RF-4C 106th TRS Alabama ANG USAF Desert Storm 1/72eme

Hello Happy Phantom Phanatics (and others!)!

Here is my last Phantom from my USAF Phantom saga (for the time being🤔) : the Hasegawa RF-4C. Another Hasegawa classic, well known, built with the same amount of modifications to the base: Complete refurbished cockpit, resin wheel wells 🤬🤬🤬, belly louvres, airbrakes, ailerons, riveting, etc as already mentioned in my previous builds. routine...

What was not routine was stuffing the camera bay accordingly to the version depending on the aircraft mission. To simulate the KY camera lenses, I used the tiny iPhone or mobile phone lenses, that gives a realistic effect, especially when you replace the too thick kit transparencies by thinner windows. 

spacer.png

For the markings and version I chose a Desert Storm warrior from the Alabama ANG, the "Boss Bird", thinking that the Carpena decal sheet will add more value than the Hasegawa one. I will come later on this subject 🤬; The choice was also made based on the good iconographie about that particular aircraft. 

Camouflage pattern is fairly simple, the Hill Grey, but "toned downed" to respect the scale effect. I weathered it quite a bit because of the harsh Middle East conditions.

Decals: I started to use the Carpena sheet 7270 (desert storm part 2) but it turned to be disastrous: most of the decals started to break into small pieces when wet, some markings were not accurate (e.g. white shading of the Code Letters, shark mouth...), so finally I had to use a mix of self-made decals, paints and use some Hasegawa ones which are, unfortunately, too thick (well known default). 

No armament, the configuration is max range with an AN/ALQ 131 ECM pod (aftermarket), as seen on some pix. 

The result is that this beast is not on the top of my F-4 list, but i am too lazy to start another one. maybe one day...🤔

Here are the pix:

The true flying camera:

spacer.pngspacer.png

The fake one: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

... and the little dio: I scratch built the ladder, the sound generator comes from the Hasegawa but, as the other pieces, is completely wrong so rebuilt:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it for that saga, hope you enjoy the poor-quality photos, critics happily accepted, may be I will be tempted by the FM F-4 one day! 

• Like 42

Quite superb!  Those recce Phantoms look great in the Egypt 1 colour scheme. Well done for all the extra effort put in and modifications made to the base kit - fabulous!

Mark

• Thanks 1

Beautiful recon Rhino! You nailed all the little details, and the paintwork and scuffing are very well done and representative of the type. Nice one! :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1