going to pursue this route though... once down the rabbit hole... But it is doable, indeed, and thank you for showing that!

I like your result! Definitely better than my first experiments. Tweaking the scope to get 5 mm instead of 6 mm will definitely work for you.

In short, you've definitely earned a small, heavy drink today! You've probably already come to that conclusion yourself))

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is it possible to buy tiny sailors for your Malaya? (I saw Tamiya 1/350 scale sailors in a model shop a couple of years ago). Just wondering if you could save some time, to make aircraft etc. instead. Though your figures are convincing as they stand (or sit) 😏.

2 hours ago, Peter2 said:

Is it possible to buy tiny sailors for your Malaya? (I saw Tamiya 1/350 scale sailors in a model shop a couple of years ago). Just wondering if you could save some time, to make aircraft etc. instead. Though your figures are convincing as they stand (or sit) 😏.

You can probably buy anything. The question is the price)
Tamiya's set is more like blanks for figures than figures. Here's a review on YouTube:

There was also an option from NorthStar - these are much better quality and more expensive. They've been used by a lot of people, like @robgizlu.

If I understand correctly, there are complaints about them in terms of the very brittle material. And the very possibility of ordering them in Ukraine is now a rhetorical question ((
Personally, I use PE figures Edouard. I do not recommend it. They are not believable. 
So the way I have chosen for myself is almost the only one.
I don't aim to save time. In a fast-paced world, it's even fun to do a long-term project:pipe:

• Like 2

Unexpectedly there is new information on camouflage. 
In MATAPAN: The Untold Stories on Armoured Carriers. Unexpectedly there is a Malaya in "my" camouflage. Probably these pictures were taken during the bombardment of Bardiya in August 1940. 

2022-04-29-15-47-52.png

2022-04-29-16-10-14.png

In view of them we can correct the colour scheme for summer 1940:

malaya-color-01.jpg

But there is also this uncool but legible photo provided by @dickrd:

51888741568-b7feaf.jpg

It shows a slightly altered scheme, presumably referring to the autumn.

malaya-color-02.jpg

But no corresponding photo of the starboard side yet((
@dickrd and @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies, what do you think of this?

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, gentlemen.
Hull conversion work is continuing.

IMG-5563.jpg

The deck has almost got its final look - it is still premature to talk about a full fit and some problem areas may take more than a week to be finished, but the general trend is there.

IMG-5564.jpg

IMG-5567.jpg

View from below for connoisseurs) you can see the signs of heavy fighting

IMG-5570.jpg

The centre section of the deck had a separate vandal invasion - it was cut in 4 parts and then re-glued:

IMG-5495.jpg

Work on detailing is progressing. 4" AA guns now in four, two in stowed position and two in firing position:

IMG-5571.jpg

IMG-5572.jpg

Large motor launch will be unhooked:

IMG-5558.jpg

For the "in progress" photos, a cut in half 32ft cutter:

IMG-5554.jpg

We added 20 self-made ratings, but all in simple poses. Let them stay out of the picture for now.

Thanks to all readers and have a nice build!

• Like 15

33 minutes ago, thekz said:

you can see the signs of heavy fighting

Gidday Thekz, that's what she was built for. A great uncle of mine once said "She was built for a stoush!"   (stoush - slang for fight).

I love seeing alterations such as this, and that motor launch is a model in itself.  Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys.
Jesus Christ, it's been a month and we have to write again. What's there to write? The ship's covered in putty and glue. There's no end in sight. Although it is undoubtedly necessary to fix this stage. That's the point of WIP publications.
Here is a photo of epic working mess:

IMG-5625.jpg

As you can see, the biggest changes took place in the hangar area. Even some of the parts from the kit came in handy.

IMG-5636.jpg
Side view of the hangar:

IMG-5633.jpg

And from below:

IMG-5629.jpg

Of the trivia, there's a new boat.

IMG-5641.jpg

This is the one in the second row, near the funnel.

103.jpg

It's very hard to see in the photo what kind of boat it really was. Let it be like this)

IMG-5643.jpg

And these boxes will be 16 pcs.
In reality it took 17 months to build Malaya from conception to launch. I am still on schedule)

have a nice build)

• Like 16

• 4 weeks later...

Absolutely superb.  Haven't caught up with this for a few months and the progress is impressive for the amount of conversion work needed.

Those 4 inch turrets are works of art in their own right as are the boats.  And as for the figures - I am in awe.  I know my limitations - although I know some will say it's cheating I think I will stick to 3D printing mine.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I think I will stick to 3D printing mine.

Thank you for the compliments. You are very kind, sir.
3D printing is definitely a progressive technology. I am a computer designer by profession and have a little knowledge of 3D Max.
It's just that in my city there is no 3D printing from custom files with sufficient quality yet. And I'm not actively looking for it, because when you spend all your work time at the computer, you want to do something by hand.🪚🔨🔧

• Like 4