Ju-87B, Ju-87D, Ju-87G overall length- which kits are accurate?

72modeler

I remember seeing some web page which also discussed comparison of 1/72nd scale Stukas, but they went step further and compared the wings and undercarriage as well.

They found out and based it with photo comparison that distance between u/c legs is also not the same among these kits.

Ever since I have been trying to find this web page again, but without success.

12 hours ago, Chuck1945 said:

Until actual front end dimensions are available, measuring various kits probably doesn’t accomplish much insofar as determining which, if any, of the existing D/G kits are at least close to reality.

We can however say which ones of them are wrong, because they result in an excessive length.  Given than the kits discussed all agree on the firewall to rudder trailing edge, it is not unreasonable to take this as a basis until proven otherwise.  That leaves the argument I have been making for some years now - if the D nose was longer, then why?  Manufacturers do not do such things for no good reason, and over such short distances changes in length will show where these changes apply - which they do not.

72modeller: I found your comparison of the kits useful in other areas.  Notably the radiator fairing length and the rudder width.  I must admit that I was expecting to find that at least someone had taken the extra length out by smearing it overall: presumably the modern trend of making a basic tooling stretch over several variants contributed t avoiding this - a message perhaps for other companies who have not adopted this practice?

On 2/19/2022 at 10:37 AM, Graham Boak said:

That leaves the argument I have been making for some years now - if the D nose was longer, then why?  Manufacturers do not do such things for no good reason, and over such short distances changes in length will show where these changes apply - which they do not.

The Jumo 211 was larger and  more powerful than the Jumo 210. Measures given in wiki.edu.vn, in mm, are:

Jumo 210:   l = 1478, h = 960, w = 686; weight 442kg

Jumo 211J: l = 1745, h= 1059, w = 804; weight = 640kg 

Thank you all for a most interesting thread!

Richard

• Like 1

Excuse me, Gentlemen - I'm probably from some other fairy tale, but one thing I cannot understand. Over the past 3 years, in two (or three) threads, some 30 guys are throwing around with arguments, using sources poor like a willow twig. Yet the world's ONLY complete surviving Ju-87D/G is DISPLAYED at the RAF Museum Hendon in a city of 10 million, which is home to at least several hundred visitors to this forum.

There are a dozen or so aircraft with the "only one in the world" status in the Polish Aviation Museum in Krakow. And I'm not talking about Polish sports planes from the 1950s, but also about WW1 machines, such as the Grigorovich M-15, LVG B.II or Siemens Schuckert D.IV. And if any of you needed to know any dimension of any of these planes - say, for example, the width of the Albatros B.I tailskid, then it would take a week at most to publish such a parameter on the BM forum.

Is it really impossible for anyone to drive up to Colindale and ask a museum employee to measure the distance from the edge of the cockpit windshield to the rear edge of the spinner with a tape measure? After all, the difference in the data from the so-called "sources" exceeds 40cm, so even if this measurement in Hendon would be inaccurate by an inch, the answer would still be unambiguous.

Cheers

Michael

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KRK4m said:

Over the past 3 years, in two (or three) threads, some 30 guys are throwing around with arguments,

In this thread, in the linked post and the one after, there are photos of B and D airframes with cowl off.  so you can see engine bearers, exhaust position etc. The conclusion is the D engine is not appreciably longer,   

But a good point about asking Hendon.  

• Like 1