Free French Air Force P47D

Hello all. :)

I've been looking at this GB since it started, but havent had the time to join, before now! 
First of all, I hope it's okay to join with a P47d. It will be armed with some bombs or maybe rockets :D If not, I'll remove this post, and make something else :) 

The kit is from tamiya, and it does look very good at first sight :)

It will be build as the free french air force as it was in 1945, using some of the decals from the huge armycast decal set. The later plan, is to make more than this one ;) 

The plan was to make two P47D, one with this Tamiya kit, and one with revell P47M - but as far as I can read, there are some differences, the cockpit floor, the propeller, and something about the engine. Being afraid of making a hassle of things, the revell kit will be stored for now. 

However, I find it wierd that most of the aircraft shown in the armycast decal instructions, which is P47D, have a dorsal fin in front of their tale, and that this is not included in the tamiya kit. But I have just ordered 2 resin aftermarket parts for the next tamiya kit :)
But, luckily, the Free french plane here, did'nt have that fin, so I should be able to build i straight OOB :) 
Lets get started :)

The packet :D
y4mQvCOb861ClICQzAMJod9vuxttVN7z9VBGgdoo

The sprues:

y4muTk7Porr3s8gPus5cLkQh63__C0i40Gq--OkY

The aircraft I'm trying to make ;)
y4mjJUllDlaqsUwdDwzRmdMDO-IanD2KiAHCa5sA

The decals for all 19 aircrafts
y4mwsTbNZN7tCwKatGoDS6cxnicBEYcJFAxW2W7f

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Cool subject choice B) Although I can foresee several more P-47 kits in your future with all those marking options to choose from :D

Yes. The Iranian one with a green nose is next 😉 As soon as my resin part arrives, I will begin til build🤟 

• Like 1

Got a bit more done today. Painted the engine and til inside of the engine cowling, following the tamiya instructions, so hopefully they are correct :D So far this kit must be one of the best kit, at least in 1/72 scale, I've ever come across. Everything fits so well, and there is no flash, nearly no sink marks and the detailing is good for 1/72 i think. Next step is to drill out the holes for the bombs under the wings :)
y4mapvBe3cp9Ywpy0uC9A0jOHQCR-tWCZaGK3xJA

• Like 4

On 2/22/2022 at 7:13 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

It looks very similar to their 1/48 version. You get all the same parts which is really good.

I'll have to build that one day! This kit is very very good. Maybe one with invasion bands would look great 😄

A little update! Everything is now build (not assemble, but cut from sprue, and ready for paint :) )  The set have been a complete joy to build, no filler have been used at all. Compared to my latest build (a KP su 22) this was very good for my modelbuilding mojo ;)

The plane - with a lumb of "gum" to protect the painted engine 
y4meo8bDUOW-aKCvCy1oYI4uWK6l0HyJklFe0lB8

The loose parts :) 

y4mXtKmmwbOOf2gBzRoO1P-uYOeuMuDPsnsxFELf

The build as it was last night :) White has been applied for stripes, then masked off, ready for black. The painting guide says the stripes have to be 2,8 mm - I didnt have tape at that dimension offcourse, so it was a bit tedious making it, but think it will be good :)

y4mGcu8jszVnc55dTIHfvimC28vn7IA5u38F37Az 

• Like 5

Paintwork finished. Small spots to fix, but overall I'm pleased! The modelmaster green is VERY matt, and the AK grey is slightly gloss, looks a bit wierd at the moment I think :) But it will proberly not be something to notice later :)

Paint used is:

Model master FS34087 olivedrab

AK real colours FS 36118 medium gunship grey

AK real colours white and black for stribes
AK real colour Zinc chromate yellow for wheelwells and doors 

y4mX-vt7lDLeqy3npP0QpezykbteGiZuy2IRevbU

• Like 5

So thing suddenly went fast, and the model is now finished 🤠

The kit was just sublime, so many fine details, very good, crips panellines. Cant really put my fingers on anything. 
I however have to find myself a new clear coat, then one I'm working with at the moment is'nt working for me, always small issues, but this time it just wasnt coming together as I wanted it. As a result there is some weathering under both "71" marks, which didnt become really obvious until the matt coat 😕 Anyways, I think it look good enough to place on my shelf :)

Here are some pictures of the completed model:
y4mE6rjcMF87p_Qcz-H0oJ8bSfl_ydjXeuZA8fiF

y4mtKehQNiS_1iwsaW8As_IrjW9oGMhWeww4a4wM

y4m7szq6ts99no1tjyZrjryL_RbTpp6w6sgtZ8WT

y4m7O0GmuDr8iR9zrOndcN4TNVoszEYcCHSIxk4_

y4mNs9bJh-ppdNSUdOWYEljinM2ehniR9tTwiyVu

y4mVzfxbNVluwEaB0W5hRpU5uuEMS3bmNsfQMQWH

y4mX4S3kdd0imZqMS2SNcG8SZNEmALbOPqag002j

• Like 8