Qantas Boeing 737-800 BPK 1/72

My latest finished build is the BPK Boeing 737-800.

The build was started last year and dragged a bit due to some issues,which lead me to stop on this kit for a while and concentrate on other projects.

I actually planned to have clear windows,but the clear parts for the cabin windows had a terrible fit,which I could not solve satisfactory.

Another problem were the paint masks for the windows which not only had to be applied for each single window,it took a good 2 hours for both sides,the results after painting were rather disappointing.

I also spent a considerable amount of time on the cockpit,but I thought there was something not quite right with the window sizes.When I was applying the silver window frames from the Authentic Airliner decal sheet,I realized that the frames of the decal did not match with the clear part at all.So in the end I oversprayed the windows and used the AA window decal instead.

The overall fit is good,careful cleaning and preparation of the parts is a must.

Some major issues are in the instructions.

Sometimes its difficult or impossible to make out where some parts have to go or in the worst case,are completely wrong  placed.

Also some parts are not used,at least for the Qantas version,but they are not marked at all so you will have to find out yourself.

Also if one follows the instructions concerning the landing gear,it will be impossible to glue it on its position later.

I found out its best to build up the gear by installing the legs first and then add all other parts .DON'T follow the instructions !!

I also glued the engine mounts to the wing and attach the engines after build and paint.

Its much easier that way.

The rest of the build is more or less straight forward,some PE parts are very delicate,so caution is a good advice.

The fuselage was spray painted with Gunze white surface primer 1500,the red is Revell enamel 31 with a few drops white and the silver-grey stripe around the fuselage bottom is a mix of aluminium and neutral grey.

Wings are painted with Gunze grey 315 and received a matte varnish after the decals and weathering was applied.

The decals come from the kit and have a good quality and are also quite extensive and detailed.

Again here there are some errors in the instructions,so photo research is needed too.

Windows as mentioned from AA.

Some antennas are not included in the kit,thes were taken from a Heller Boeing 707 sprue in my spares.

The Satcom antenna is also not included.I was not able to find such in this scale on the aftermarket,so I will leave this until I found something that matches.

Overall I am happy with the end result,despite its issues its a great kit but absolutely not for beginners.

I also have the BPK 737-100 and -200 but I hope they will be a bit easier and with less errors in the instructions...

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 40
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

My latest finished build is the BPK Boeing 737-800.

The build was started last year and dragged a bit due to some issues,which lead me to stop on this kit for a while and concentrate on other projects.

I actually planned to have clear windows,but the clear parts for the cabin windows had a terrible fit,which I could not solve satisfactory.

Another problem were the paint masks for the windows which not only had to be applied for each single window,it took a good 2 hours for both sides,the results after painting were rather disappointing.

I also spent a considerable amount of time on the cockpit,but I thought there was something not quite right with the window sizes.When I was applying the silver window frames from the Authentic Airliner decal sheet,I realized that the frames of the decal did not match with the clear part at all.So in the end I oversprayed the windows and used the AA window decal instead.

The overall fit is good,careful cleaning and preparation of the parts is a must.

Some major issues are in the instructions.

Sometimes its difficult or impossible to make out where some parts have to go or in the worst case,are completely wrong  placed.

Also some parts are not used,at least for the Qantas version,but they are not marked at all so you will have to find out yourself.

Also if one follows the instructions concerning the landing gear,it will be impossible to glue it on its position later.

I found out its best to build up the gear by installing the legs first and then add all other parts .DON'T follow the instructions !!

I also glued the engine mounts to the wing and attach the engines after build and paint.

Its much easier that way.

The rest of the build is more or less straight forward,some PE parts are very delicate,so caution is a good advice.

The fuselage was spray painted with Gunze white surface primer 1500,the red is Revell enamel 31 with a few drops white and the silver-grey stripe around the fuselage bottom is a mix of aluminium and neutral grey.

Wings are painted with Gunze grey 315 and received a matte varnish after the decals and weathering was applied.

The decals come from the kit and have a good quality and are also quite extensive and detailed.

Again here there are some errors in the instructions,so photo research is needed too.

Windows as mentioned from AA.

Some antennas are not included in the kit,thes were taken from a Heller Boeing 707 sprue in my spares.

The Satcom antenna is also not included.I was not able to find such in this scale on the aftermarket,so I will leave this until I found something that matches.

Overall I am happy with the end result,despite its issues its a great kit but absolutely not for beginners.

I also have the BPK 737-100 and -200 but I hope they will be a bit easier and with less errors in the instructions...

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Absolutely stunning, congrats!

Einar

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Bammmm, now that’s a 737-800👍👍👍

Great build, it looks da part…

cheers, Jan

Thank you very much.

Yes,she's very big,quite a beast in 1/72

Edited by Alex1978

That's a great representation of VX-Mike, Alex and looks just like the real deal to me mate. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the rear fuselage Satcom antenna, as (a) it spoils the overall cleans lines of the 737 and (b) VXM was repainted in these latest colours prior to this bulge being fitted. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

Absolutely brilliant!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have the kit in my stash (my missus was not pleased) and it is good to get some tips from your build experience.

You've set the bar quite high.  Will just give it my best shot, I suppose. 😬

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Looks great to me - I think the decals look better than the windows anyway! I've likely flown in this aircraft recently.

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's a great representation of VX-Mike, Alex and looks just like the real deal to me mate. 

I wouldn't worry too much about the rear fuselage Satcom antenna, as (a) it spoils the overall cleans lines of the 737 and (b) VXM was repainted in these latest colours prior to this bulge being fitted. 

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

6 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Despite the issues you’ve knocked out a stunner.

Superb!

4 hours ago, chrispisme said:

That’s freakin awesome!!

38 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Wow! Well done on an impressive build.

Thank you very much for the nice comments

43 minutes ago, kapam said:

Absolutely brilliant!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

I have the kit in my stash (my missus was not pleased) and it is good to get some tips from your build experience.

You've set the bar quite high.  Will just give it my best shot, I suppose. 😬

Thank you very much.

Luckily my missus has not noticed it yet.As I can hide the kits in my hobbyroom until they are done,the fly " under the radar" so to speak...😊

One thing I forgot to mention; the parts for the main gear doors are off in shape and the instructions as to where the parts go are completely wrong.

I used the parts for the closed option instead,as they are more correct and each door is a single piece, and checked reference photos to make it as accurate as possible.

Anyway,happy modeling this 737,and I look forward seeing it once finished

Excellent work Alex.

BPK's 1/144 kits are very nice and it's interesting to see one of their bigger brothers finished to such a high standard. I don't really have display space for 1/72 airliners otherwise I might be tempted!

Dave G

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent work Alex.

BPK's 1/144 kits are very nice and it's interesting to see one of their bigger brothers finished to such a high standard. I don't really have display space for 1/72 airliners otherwise I might be tempted!

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

Yes,its really big...still figuring where to place her.Might try to hang her under the ceiling

2 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

What boxing of their 737-200 have you got as I have their Canadian North one in the stash as I flew on that back in 2013. 

Thank you very much.

I have the one with the regular Lufthansa and the yellow bird Lufthansa livery