German camouflaged vehicle shelters Normandy

Knevi

In his "D-Day to Berlin", while discussing German camo, Terence Wise refers to

"...hundreds of camouflaged shelters...built along the roadsides...in northern France".

I guessed that they were built by pioneer regiments rather than ad hoc and so there would be some unity of construction to them. I've nurtured the idea of a vignette of including such a shelter but I haven't found any definitive pics of them in use.

There are lots of views of AFV's in hedgerows, woods, verges etc but can anyone point me to a description or depiction of such a shelter or has research moved on as to their existence? 

more than likely means the shelter halves that the German infantry were issued with and more than likely vehicle crews got either issued or managed to get hold of, i think they are called zeltbahn if you google it they come up 

36 minutes ago, WYATT said:

more than likely means the shelter halves that the German infantry were issued with and more than likely vehicle crews got either issued or managed to get hold of, i think they are called zeltbahn if you google it they come up 

Thanks for the response. I read it as being a more permanent structure used as a turnout to accommodate vehicles and tanks.

there would be photos and I don't ever recall seeing anything like that, you would camo the vehicle using cam nets etc but cant see anything permanent being built 

6 minutes ago, Phil1960 said:

Hi Knevi, I dont know is this can be useful but these fake weapons in Normandy 1944 are very interesting to me. Source: Wikimedia  Commons

Ciao 

Filippo

js6kGDS.jpg

Thanks Filippo. They do look like interesting diversions

On 17/02/2022 at 17:34, Bozothenutter said:

Didn't the Germans use one man bunkers?

😡 won't let me add links...

Just google "german one man bunker"

Those things scare me to death. Thanks for the reply but I'm trying to track down a shelter for an AFV.

I can see the idea of preparing hides for formations held in reserve further south in case they were called forward, perhaps in response to an invasion alert.  I believe the Russians did something similar for vehicles moving forward for one of their offensives.

But as people have said, the lack of any evidence suggests not.  I can't believe that no-one in Allied forces photographed them or even made use of them and that they have never been noted in any accounts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Das Abteilung said:

I can see the idea of preparing hides for formations held in reserve further south in case they were called forward, perhaps in response to an invasion alert.  I believe the Russians did something similar for vehicles moving forward for one of their offensives.

Yup. @Das Abteilung is correct.

Pretty simple to make camouflaged hides from natural materials, as long as you don't kill the trees, and have a sea of dead brown in a forrest of green.