A new email scam

Whofan

I've had two emails today from McAfee telling me my subscription has expired, and providing me with a link to register my software and continue being protected from viruses.

Guess What? it's a scam ! usual indicators, spelling mistakes/bad grammar, email from someone other than McAfee, and I haven@ had McAfee for donkey's years.

Apparently there's also a slightly more sophisticated scam email doing the rounds for Norton anti virus, which looks like an invoice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Had the McAfee yesterday. Straight in the bin. Never used it, and I finished with Norton years ago.

which is also where the scan emails I received went. These people must get old lists of email addresses and just send out thousands of millions of emails in the hope a few bite.

I last used Norton back in Windows 3.11 days, I think, and I don't recall ever using McAfee.

I had one this morning allegedly from Square (the website providers) stating that they have updated their T&Cs, the email address even looked somewhat correct. I don't have any business with them so straight in the bin it went.

Duncan B

Recently I've been getting a lot of scam emails telling me my paypal account has been suspended and I can't use it till I send some info

I only wish it was true

It would curb my spending buying more models on ebay, or from Jadlam, or from Hannants or from . . . . 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 15/02/2022 at 22:05, Whofan said:

I've had two emails today from McAfee telling me my subscription has expired, and providing me with a link to register my software and continue being protected from viruses.

Guess What? it's a scam ! usual indicators, spelling mistakes/bad grammar, email from someone other than McAfee, and I haven@ had McAfee for donkey's years.

Apparently there's also a slightly more sophisticated scam email doing the rounds for Norton anti virus, which looks like an invoice.

yeah I got mine today.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rugbyfan said:

yeah I got mine today.

While it's easy enough to spot most of these, forwarned is forarmed, so if I help, I'm glad!

Incidentally, are you a French rugby fan?

If so,  I'm looking forward to the Wales v France game, on the 11th March, and the France v England game on 19th March.

Allez  Pays de Galles !! (I'm Welsh, you see)

For me it’s simple. If addressed to ‘Dear Customer’ and not naming me, it’s most likely a scam. Before binning, I forward to phishing@[insert company name].co.uk or .com and suggest that the investigate.

That is all.

1 hour ago, Whofan said:

While it's easy enough to spot most of these, forwarned is forarmed, so if I help, I'm glad!

Incidentally, are you a French rugby fan?

If so,  I'm looking forward to the Wales v France game, on the 11th March, and the France v England game on 19th March.

Allez  Pays de Galles !! (I'm Welsh, you see)

oh yes I am, and very happy with the way the team is going. I  am looking forward to the wales game as well, for some reason this one was always a special one for me, ever since I started watching the 5 nations in the 80's.

• Like 1

There's something along the same lines doing the rounds here at the moment, except that it's using SMS texts rather than emails. You get an SMS to say "We've shipped your order", or something similar, and giving a link to a "tracking" site. The message comes from an unrecognised (well, in my case, anyway) source, and the "tracking" link is equally dodgy - not from any trader with whom I've had any dealings. The only orders I have outstanding at the moment are from the Big H, and I know that they don't do business this way. A new variation this week has been one from an equally unknown source to advise that my order "couldn't be delivered", and giving a clickable link to another dodgy "tracking" site. There have been several of this kind of message, and I've canned the lot - I'm sure that no good will come from following up on any of them.

I suppose the perpetrators of this kind of scam must be sucking enough people in to make the effort worthwhile ...

• Sad 2

On 17/02/2022 at 20:00, rugbyfan said:

oh yes I am, and very happy with the way the team is going. I  am looking forward to the wales game as well, for some reason this one was always a special one for me, ever since I started watching the 5 nations in the 80's.

One of the most galling things for me as a Welshman is we can be some points up, the French haven't been playing too well, there's about 5 or 6 minutes left, and then all of a sudden they'll pull a couple of pieces of magic out of nowhere and win.

I can't remember how many times I've seen France do that at rugby, probably at least once a season in the 6/5/4 nations, going bck as far as 1958/59 which is when I am sure I have memories of watching the games on tv with my dad.

I also think that the two must watch games in the 6 nations are France/Wales and France/England,  so I expect we wil both be setting those afternoons aside for nothing but Rugby!

On 20/02/2022 at 11:45, Whofan said:

One of the most galling things for me as a Welshman is we can be some points up, the French haven't been playing too well, there's about 5 or 6 minutes left, and then all of a sudden they'll pull a couple of pieces of magic out of nowhere and win.

I can't remember how many times I've seen France do that at rugby, probably at least once a season in the 6/5/4 nations, going bck as far as 1958/59 which is when I am sure I have memories of watching the games on tv with my dad.

yes we often seem to find a way, but having said that you had Neil Jenkins. He was lethal and from a french point of view , demoralising.

On 20/02/2022 at 11:45, Whofan said:

I also think that the two must watch games in the 6 nations are France/Wales and France/England,  so I expect we wil both be setting those afternoons aside for nothing but Rugby!

yes these are the 2 highlights of the calendar for me. I can't wait.

• Thanks 1

And here's another, allegedly from PayPal:

"Hello [my email address],

An attempt was made to sign in to your account from another device. Please check and validate whether it is you or not.

Date     : Wed, February 23, 2022
Device  : Windows XP

Please open our confirmation page and enter your personal data for validation

Login to My account [a clickable link]

Wait for our team to review your details and restore your account. Please do not tell anyone about this.

Sirencely,
PayPal support team"

It's the second one I've had today; the first was identical, other than that the device was a Mac OS X in French Guiana.

Both were sent with "high priority".

Yeah, like I'm going to fall for that, especially with "Sirencely" and the sender coming up as "[email protected]". Needless to say, they have both been deleted.

Be alert - they're out there in droves!

Edit: And I've had the sender of these little gems blocked - a good way to deal with this kind of low life.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Here's a new one I got for the first time today:

Dear Customer,

Your package has a £3.00 Unpaid shipping fee, if you do not pay this, your package will be returned to sender. .

Please try to pay the shipping fees before 06/07/2022 .

Your parcel was returned to our depot and you need to reschedule your package delivery.

Please reschedule your package delivery by pressing ' Link Bellow ' and one of our drivers will attempt to deliver your package

https://royalmail.com/9838221459117/

The layout and graphics were nice and neat, and I was looking at it on my phone, so couldn't hover over the URL to check it.  The short deadline was a clue, but the spelling of "Link Bellow" gave the game away.  When I checked it on my desktop, sure enough the link led somewhere else entirely, and the layout wasn't great, with stretched out RM logo and everything left justified with no paragraph breaks.  Still a reasonable attempt, so one to beware of :yes:

• Like 1

when dealing with paypal, the whole thing is a scam. 

Did you know that if you pay using paypal ANYWHERE other then the Paypal Website, after logging into your account, or on Ebay itself... its almost always going to be a scam

I've had a variant on the delivery scam, a couple of emails purporting to be from DHL, about missed deliveries.

I can't remember if DHL have been mentioned as being used by the scammers before, but forewarned is ....

SMS a couple of days ago from a mobile number telling me I had been in close contact with someone who tested positive for Omicron

Wanted me to login to a website to order a PCR test, but had to pay 99p postage.

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

I've had a variant on the delivery scam, a couple of emails purporting to be from DHL, about missed deliveries.

I can't remember if DHL have been mentioned as being used by the scammers before, but forewarned is ....

all shipping companies are used, though the smarter scammers use ones native to a victims region.

I got another one today purporting to be from Evri, which is the new name for that stinker of a courier Hermes.  Only the names have been changed to protect the guilty.  Anyway, they wanted £1.95 "delivery fee" whatever that was, and gave me a link that I couldn't check because it was in a text message.  :poop:to them.  I hope that text cost them money :wicked: